May Locations

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just stopped at a pilot on i40 in tn. They had 3 self checkout counters.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

kurtkaoss

Active Expediter
Good weekend off. Got to spend time with my mom that I haven't seen in over a year. Now sitting in the yard, waiting to run hard the next few weeks. Hope you all had a great day, and a very Happy Mother's Day to all the moms who read this.

Sent from my Fisher Price Speak and Spell.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
What a crazy week. Thru a variety of circumstances plus a cancelled run, etc... I had nothing.. spent the day with my honey, the kids and grandkids.. didn't figure on going out, but Caryn called and talked me into picking up one bound for the yard.. so guess I'll see how many are up there in the morn.

Dale

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
We saw those too. Sheesh I refuse to use self checkout. Just another employee that lost there job.

Sent from my XT897 using EO Forums mobile app

If I wanted to check stuff out, I'll fill out a application for employment.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no problems with self checkout, kinda nice to have an option. Never seen anyone forced to is them.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'd rather use them like at a walmart..they're quicker usually and for the most part I think they don't have the impulse items and candy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have no problems with self checkout, kinda nice to have an option. Never seen anyone forced to is them.
I went to a Kroger once at about 2AM and the only checkouts were self-checkouts. Manager said from midnight to 6AM it's self-checkout only.

I don't much like effectively working for the store for free, performing functions that a paid cashier would do (scanning items, bagging items, transacting). I wouldn't mind it if there was a 5-10 percent discount or something, because that's what shelf-checkout saves the store. At least in theory. In reality, theft, either intentional or unintentional, is five times higher in places with self-checkout. You can scan your Starbucks as bananas, leave items in the cart or reusable bag instead of scanning them, and overload the bagging area so that un-scanned merchandise can be piled on without being sensed.

Of course, newer and better and much more expensive self-checkout machines are coming out that will reduce theft. One kind has a conveyor belt that scans everything automatically, even unmarked produce. That machine has a cost recovery of about 40 years versus the cost of a paid cashier, though.

Giant Eagle's self-checkout lanes can only be used by customers who have a Giant Eagle Loyalty Card. If you're stealing, they want to know who you are, so swiping your loyalty card before stealing is a must.

Albertsons has stopped using self-checkout. They say it's because of the reduced customer experience, as most people say interaction with the human being cashier enhances the customer experience, but it's also to reduce theft. Plus, they noted that self-checkout is basically a high-maintenance money pit that transfers jobs from cashiers to higher cost maintenance and repair companies.

Plus, despite the increased prevalence of self-checkout opportunities, self-checkout transactions are down to 16% from 22% just three years ago. Some people really like it. Most don't. Especially if you get behind someone with hundreds of dollars worth of groceries, where confusion over coupons, items that don't scan, "unexpected item in bag" and "please wait for help" is a regular occurrence.

Don't do self-checkout and ask for cash back. You'll probably get it just fine, but if you don't get it, the only witness to the failed transaction is the cashier. Good luck with that.

I rarely use self-checkout, just on principle, but the only place I don't mind using it is at a Fresh and Easy Market (that is about to go out of business) because they opened up from the start with self-checkout, specifically to keep prices lower (and they are lower), and they have two self-checkout lanes per one employee to ensure things go smoothly (and they do). I just wish Fresh and Easy Markets were someplace besides Phoenix, Vegas and LA.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cha badda Ching Yazoo City, MS to Hamilton, OH......Dollas.....spent lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app