Maxx Automotive Corporation

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I have a GMC extended on a 155" and am interested too, in the GM 159" cutaway with a cube back like this.

I remember looking at their site earlier in the summer and finding it confusing.

It's partly due to bad design, partly due to conflicting info and images. The pics don't always correspond to the vehicle being described, and even the descriptions seem to conflict with themselves. I'd be surprised if their products even look like the images, which seem to maybe have been borrowed?

The image at the top of Freedom Express 3500 159" WB (FedEx Home) show a vehicle with rear fenders and the images at the bottom with none. I don't think any of the images on that page are of 159" wb.

Their disclaimer at the bottom of that page could indicate that they've had problems from customers before. It's kind of unusual to see that sort of disclaimer promoted so boldly on a site. It would usually, I would think, be included in any contract one might sign and perhaps in small print on a promotional piece in house. Seeing it like that kind of sways me from dealing with them, to be honest.

I'll be interested to see what info develops from those talking directly to the various parties, and will share anything I find, too.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I added to my previous post #20 to help clear some stuff up. Like I said their web site is not put together well at all. Hopefully their trucks are better than their web site.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The image at the top of Freedom Express 3500 159" WB (FedEx Home) show a vehicle with rear fenders and the images at the bottom with none. I don't think any of the images on that page are of 159" wb.
I agree. I do believe the van pictured at the bottom is 155" wb. I base this on the location of the fuel fill door in relation to the rear axle. But, there is more overhang behind the rear axle than what a stock 155" van would have. Also the exhaust has been reworked, both my 1998 and my current 2004 have the exhaust piped out the passenger side. Unless GM has made a change recently.

Their disclaimer at the bottom of that page could indicate that they've had problems from customers before. It's kind of unusual to see that sort of disclaimer promoted so boldly on a site. It would usually, I would think, be included in any contract one might sign and perhaps in small print on a promotional piece in house. Seeing it like that kind of sways me from dealing with them, to be honest.

I'll be interested to see what info develops from those talking directly to the various parties, and will share anything I find, too.

A member sent me a p.m. mentioning 3 people that were not happy dealing with Maxx Automotive Group, citing broken promises, deposits not refunded and specifications not up to spec.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
No doubt that their website is a confusing mess. I did stop there and look at their UltraMax vans last year and found Tom Meeks to be courteous and professional. If your in the Nashville area, I would suggest a trip to meet them in person.

Purgoose, if it's not a stretch...please explain the 159" wb (139" wb conversion) statement clearly noted on their spec sheet. You would think that with the amount of money that has to be involved in putting something like this together, they would get their website accurate?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Any dealings with Maxx Auto leads back to TurtleTop ... I suggest you make the call to TurtleTop and get the info yourself .... I actually visited the plant there in Indana and was given the tour. The units end up being to heavy for expediting, though the size is great.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
No doubt that their website is a confusing mess. I did stop there and look at their UltraMax vans last year and found Tom Meeks to be courteous and professional. If your in the Nashville area, I would suggest a trip to meet them in person.

Purgoose, if it's not a stretch...please explain the 159" wb (139" wb conversion) statement clearly noted on their spec sheet. You would think that with the amount of money that has to be involved in putting something like this together, they would get their website accurate?

GM cuttaways are 139" and 159". Extended vans are 155". I used the word conversion because to me it is a conversion. Again, they have two 139" w/12' cargo and the 159" w/14' cargo.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Any dealings with Maxx Auto leads back to TurtleTop ... I suggest you make the call to TurtleTop and get the info yourself .... I actually visited the plant there in Indana and was given the tour. The units end up being to heavy for expediting, though the size is great.

I don't know what weight you are looking for but an Ultra Maxx can be brought in just under 7,000pds. But that doesn't mean you can't haul more. All I am interested in is the occasional 3 pallet load close to 3K. We are in contact with Turtle Top as well as those who are hauling freight with them.
Goes back to my original post that I would not do business with Maxx and know of people who have had problems with them and don't recommend them. But other people might not have problems with them, people have to make that call for themselves. Originally I posted that picture in response to people wanting something that compares with a Sprinter. That's as close as I've seen.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know what weight you are looking for but an Ultra Maxx can be brought in just under 7,000pds. But that doesn't mean you can't haul more. All I am interested in is the occasional 3 pallet load close to 3K. We are in contact with Turtle Top as well as those who are hauling freight with them.
Goes back to my original post that I would not do business with Maxx and know of people who have had problems with them and don't recommend them. But other people might not have problems with them, people have to make that call for themselves. Originally I posted that picture in response to people wanting something that compares with a Sprinter. That's as close as I've seen.

7000 lbs before personal goods that's pretty darn heavy.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hazmat's Ford terramax (same as the ultramax just on a Ford chasis) weighed in at 6775 lbs before he started working on it. Yeah, 7,000 lbs is heavy, but it still has 3,200 lbs of payload before hitting the 10,000 lb gvwr. Compared to a Sprinter with an 8,550 gvwr...Im betting the payload is close to the same. The personal stuff in either van would vary widely per individual but would effect each van the same per individual.

Purgoose...Im not referring to anything you said about the 139" conversion. Im referring to the exact words written on the spec sheet for the Freedom van on the Maxx website.

I dont think you can get that 159" wb cutaway chasis in a srw. It is a drw with a heavier gvwr that would have to be down rated just like the cargomax is. I have never heard of the 155" wb regular van until this thread. If chevy builds that in srw under 10k gvwr and with a 14' load floor...that is where all of these people missed the boat.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Someone should call the fleet manager of a Chevy dlr on the wb issue. Or a builder like baybridge.
I think the 159 wb option was available as single or dual wheeled. Possibly only to body builders/ rv builders. We'd haul hundreds per week to northern,In from Wentzville, Mo.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have a GMC extended on a 155" and am interested too, in the GM 159" cutaway with a cube back like this.

What is the gvwr on your van? What length of load space do you have?
It seems like they would have just used a van like yours and extended the roof...maybe extend the length if thats what they are doing. Im not sure that add on to the length would work out so well though. I would definitely want to take a close look at that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hazmat's Ford terramax (same as the ultramax just on a Ford chasis) weighed in at 6775 lbs before he started working on it. Yeah, 7,000 lbs is heavy, but it still has 3,200 lbs of payload before hitting the 10,000 lb gvwr. Compared to a Sprinter with an 8,550 gvwr...Im betting the payload is close to the same. The personal stuff in either van would vary widely per individual but would effect each van the same per individual.

Purgoose...Im not referring to anything you said about the 139" conversion. Im referring to the exact words written on the spec sheet for the Freedom van on the Maxx website.

I dont think you can get that 159" wb cutaway chasis in a srw. It is a drw with a heavier gvwr that would have to be down rated just like the cargomax is. I have never heard of the 155" wb regular van until this thread. If chevy builds that in srw under 10k gvwr and with a 14' load floor...that is where all of these people missed the boat.

I agree about payload but as a general rule the more weight your moving down the road the worse the mpg.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

It is available in SRW and 9900 gvw with a 57 gallon tank. Chevy salesman who I have purchased multiple vans from has spec'd it out for me on a 2013 chassis. You can also get it in a 2012 chassis. You have to order it from the factory with the Ambulance emergency vehicle combination. It's a $1900 upgrade that includes the bigger gas tank, high idle switch, 170 amp alternator, addtional wiring for satillite upgrades etc.

Like I said in an Ambulance pkg. All I'm interested in is hauling 3000k or there abouts. I'm looking for comfort and a nice ride. This is my last ride and I'm going to do what I want to do for once.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The GMC Savannas have a GWVR of 8600# for the 2500 and 9600# for the 3500.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/gvwr11.htm

The way I have mine set up, allowing for a sideways bed (folds away and can be used lengthwise along the wall when empty) and storage area directly behind the seats, I have 109" of free floor space. Two 8' E tracks with sideways E tracks at foot and head.

If you eliminate that bed/storage area you cam have 144" approx to the base of the seats.

With my side cabinets running the length of the cargo area (3/8 ply tight to the wheel wells) I have 51" between the wheels.

I don't think Ford vans have a long wheelbase option like GM vans do and their extended body vans have more hanging behind the rear axle. I'd rather have my load, whether cargo or vancamping setup, distributed over the longer wb.

I find it curious GM does a 155" wb chassis as standard for their extended body vans but changes it 159" for the cutaways. I'm sure there is some reason.

I'd love a GMC 159" wb cutaway with SRW to put a box onto.

I wonder if the folks that do the body's for Road Trek campervans (they flare out the sides, making it wider inside) might be a possible source for bodies or wisdom on where to go.

I wonder how strong the upper rear door area is on the Freedom/Maxx and just how stable the whole box is. Love to lay my hands on one to explore.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont think you can get that 159" wb cutaway chasis in a srw. It is a drw with a heavier gvwr that would have to be down rated just like the cargomax is.

I believe GM quit making the 159" SRW a few years ago. Chef Dennis had his 159" DRW chassis converted to an SRW and GVWR down rated. Hopefully he will weigh in soon on this issue.

I have never heard of the 155" wb regular van until this thread. If chevy builds that in srw under 10k gvwr and with a 14' load floor...that is where all of these people missed the boat.
GM's extended van does have a 155" wb and has been offered for at least 15 years but it sure doesn't have 14' feet of floor space.