March, Spring is on its way!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Will have to check, but I don't think we have an option for that. Might be personal and then send in a free form message.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will have to check, but I don't think we have an option for that. Might be personal and then send in a free form message.

I was just thinking there should be no chance to be disqualified for layover because we go OOS because of weather as that is a safety issue...the reason why would help make that designation and Joe wouldn't have to guess at it....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That is a tough one. The other side of the coin is layover is intended to compensate when we are unable to load the truck. Like the airlines, weather is really an "act of god".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So a truck sits out here for say 72 hours and a storm comes in and the driver shuts it down goes OOS like the rules say...and he/she gets dinged for the layover pay....Sir.....

Like yours truly...just waiting for the roads to clear and BACK in service...and I didn't go home either....I think there is wiggle room in there IMO.....

to clarify...I'd already done my 48 hrs in purgatory...and was on my own dime when I went OOS.....

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No I would say if a truck went oos due to weather AFTER the time period due to weather and then came back in service I would still consider that valid.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I would say if a truck went oos due to weather AFTER the time period due to weather and then came back in service I would still consider that valid.

Thank you for your clarification on that, SIR.....Have a great day.....:)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
its just layover, no rules say you have to go OOS because of weather. simply tell dispatch if they call you for a load during bad weather what your current conditions are, work with them and let them take care of the rest. that is what they are there for. if it gets bad enough you have to stop they will work with the customer. OOS is OOS, unless put out for some reason, you choose that designation on your own.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
its just layover, no rules say you have to go OOS because of weather. simply tell dispatch if they call you for a load during bad weather what your current conditions are, work with them and let them take care of the rest. that is what they are there for. if it gets bad enough you have to stop they will work with the customer. OOS is OOS, unless put out for some reason, you choose that designation on your own.

That works for you.....you have a place for your load....we CVers have to sleep with it....I won't take a load knowing I can't complete it, just to have a load on the truck...it is safer for that load in YOUR truck or on the dock....

actually YES there is a rule...if you are not going to take a load for whatever reason...you go OOS.....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
yes, that is true. i was referring to a bad weather rule. also talking to dispatch could get a load on the van that actualy still gives you room to sleep.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
actually YES there is a rule...if you are not going to take a load for whatever reason...you go OOS.....

I believe that was drummed into our heads a few months back. Why waste dispatches time looking for loads for you, if you have no intention of taking one.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes, that is true. i was referring to a bad weather rule. also talking to dispatch could get a load on the van that actualy still gives you room to sleep.

Seems like it is none stop bad weather, my crystal ball is not as clear as it used to be :rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure why we should be eligible for layover because of weather related OOS. Some people stay in service and deal with it. If a person makes a choice to go OOS that's on them. Start paying for weather related OOS and even more of the fleet will be unavailable. Also it opens the whole can of worms about what weather is bad enough to qaulify?

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure why we should be eligible for layover because of weather related OOS. Some people stay in service and deal with it. If a person makes a choice to go OOS that's on them. Start paying for weather related OOS and even more of the fleet will be unavailable. Also it opens the whole can of worms about what weather is bad enough to qaulify?

EXACTLY !!!!!!!! Its a personal choice, no layover.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

READ what I posted.....I had in EXCESS of 48 hours served...I was on my OWN DIME......gee whiz.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You don't see how that creates confusion?

It does when you only took part of the quote from part the whole conversation....
It was in reference to having a comment box OR as John suggested to send a free form to address the situation....so Joe didn't have to guess as to what was happening....and maybe wrongfully disqualify someone...

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry I can only comment on what someone writes not what they think. Now I have to get an Ovm decoder ring too. :)