March Banter and Location

Work4free

Active Expediter
Just wondering if theres anything we as drivers can do to improve the varity of freight we haul. I notice when I get to a lot of shippers they have calenders from diffrent carriers. Maybe we could do that, hand out small desk calenders, thoese magnet things with our logo that stick to metal....like fileing cabinets......or how about pens.....with our logo just leave them behind when you sign your paperwork.........sorry about spelling... :p tried to download spell check and got confused with all the web sites I was shot to. Last I would guess if you had any insight or leads on new customers , sales would love the the info.....and if you get to thinking your not being heard.....post it here in a nice way......and Mr E will go get some answers/Kick some assets. I bet:eek:

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Not that handing out pens , calenders, ect ect is a bad thing but most times if we are under contract of a bid board (NLMI for example) there is a clause in the contract stating we can not target the shippers directly for their business. Of course this is a very general explanation on why we can't just target every place we pick up or deliver freight to.

Word of mouth works great. New owners and drivers joining the Load-1 fleet are a vaulable source of information. You bring with you, your knowledge of your previous carriers customer base. This is information that can be passed on to our sales force in the hopes of securing more freight from more customers. This does not mean Load-1 will get it all as John has stated we sell a service not a cheap price. Others are loyal to their current carriers.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just wondering if theres anything we as drivers can do to improve the varity of freight we haul. I notice when I get to a lot of shippers they have calenders from diffrent carriers. Maybe we could do that, hand out small desk calenders, thoese magnet things with our logo that stick to metal....like fileing cabinets......or how about pens.....with our logo just leave them behind when you sign your paperwork.........sorry about spelling... :p tried to download spell check and got confused with all the web sites I was shot to. Last I would guess if you had any insight or leads on new customers , sales would love the the info.....and if you get to thinking your not being heard.....post it here in a nice way......and Mr E will go get some answers/Kick some assets. I bet:eek:

We see the freebies on a lot of shippers' desks, from other carriers, but we got the load, right? so I don't think they have much effect, really. [Tax deduction?:rolleyes:] Also, I grab a few drink cozies at the truck shows, and couldn't tell you whose name/logo is on them.....
What we can do is the best job possible, and leave every customer with a very positive impression of Load One. I've heard drivers on the docks complain about their carrier/dispatch, and it left a poor impression - we are much better than that. As ATeam might say: white glove, shmite glove - we do our best for every load.

Cuuzzz

Seasoned Expediter
Well my philosophy is pretty simple. We target steady customers with good paying freight. We don't target any particular industry. I honestly don't care what we haul. I just care that if pays well so my trucks do well. Being based in the midwest where 80% of manufacturing occurs we are always more likely to haul more auto/mfg related products. I don't think owner ops or drivers look to go to a company based on what they haul, the attraction is keeping moving and making money. Airfreight is actually one of our largest segments. But once again, auto/mfg is a big part of the airfreight market.

Funny thing is our truckload group is not a family carrier to the big 3. We have been approached many times, but we have chosen not to go that route.

You are going to see a number of good things this year. Some of them will continue to diversify our customer base. But as we grow more and more mfg companies are joining our customer base. Our brand name and our service are the only things we can sell. We are not a company who will win in a pricing war. I prefer to pull my troops back and let others fight that losing battle.

Some of my last companys biggest accounts were YRC and ABF. We done a lot of their HOT loads and ABF has a "Time Keeper" program that is a guaranteed ontime service. We would pick up at the terminals and deliver for them. These are big companys with lots of terminals. Something to keep in mind John.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some of my last companys biggest accounts were YRC and ABF. We done a lot of their HOT loads and ABF has a "Time Keeper" program that is a guaranteed ontime service. We would pick up at the terminals and deliver for them. These are big companys with lots of terminals. Something to keep in mind John.

Cuzzz...there is a lot we could be hauling, but don't....Why? because it is cheap azzzz crap....ya really want to turn your wheels for peanuts?.....John is not going to put the brand name on the cheap list...period....we sit and we wait for our price....we give the enemy no quarter, take no prisoners....the Load 1 way or no highway.....the freight will sit on the dock....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We do talk with a number of the ltl carriers concerning their "expedite" product. We have a growing relationship with one or two of them. The others so far have carriers that will pull the freight for less than we are willing.

Promo stuff is great and we go they a lot of it. Pens, rulers, note pads, model trucks, clicks you name it. But as was said, if our drivers were passing it out we would have a lot of back selling complaints out of customers and partner carriers. Best thing to do us a great job and contacted or sales with any and all leads. Sales can make sure it is something we can go after without violating rules or contract agreements.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I will leave the selling to the pro's. Best thing I can do is look and act professional, smile and say no problem if a dock worker upsets me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We came to Load 1 to be treated with respect and dignity...not just a number or a "commodity" to be traded away to the lowest bidder....when we run it is with a purpose and for a profit...not just to break even....

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think I will leave the selling to the pro's. Best thing I can do is look and act professional, smile and say no problem if a dock worker upsets me.

Definitely. My "sales" function is to make sure that my truck and I are presentable to the customer. When the true sales force calls, the customers will remember that.

Also, I never argue. If there is a problem of any sort, I call dispatch and let them deal with it.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Definitely. My "sales" function is to make sure that my truck and I are presentable to the customer. When the true sales force calls, the customers will remember that.

Also, I never argue. If there is a problem of any sort, I call dispatch and let them deal with it.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

Agreed..when I see a problem...I tell the shipper...."1 moment, Please, I have to make a call"and go back out and call dispatch....the shipper isn't always the customer in most cases....

Cuuzzz

Seasoned Expediter
Cuzzz...there is a lot we could be hauling, but don't....Why? because it is cheap azzzz crap....ya really want to turn your wheels for peanuts?.....John is not going to put the brand name on the cheap list...period....we sit and we wait for our price....we give the enemy no quarter, take no prisoners....the Load 1 way or no highway.....the freight will sit on the dock....

I understand what you are saying Ken, you make valid points. But turning my wheels is the key to paying my bills. This weeks check was 400+, last weeks check was 600+, and Im an owner. Now tell me I dont have a right to be concerned about my wheels not turning. When I have to get an extension on my phone bill, it gives me cause for concern.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand what you are saying Ken, you make valid points. But turning my wheels is the key to paying my bills. This weeks check was 400+, last weeks check was 600+, and Im an owner. Now tell me I dont have a right to be concerned about my wheels not turning. When I have to get an extension on my phone bill, it gives me cause for concern.
I know it is tough Cuzzzzz....hang in there.....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A few weeks checks is not a valid way to look at income in this business. We all want every week to be a good one but it just isn't going to happen. I know it is hard and we all fight it when we have some bad weeks but have to remind ourselves that the next few can turn it all around.

Cuuzzz

Seasoned Expediter
A few weeks checks is not a valid way to look at income in this business. We all want every week to be a good one but it just isn't going to happen. I know it is hard and we all fight it when we have some bad weeks but have to remind ourselves that the next few can turn it all around.

I know it is tough Cuzzzzz....hang in there.....

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas and you are right, but I cant write checks for bills on hope.