March 2016, where are you going ??

Leonard2015

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks Turtle for the info. I'm switching to Panther so i do have to have a class c and don't see any reason to get a passenger endorsement.
I enjoy reading the forms. :)

Reactions: Turtle

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Delivered this morning in Connecticut, now hoping for the next one west to get out of here... Things sure are crowded in the Northeast compared to Missouri...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Delivered this morning in Connecticut, now hoping for the next one west to get out of here... Things sure are crowded in the Northeast compared to Missouri...
Too True! Sitting in North Jersey. A dozen nibblrs in two days and a dozen lost worms.

Reactions: hazmat

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
There's stuff in Missouri? I knew St. Louis and Kansas City but I thought the rest was just blank space lol

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Sitting at snyders of Hanover or Hanover pretzel or pretzel town USA something to affect. Dropped my trailer now waiting for my load outta here to deliver to oakwood or oakwood village Ohio Friday morning. Qualcomm said it'll be ready at 5pm tomorrow but the shipping lady said 9am so I really hope it'll be in the morning because I'm not an expediter anymore lol

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Leonard2015
Yes, but in my experience it doesn't get you enough of them to justify the hassle and expense of the fingerprinting and background check, and the ongoing and repeated training and recertification that goes with it.

It may depend in the carrier you are with. In the days of yore when I was with Co-Way NOW, I ran enough placarded HAZMAT that I was pretty much logging all the time. When you run a placarded load you have to log your hours, and the logbook needs to show the previous 7 days to ensure you haven't run out of hours. That means when you run a placarded load, even after delivery you need to keep logging for another 7 days in case you get another placarded load within that time frame. That happened often at Con-Way NOW. Sometimes months would go by without me running a HAZMAT load, but then there's be a 4 month stretch where I was running one or more per week.

Panther was another story. Despite requiring van drivers to have a CDL of some kind, which usually meant a Class C with a HZAMAT endorsement (though A, B or a C with a Passenger endorsement was fine), they would not put placardable HAZMAT on a van. The main reason is that cargo van drivers don't know how to log, so to ask a van driver to log a load once in a blue moon was just asking for a DOT cmackdown for logbook violations, and the carrier gets enough of those with big trucks as it is. However, there are plenty of hazardous materials load which do not require placarding (like a 5-gallon bucket of paint, or a pallet containing 4 car batteries), but Panther would not put that on a van unless the driver had a HAZMAT endorsement, despite the fact that you don't need a CDL or an endorsement to haul hazardous materials which do not require placards. So at Panther, the HAZMAT endorsement won't get you any additional loads that require placards, but it will get you a LOT of loads like a pallet of hair spray, a drum of paint, a load of copper sulfate, that they would otherwise not load onto a van where the driver doesn't have the endorsement.

In the last 5 years at Load One I have hauled exactly three loads which required placards. I have hauled perhaps a dozen loads where the phone call I got was, "You can haul HAZMAT, right?" and I'd answer in the affirmative, and then I'd get to the shipper and find out the load doesn't even require placarding and thus didn't require the endorsement. rendering the question itself pointless. So I think most if not all of those particular loads I got out of sheer caution of ignorance on the part of dispatch. In that respect, yes, the endorsement got me some extra loads.

All things being equal, it is better to have the endorsement than not have it. One, because it will get you a few loads you likely wouldn't get otherwise, and two, the knowledge gained by going through the training and test materials is invaluable. It not only makes you more aware and knowledgeable of the placarded truck next to you on the roadway, but it lets you know very doubt as to whether you can haul the freight a shipper is trying to put on your van.

Having said all that, last fall when it came time to renew my CDL and the endorsement, I surrendered my CDL in favor of a regular operator's drivers license because, at Load One anyway, it just didn't get me enough loads to warrant the hassle and expense of renewing it. :)
At averitt were required to get our hazmat and tanker endorsement within the first 90 days of employment or were released from employment. But they reimburse is all associated costs. I've hauled a dry van full of drano which since its individual containers doesn't have to be placarded but have yet to have a hazmat or tanker load

tknight

Veteran Expediter
4 hrs to cross the GW Backup was miles long have no clue what the reason was but I'm now sitting at a nice hd for the rest of the afternoon cause nothing is biting except the people who work for nothing and there's lots of this here! Jersey is sunshine today gonna head south on 95 after rush hrs ends sometime after 8 I think destination unknown!

Reactions: TDave