Mammograms

Need of easier ways to get Mammograms

• Do you have annual mammograms?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I do not have regular mammograms

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I have never had a mammogram

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If the mobil mammogram bus was at truck shows would you get one?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Has a family member had breast cancer?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Join DateAug 2005LocationSilex, MO, USA.Posts5,878

[h=2]Mammogram Survey[/h]
While talking to Dorothy Cox, writer for the trucker and a breast cancer survivor we discussed how hard it is for truck drivers to schedule regular mammogram's. A group of us are working on getting a mobile mammogram bus at truck shows next year. First though we need to prove the need and we are going to do this through polls of drivers. Dorothy will be conducting a poll at MATS during the Women in Trucking Salute to Women Drivers. I told her I would post one here and then there will be another one on the Women in Trucking Facebook page.​

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
As a male, I don't know if i can comment here :D ? My wife does get them yearly, however I read a lot of conflicting info about the necessity of getting them each year and in recent news one study suggested mammograms don't reduce the risk of cancer! I don't know if I totally believe that, but it is another study to throw into the thought process. I think a mobile screening at truck shows is a great idea, at least make the resource available, going further, a mobile clinic for other stuff might be good for both male and female drivers along with a mobile dental clinic, sometimes it is very difficult to schedule these things around home time as that is sometimes a moving target.

TS

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank God for mammograms!

My sisters test spotted an abnormality and a biopsy was performed. The test came back positive and the tissue was removed.

If not for the mammogram, I might have lost her.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
I think is a fantastic idea! We are all guilty of saying "the next time I am home", but if it is made available at an event that we are planning to be at then we will take the time to do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
gunnerwife - I agree my oldest daughter really hounds me about this and I like you say next time I am hope then I forget to schedule the appointment months in advance so I can get in.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Many of you 8+ year EO veterans may remember the Rene' half of terryandrene. Once again we thank those of you that responded to her breast cancer episode with cards, flowers, prayers and support for the ordeal through which we went. Rene' had not had a mammogram for about a dozen years prior to becoming eligible for the Medicare "welcome aboard Physical" in 2005. This physical provides the Medicare program with a new member's health baseline and covers just about every test that a Primary Care Physician can think of. The results of the mammogram exam revealed several small areas in one breast that deserved a closer look. The resulting biopsies revealed some benign and some malignant areas, none of which could be felt with the self, or husband, exams. Then the consultation with five oncologists began. After talking with Chemo, radiation and surgical teams, Rene' decided that a mastectomy was the best choice for her. The thought was "better to hit a home run that try to steal second base" The surgery was successful and with prosthetics Rene's outward appearance is normal and so is her mental state for the choices made...life go's on.

For Rene', her mammogram was the beginning of a life saving event; at the very least the timing of it prevented a life of misery later. For the male readers, let's be thankful they don't use the same machine for the prostate exam.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
It would be great to see mammograms available at shows, but it would also be wonderful to see other screenings available too. Cholesterol and diabetes testing are simple and relatively inexpensive tests that are lifesaving also. If these kinds of preventative screenings were made available at truck shows throughout the year it could save more than one life.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Join DateAug 2005LocationSilex, MO, USA.Posts5,878

[h=2]Mammogram Survey[/h]
While talking to Dorothy Cox, writer for the trucker and a breast cancer survivor we discussed how hard it is for truck drivers to schedule regular mammogram's. A group of us are working on getting a mobile mammogram bus at truck shows next year. First though we need to prove the need and we are going to do this through polls of drivers. Dorothy will be conducting a poll at MATS during the Women in Trucking Salute to Women Drivers. I told her I would post one here and then there will be another one on the Women in Trucking Facebook page.​

Didn't they just find out that mammograms didn't change survival rates for breast cancer?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Didn't they just find out that mammograms didn't change survival rates for breast cancer?

I linked that study in post#2 above, just one study, I think I wouldn't let that dissuade my wife or daughters from getting them done, the frequency and age of getting the screening done does seem to be somewhat controversial.

TS