Make that Layover time pay off!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
When you're laid over somewhere for whatever reason (other than under a dispatch), lets face it, you aren't making any money unless you find another way to do so. I did!

For many years I was the storyteller around the campfire, captivating the listener's ear as I wove my stories. Don't ask me how I came up with them. I don't know, other than that they just came to me. Then I got into trucking as my career. Well we all know that with each mile that passes us by, we collect a treasure trove of life experiences and stories to tell. Plus we meet many people from whom we can draw from to create even more stories and characters. So I told even more fun and interesting stories.

Then one day after my wife telling me over and over "Gary, you need to stop giving your stories away and sit down and write them so they can be published!" the light bulb above my head lit up. For once in my life I did the right thing and took here advice! Well, actually I always do. OK, I admit it. I do most of the time. Thank God I chose to do so this time. That was almost a year ago, and thanks to her, today I am a published novelist.

My first installment being Fallen Angel Of The Highway, published by FriesenPress and available on Kindle/Nook/Google Play and FriesenPress Bookstore just to name a few venues. It is a fiction psychological romance about the makings of a homegrown terrorist in America's heartland. It explores how one of good moral upbringing can be changed into a potential monster bent on destruction. It also provokes the reader to take a moment to sit back and analyze how they treat others, how they are treated, and how one might react. If nothing else, it should cause one to become more aware of their surroundings, and maybe even see themselves as much like one of the several characters within the story. Finally, its certainly a road trip one soon wont forget, and I'm proud to say it is already receiving four and five star ratings and reviews.

Now, I did not come on EO to promote "sales" of my novel. Rather to share that if someone like me whom is not a reader (meaning likes to read books) and all but failed English classes throughout high school can sit down and write a novel and get it published, so can you! It just takes desire,creativity, time, a good publisher, and some money. Not a lot! Publishing for "self publishers" like myself has become much more affordable through the years, and you can buy as much or as little help as you need based upon your skills.

Now, we all have different interest that can be put to paper. Guess what, there is someone out their that shares that interest and would like to read what you have to share. It just takes being a salesman and selling the product, your book(s). As a contractor in the trucking industry, in a sense, isn't that what you already do, sell your services as a trucking company? You've got the skill already! Now just combine that with your creativity and all those road stories (or whatever else) you've collected along the way and have fun writing and sharing them.

Now my layover time is spent writing my next three installments in the genres of fiction. non fiction, and children's books. My next release being the story of a 1958 Harley Sportster XLH with a very rich history that came full circle after twenty-four years of being gone from our family. As I have looked for a way to retire from the trucking industry and supplement my retirement pension, I just may have found my angle, and I can do it at home in the RV as we travel this nation, one campground at a time.

Finally, just in case any of you are interested in seeing the book cover I designed for Fallen Angel Of The Highway, here's the link http://www.friensenpress.com/bookstore/title/119734000011827281, or simply type in a search for FriesenPress Bookstore and type either the book's title or my name Gary A. Hage to see the cover. I think the front cover image is quite fitting for the storyline.

Happy writing!

Last edited:

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Congratulations. I hope it is a profitable endeavor for you.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Congratulations and in my spare time I am also trying to write but will go a little different way. A friend of ours, Lisa Crane just got her book, Miles with my Master out on Amazon and they have a very unique program to get a book published.

I look forward to looking for your book and I commend you on getting it done as I am struggling with finding the time and being able to concentrate long enough. Very good use of down time though and good to hear from you again.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Thanks!

Been hanging out in the back forty of the "Team Caffee Stopping Place" in North Vegas the last few days! Its hotter than heck already here! Please pay the A/C bill!!! LOL

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Amazon does have a good program for self publishers. I plan to utilize their Audible division for the audio version of Fallen Angel Of The Highway in the next year or two.

Since I was looking for a much larger marketing spread, plus planning to go after the bookstore market in conjunction with the internet bookstore sales, FriesenPress (although a bit more costly) was a good fit for my needs.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
So i paid the bill and thanks for the reminder... It should start cooling off out there any time now and while there enjoy your stay, spend lots of money, and tell everyone HI! Just kidding though it is really weird to see our names there still.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Here is this cover that I designed for my first and recently released novel. I really liked the idea of the driver and his rig in silhouette form, as it depicts the main character's transition within the storyline!

Attachments

• Fallen Angel Of The Highway front cover.jpg
    Fallen Angel Of The Highway front cover.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 29