Major loss in the battle against cheap freight!!

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
"Texpress offers a summary. In matters like this I suggest that there will always be more thinking to do once you get to the point where a summary is possible. Expediting is an open-ended business where yesterday's events, decisions and results may be a good guide for today's, and or may or may not be a good guide for tomorrow's."

Like I said recap.. No where did I state that these were the guidelines set in stone and applicable to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texpress
1. There's always someone that will haul cheap freight, IF it may take them home, or move them from a dead area. To do so would not make them a bad business owner.

However, going to a dead area too often and using cheap freight to get out, and going home too often, will contribute to business failure. Don't lull yourself into believing that everything will be OK if you use the cheap-freight crutch to move around. Consider the wounds you inflict by going to dead areas in the first place and going home too often.

Hmm.. where did you get this from my post. I merely stated that there(with all the drivers out there) will always be a reasonable chance that someone may need to GET OUT of a dead area OR grab a cheap load to try to cover their cost to get home or back to the better lanes. I don't see anywhere in my post where I condoned "using cheap freight crutch to move around" I said to get out of a dead area. How one gets to a dead area would be a whole different subject. But from what I see here most people that reject the "cheap freight" don't do so because of the destination but more so on the amount the load offer pays.

2. It's obvious that the more trucks a carrier has the more availability they have for their shippers. It's also obvious that the carrier has no loss associated with a truck or 10 idling at the "J". Concludes that the carrier will continue to recruit because they have a minimum investment, per unit, compared to the possible return of said unit.

That is a popular notion among truckers but if you think it through, is it really true?

Yes it is really true..

If it costs a carrier nothing to add another truck, what keeps the carrier from adding one thousand more?

Good point and the answer is absolutely nothing now that the companies have moved away from the fleet "ownership". When I started in this industry the amount of carrier owned trucks -vs- that of the Owner Opps in their fleet was around approx. 70% trucks owned by the carrier to 30% owner operators. I don't think I need to explain why this has become the norm do I?

Carriers continually struggle to make their fleets "right sized" to their objectives. The costs of recruiting new trucks, servicing existing trucks and retaining existing trucks is high.

The recruiting is in place period, it's not really an additional cost per truck that is recruited. Wow, things have really changed I didn't realize that you servicing your truck cost the company anything.

A carrier that adds two new trucks for every old truck it loses will be a carrier that will soon be broke.

Are we talking about carriers or fleet owners. I really need to apologize here because I thought the gist of the drivers here as well as this thread was about independent contractors. The cost to add owner operator trucks to their fleets is nominal compared to the potential return. Of course this would be different if they were company owned trucks but again I don't see that as the case.

There is overhead associated with every truck in a carrier's fleet. That fact is not often recognized by those who say it costs nothing for carriers to add or replace trucks.

Yeah.. I think your gonna have to help me with this one. I just don't see the "overhead" for the carrier being that much. (No insurance cost, No maintenance cost, No fuel cost per say) the cost QC and some signs?

Also worth considering is the value of "good" contractors vs. the unknown value of new contractors. A good contractor is one that can be relied upon to serve the customer, abide by carrier policies, represent the company well, minimize carrier liability exposure by being safe and having no freight damage claims, etc. A supply/demand policy of running an oversize fleet and replacing those that leave brings in costs and risks associated with adding unproven contractors to the mix.

Where this may sound good as reply on an internet forum it is some what of a naive statement if it weren't the carriers would not give me the time of day "right now". The fact that "any" carrier is talking to me let alone every one I've contacted speaks directly to the problems with this statement.

3. The more toys you have on your truck the more potential to make $$ you have, as well as the better chance to stay close to the freight lanes. (Refer, climate, Lift, etc..)

As one who runs a fully-equipped truck, I would not put it quite that way. The first part is true. The more kinds of freight your truck equipment and credentials can expose you to, the better off you are.

Regarding freight lanes, the advantage is not keeping you close to them but greatly expanding your reach from a remote area or even a busy one

Hmm.. I'm glad you put in some examples cuz I really don't know what this means. Don't get me wrong it sounds good but..

Example 1: A profitable load in which we dead headed 1,000 miles from Chicago to pick up a load in New England and drive it to the West Coast,--- would have been better if we could have found a paying load to New England?.

Example 2: A profitable load on Thankgiving weekend in which from Portland, Oregon, we received an offer to pick up in Arizona and deliver in Pennsylvania.

Example 3: A profitable load in which we deadheaded 1,000 miles from Denver to pick up in Washington state and deliver on the East Coast.

Examples 1, 2 and 3 are not typical runs. I share them to illustrate my point about extended range.

Not trying to sound stupid here but the only thing that I see is extended dead head. Granted with your rig these loads that you dead headed too may have been specialized and paid great but frankly I was taught years back that an empty truck is a worthless truck.

If we were offered a load today to go to say Portland, Oregon (a dead area according to some), and if the money was right, we would not hesitate to take the load.

Well sure you would I don't see any reason why you wouldn't and as I said earlier I don't think it's the destination that makes drivers turn down freight.

We believe (note the word believe) that our equipment and credentials would get us out of Portland and that we would have no need to use "cheap" freight to do it.

No doubt that eventually you will find a load out of Portland. Whether it has to do with you having better equipment may or may not come into play. My statement about an empty truck being worthless applies to parked trucks as well.

This belief has served us well in the past and we rely on it today. Whether it will hold up tomorrow is anyone's guess. As things stand now, as long as it keeps working, we will stick with it.

This is what really matters "what works for you". My post was not targeted at anyone in particular. If you have time to wait for the better loads, when you get to Portland, that's super but don't be fooled into thinking that just because it works for you it is the most profitable way to run your truck.

4. The more access's to freight you have the more potential you have. The more access's to freight you have the better chance you may have at getting home and/or getting to a better freight lane without having to haul cheap freight?

I would add that the more often you go home, even if you live in a good express center, the more you hurt your business. It takes time and miles to get home. Expediters do not make their money at home. They make it out on the road. If you use your full-featured truck or even backhaul freight to get you home, you are oriented to home. The money is out here, not back there.

OK dokie.. I guess this came from me saying that some drivers would take cheap freight to get them home. At this point it's really starting to sound like you have decided to shoot down my post, for what ever reason, as opposed to discuss reality. I never said drivers made money at home etc etc.. did I?

Having a truck that provides most of the comforts of home on the road, and living a property-free life in which getting home every so often is not necessary makes it easier to stay out longer and minimize our expenses.

How? Not having a mortgage. Maybe your thought is that since you live in your RV/Truck you don't have as much overhead but honestly if you took a look at it I wouldn't be surprised if your situation doesn't increase your expenses, as opposed to someone who doesn't live in their truck full time. Just an opinion.. Now it would be different if you had said living in your truck gives you more opportunities to make money, but you didn't say that.

This has obviously given me another question to discuss with recruiters although.. I still haven't gone down and spent the night in my car at the Walmart.

Another thing you might try is to not use your bathroom at home for a week. Limit yourself to public bathrooms, which may mean driving to one when you need to.

LOL..thanks, I'll get right on that, just as soon as you run down to Yuma AZ. in august and sit for 12 days calling your dispatcher using quarters and a pay phone. You new guys really think you have it rough with QC and cell phones and air ride, 200 inch bunks. :rolleyes:

Mr. Ateam the fact that you live in your truck may make the rules different for ya'll. layovers may be welcomed and if so it would make perfectly good since, for you, to wait around and see some sights in Portland waiting for a load. For the average guy that may be out for 2-3 weeks away from home and family, every mile and minute counts as does every minute at home.

Blessing,
dave

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I would say very few would want to sacrifice and sell everything they have to do it the way Phil has.
But he does show it can be done that way. But I do think for the vast majority, it isn't a path they likely will follow.
I am not a subscriber to a business plan per see for the sake of one truck. My personal opinion is that too many things change making it lack any value.
has their benchmark.
QUOTE]

but Dave don't you think that to many expediters worry to much about the ,at home overhead, and that if causes them to make bad decisions on the road? and in fact i think Ateam sticks way more into their retirement than most of those out there so that where there money goes, granted they don't have to fund that mortgage and could lower the 401 or what ever plane they use. so the basic model they use is close to what you should be doing no matter if you have a home to worry about or not?and that last question is for broker as well!

I'm just wondering if because one discounts their system because of their ace in the hole might be a little to emotional in there business decisions, just a thought

broker

Seasoned Expediter
mjolnir131,
Not sure what you are you saying?
Read my reply again please.
I congratulated them for where they are in life and can make such a good living in times like this.

However, I will take more stock in how someone is making it that lives like most of us do.

I would love to be in the position of having such an ACE IN THE HOLE.
No property and no debts.
We all could be making money and running like they are right now.
Better yet, NONE of us would be taking that cheap frieght.

Truth is, we are mostly typical Americans.

I'm pretty sure they said if they stop making a profit, they will get out of Expediting.
My question is, then where will they go, they have no property.

BIG JOHN

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
the point I'm trying to make is whether they have there ace in the hole or not is unrelated to how they do stuff irregardless of where there money is going it's still going someplace. the only advantage they have really is they don't have to force there minds think less emotionally there is no house to have an emotional attachment to. i think reading allot of the people who are leaving the field have and continue to make to many emotional decision it's hard not to we are emotional beings.

the money you spend on the homestead they are saving and reinvesting,thats the only difference period. how you do it is unaffected by this

the old axiom is you can work hard or smart,today to be a successful expediter you have to work hard and smart

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When I started in this industry the amount of carrier owned trucks -vs- that of the Owner Opps in their fleet was around approx. 70% trucks owned by the carrier to 30% owner operators. I don't think I need to explain why this has become the norm do I?

Not to be disrepsectful, but yes. If you want me to understand the point (which I do not now get) you need to explain.

Yeah.. I think your gonna have to help me with this one. I just don't see the "overhead" for the carrier being that much. (No insurance cost, No maintenance cost, No fuel cost per say) the cost QC and some signs?

I am not as dialed into our carrier's back-office operations as some others are. Maybe they can jump in to add more items to the list. Things that come to mind regarding our carrier's overhead include:

- A fully-staffed safety department that processes volumes and volumes of paperwork related to adding, servicing and removing trucks (permits, orientation, communications, postage, office equipment for the staff, space for the staff, employee benefits for the staff, training for the staff, etc.

- The same employee costs for every department the carrier has; everything from building maintenance to the CEO's travel budget.

- The cost of putting a custom-outfitted van on the road and to put a man in it to support drivers on the road

- Postage costs to send us log books.

- The cost of staff and insurance to deal with freight damage claims.

- The cost of the sales staff ... you know, those people who contact shippers in an attempt to find new sources of freight to put on our trucks.

- Recruiting costs, as in everyone working in the department and the cost of exhibit space at truck shows (not cheap).

There is more I am sure. This is just off the top of my head. Our carrier runs a fleet of 1,000 or so trucks. Revenue from those trucks must support the carrier's building and everything that goes on in it if the carrier is to be profitable. (carrier business models differ). When I stand in the parking lot and look at the FedEx Custom Critical building, and walk through the building and see all that goes on there, I gather that the overhead is high.

The fact that "any" carrier is talking to me let alone every one I've contacted speaks directly to the problems with this statement.

In good times or bad, in times of driver abundance or driver shortages, carriers operate recruiting departments and talk to prospects on an ongoing basis. They do it to deal with turnover and maintain fleet sizes at desired levels.

Example 1: A profitable load in which we dead headed 1,000 miles from Chicago to pick up a load in New England and drive it to the West Coast,--- would have been better if we could have found a paying load to New England?

In that load's case, no. This may go to how an experienced over-the-road trucker sees things differently than successful expediters do, and help explain why so many seasoned veterans of the road quickly wash out of expediting after they start.

No. It would not be better to take a load to New England. In expediting, the wise choice was to calculate the pay on an all miles basis (deadhead + loaded), compare that result to our price to run, and take the load because all miles were profitable. It does not matter if there is freight on the truck or not. What matters is how much money you make by moving the truck, or in some cases (disaster relief work), not moving the truck at all.

Not trying to sound stupid here but the only thing that I see is extended dead head. Granted with your rig these loads that you dead headed too may have been specialized and paid great but frankly I was taught years back that an empty truck is a worthless truck.

Again, you illustrate why so many seasoned veterans wash out of expediting when people with no truck driving experience can come in and succeed in a big way. The beliefs that work in one style of trucking may not work in expediting; and it does not matter how long ago the belief was formed, whose Daddy taught it to you, or how many cross-country runs you have made. If the belief is wrong, it is wrong.

Expediting is unique. The rules are different. The freight is different. The customer needs are different. The ways to make money is different. Seasoned veterans that enter expediting with an open mind come to understand that and do well. Those who do not wash out.

Well sure you would I don't see any reason why you wouldn't and as I said earlier I don't think it's the destination that makes drivers turn down freight.

Your expediting inexperience is showing through. Expediters give HUGE consideration to where a load delivers before deciding to run the load or not. And for good reason.

This is what really matters "what works for you". My post was not targeted at anyone in particular. If you have time to wait for the better loads, when you get to Portland, that's super but don't be fooled into thinking that just because it works for you it is the most profitable way to run your truck.

If profits from truck driving were the ONLY concern, Diane and I would develop ourselves into a big-rig team that grosses over $300,000 a year, in expediting if possible but other styles of trucking too ... wherever we have to go to make the money. Profits are an important concern, but not our only concern. So we do what we do, the way we do it, for reasons that make sense to us.

You new guys really think you have it rough with QC and cell phones and air ride, 200 inch bunks. :rolleyes:

Not at all. I think I have it really easy compared to how truckers lived and worked back in the day. Without things like cell phones, air-conditioned cabs, luxury sleepers, and power steering, Diane and I never would have entered the business. When it comes to being tough on the road, I'm a p_u_s_s_y.

Mr. Ateam the fact that you live in your truck may make the rules different for ya'll. layovers may be welcomed and if so it would make perfectly good since, for you, to wait around and see some sights in Portland waiting for a load. For the average guy that may be out for 2-3 weeks away from home and family, every mile and minute counts as does every minute at home.

It is more than just living in the truck. It is living on the road. Expediting provides a lifestyle opportunity to us that we simply love. We have found in any field of endeavor, the more you give yourself over to it, the more it gives to you. It is true in expediting too.

You talk about the difference between being home and being out on the road. To us, there is no difference. Because we live on the road, we are home wherever we happen to find ourselves that day. Yes, we maintain a modest residence (rented space in a relative's home), and yes, we have a place to go to celebrate the holidays with family. We often refer to that physical location on the ground as "home." But if we are there too long, we get the itch to get back out, where we feel more at home than anywhere else.

People sometimes talk about the sacrifices we made to become the expediters we are (selling the house, cars, goods, seldom going home, etc.) We don't feel like we have sacrificed a thing. We got rid of our house because we no longer wanted it. Getting rid of the house was not a sacrifice, it was a relief that freed us up to do the kind of expediting we want to do and build the wealth we want to build.

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Limiting the number of times a load is brokered would go a long way toward improving the rates the driver is seeing.

Ain't THAT the truth!!!
And.. as far as who is taking the hit as far as reduced freight charges, and whether the carrier is also taking a hit..
It depends..
If a broker puts out a call for a bid, on a load he got from a shipper, and the carriers all have a feeding frenzy, and compete to be the lowest, accepted bid.. who wins?
Not the driver.. not the carrier.. not even necessarily the shipper.. ahhh yesss, the broker! And it might not even necessarily be because he's greedy, but rather, taking advantage of the bidding wars amongst the carriers.. he might just end up lucking out!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm pretty sure they said if they stop making a profit, they will get out of Expediting.
My question is, then where will they go, they have no property.

Actually, we do. Some of our expediting profits have been used to buy vacant land. Our plan is to sell most of it when our health fails us to the point we can no longer live and work on the road. The proceeds will be used to pay cash to build a house on one of the plots we own. If that were to happen right now, the house would be modest (think RV park ;)). In time, as we continue to save and invest, our retirement dream home will become better appointed.

Thinking ahead, like we tend to do, the house will be built with our failing health and death in mind. Barrier-free archetecture is something we are learning about now.

Today we are enjoying an abundant life on the road. If all goes well, death will come to us in the house we build. I hope to get a few rounds of golf in between the day the house is done and death comes knocking. And maybe some kids in the small-town school will let me tutor them in their math and reading.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam,
I'm pretty sure you stated you had no property and were debt free.
Is this land not property and do you you not pay tax's on it?

Not sure what I can say to make this anymore understanding.

ATeam came into this in a way most of us couldn't.
So, yes, they do not have ordinary commitments and bills like most of us.
How they look at their spread sheets are not like the majority do.
They can sit and wait for the right priced load, most of us do not have that option.
Again, we are comparing apples to oranges here.

How many can or even want to live everyday in a small one room box?
ATeam is the exception, not the rule for a typical couple in Expediting.

ATeam, one more time, cause I want you to know I'm sincere about this.
Good for you both and wish nothing but the best.
BIG JOHN

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
the point I'm trying to make is whether they have there ace in the hole or not is unrelated to how they do stuff irregardless of where there money is going it's still going someplace.

I'm completely with you mjolnir131 (and people are puzzled by MY nick???) !
What difference should your household obligations make, when you are running a business?
Either you are earning an 'income', or you are not. What you do with your 'income', is a moot point (sorry mon).
The only reason household obligations come into play here, is if you aren't generating enough 'income' to actually pay for them.
In that light, of course it's going to be a lot less stressful, and a lot easier to keep the business going, if you don't really need an 'income' to survive in life.
But just because someone may not need an income to survive, doesn't mean their business is successful, which by most standards, would mean earning a sustainable 'income'.
And please note, I'm not in any way referring to ATeam in the above. I'm referring to many many expediters whose outside financial obligations are minimal to none. Many of these expediters are ok with not really generating an 'income' from their expediting ventures, for whatever reason (ie the spouse brings home the main bacon in the household, a pension is collected each month regardless of whether income is earned, it's a loved lifestyle vs a 'job' replacement, something to keep out of the wife's hair during the retirement years, etc)
Obviously, if times are going to be really tough, and slow, and cheap freight is going to be the norm for a period of time, the people with the least need for income to support their personal/household obligations are going to be the people who can last the longest. And after that, if times get even worse, and the business can't even support itself, let alone a household, the people who have the savings are going to last even longer.
That said though, many won't care to be in a business without net earnings for long, or one that's sucking their bank account dry, and would perhaps rather get a *real* job, rather than wait it out for an unknown period of time for things to turn around.
Everyone's got their reasons and obligations and methods.. and just because one's situation outside of the business is different from another's, doesn't mean their expediting advice should be heard with any less weight.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Whatever you guys may be thinking, it does not cost much the carriers to replace me. Every time they send me a letter requireing me to comply with another one of their rules, they keep reminding me that they can end my contract for any and no reason. The last one I got was a letter that I need to show up so they can visually inspect my van because of the age. Not to mention that I have a 2004 vehicle that I bought new in 2005. So, basically a 4 years old vehicle is aging, they need to inspect it......They also require twice a year DOT inspections on vans.....I wonder how this inspection will work, cause I did not call to talk to them yet. Do they expect me to drive all the way to Green, OH for them to look at my vehicle? I am really thinking of getting out, cause it gets ridiculous with the requirements...

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a funny post.
Some complain about low paying freight.
Some complain about others coping and being well prepared to handle these tough times.
Some complain about rules and regulations they are wondering if they have to follow.
I am splitting a gut at ya all.

Poor baby has bills to pay, poor baby didnt save nuttin, poor baby wont lower his high standards. ...... no guessing why you are poor.

This aint the Roberts days, times they are a changing, again.

Adapt or perish. Just do it quietly....PUHLLEEEEEZ.

Oh, someone please clarify how the load opportunity used by Fedex is so different
than the shipper using a load board to post the job for bid?

The internet has opened up many opportunities for both O/O, carrier and shipper.
And all the numbers are are being used to each others advantage whenever possible.

If you dont like change, get a red smock and go flip burgers. This isnt the first time
expediting has been rocked and reformulated. Wont be the last. That is the one constant
in business is that it constantly evolves.

Extinction is a scary thought. Quit spending so much time dwelling on it and others who you are envious of, and spend your time and energy RUNNING YOUR BUSINESS.

You might get out of debt.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One of the best things about EO is observing how people enter, operate, and eventually leave the business. Some are very different, and some are quite the same. But at some point, everyone will leave for a variety of differences. Some are good, and some are just plain tragic. It is amazing what I see after so many years of doing this. Some of the same issues almost twenty years ago, are the same ones today. Same game, but a lot of the faces change.

With regards to the carriers making money off the drivers.
Yes they do. They may tell you different, but that isn't the reality.
They make money through insurance programs, QC charges, administrative costs, signs, orientation costs, and the take advantages of crediting thier costs to the contractor to offset their own tax liability. Escrows, fines and other items fall into that category. They do have a building to pay for, but there is a profit in recruiting. If not, then carriers would have a retention program. They don't. So until you see that, you have your answer.

"Whats the difference between a self obtained load verses how the Fed dispatches".
Easy question. I know if booking from the shipper what the load really pays. If from a broker, I ask the customer. One has transparency and the other doesn't.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
KEEERFUL THERE BLUZ, ya keep typ'in to em like that, they'll be after ya. Tis been for a few years now that many will need to place household and toy expenses into the mix for the cost of running a truck. An it still don't work too well. Ya gotta be a Madoff for that kinda math to work. Even if for a little while.

Been suggested a long time ago adapt or go away.
Course they could trade that house for some unimproved land and cut the tax bill.
but they wont, so we'll be destined to listen to them go away kick'in an scream'in.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
KEEERFUL THERE BLUZ, ya keep typ'in to em like that, they'll be after ya. Tis been for a few years now that many will need to place household and toy expenses into the mix for the cost of running a truck. An it still don't work too well. Ya gotta be a Madoff for that kinda math to work. Even if for a little while
========================================
Now that is funny. Like the Madoff math:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
ATeam,
I'm pretty sure you stated you had no property and were debt free.
Is this land not property and do you you not pay tax's on it?

I use "property-free" in a casual sense to mean that we own and are tied to few goods. Until you mentioned it, I never made the connection between the land we own and "property."

In my mind, the land is an investment just as stocks, bonds, gold, or whatever are investments. I do not consider our investments to be "property," I refer to them as assets. Though, in the strict sense of the word they would be property.

I have never said we have no property. We own a few household goods and some camping equipment, the truck and truck equipment. Debt free we are. And yes, we pay taxes on the land.

Not sure what I can say to make this anymore understanding.

They can sit and wait for the right priced load, most of us do not have that option.

How many can or even want to live everyday in a small one room box?
ATeam is the exception, not the rule for a typical couple in Expediting.

ATeam, one more time, cause I want you to know I'm sincere about this.
Good for you both and wish nothing but the best.
BIG JOHN

I get it, Big John. Thank you.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

To a point, you are correct but our way of entry into the expeditie business was very common and it remains commonly available. Then owning a house, cars and a house full of stuff, we made arrangements to have the house cared for while we were gone and moved into a fleet owner's truck to begin our expedite career.

It was over a year later that we decided to get rid of the house and goods, which is something anyone else can do too, if that is what they want. What we did was unusual, but it is not hard to do unless your are emotionally attached to your stuff and the way you live your life right now. If you are of a mind to change, the changes are easy to make.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texpress (Dave old)
When I started in this industry the amount of carrier owned trucks -vs- that of the Owner Opps in their fleet was around approx. 70% trucks owned by the carrier to 30% owner operators. I don't think I need to explain why this has become the norm do I?

ATEAM: Not to be disrepsectful, but yes. If you want me to understand the point (which I do not now get) you need to explain.

No disrespect felt. The reason they don't operate a fleet is simply because they found out they make more money by letting the O/O pay the actual cost of delivering freight by passing the freight and shipping costs onto the O/O. Believe me if it wasn't more profitable they wouldn't do it that way they would have company trucks out the wazoo .

Dave: "Yeah.. I think your gonna have to help me with this one. I just don't see the "overhead" for the carrier being that much. (No insurance cost, No maintenance cost, No fuel cost per say) the cost QC and some signs?"

I am not as dialed into our carrier's back-office operations as some others are. Maybe they can jump in to add more items to the list. Things that come to mind regarding our carrier's overhead include:

LOL.. yeah I'm not going to repost the total estimated operating cost of a carrier. My point was adding trucks to that operating cost does not cost them very much money a point that I stand by. If anything your point about the carriers operating cost makes me think that with all that invested why would they not want more trucks flying their colours?

Quote:
The fact that "any" carrier is talking to me let alone every one I've contacted speaks directly to the problems with this statement.

In good times or bad, in times of driver abundance or driver shortages, carriers operate recruiting departments and talk to prospects on an ongoing basis. They do it to deal with turnover and maintain fleet sizes at desired levels.

Given the attrition rate of drivers (Tickets, crashes, etc..) You can't blame them but have you ever asked them how many is too many? I wonder if they would give you the truth?

Quote:
Example 1: A profitable load in which we dead headed 1,000 miles from Chicago to pick up a load in New England and drive it to the West Coast,--- would have been better if we could have found a paying load to New England?

In that load's case, no. This may go to how an experienced over-the-road trucker sees things differently than successful expediters do, and help explain why so many seasoned veterans of the road quickly wash out of expediting after they start.

I appreciate the compliment but I'm not an experienced (Recent)OTR driver. LoL..I thought you might have picked up on the pay phone in Yuma thing. I did some line haul and then had a local contract.

No. It would not be better to take a load to New England. In expediting, the wise choice was to calculate the pay on an all miles basis (deadhead + loaded), compare that result to our price to run, and take the load because all miles were profitable. It does not matter if there is freight on the truck or not. What matters is how much money you make by moving the truck, or in some cases (disaster relief work), not moving the truck at all.

Ok I'm really confused here.. are you saying you hit your number with the load including the DH miles? OK that's great unless your saying that was the most profitable use for that truck for those miles. If it works for you then great.. there you have it but that has little relevence to the subject of having more options to freight for someone trying to get the most profit out of their rig.

Quote:

Again, you illustrate why so many seasoned veterans wash out of expediting when people with no truck driving experience can come in and succeed in a big way. The beliefs that work in one style of trucking may not work in expediting; and it does not matter how long ago the belief was formed, whose Daddy taught it to you, or how many cross-country runs you have made. If the belief is wrong, it is wrong.

LOL.. partner your putting a lot of stock in something one dispatcher said.. But for the record again I haven't been OTR in many years. Since I'm a rookie maybe I have a chance.. by you and some dispatchers standards. One thing I do knowis that before it's all said and done you sir have a lot to learn about where/who to believe.

I'll give you that my perception may be wrong in what I perceive as the main complaint, here, of the freight offers.

Expediting is unique. The rules are different. The freight is different. The customer needs are different. The ways to make money is different. Seasoned veterans that enter expediting with an open mind come to understand that and do well. Those who do not wash out.

Aw, I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure you'll be fine. Granted you've drank the carrier koolaide but when you you realize that the sugar ain't really sugar you'll either get mad and sell out are you'll stay the course.

One more thing, when I'm not driving OTR you know killing my chances of being a successful expediter I sell Farm & Ranch land here in TX. What I'm getting at is that right now might be the last chance to sell that truck and actually buy a little place in the country. I've got a smokin deal on a little 14 acre place with a creek, nice house and a barn that would be great for your RV..:D

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Whats the difference between a self obtained load verses how the Fed dispatches".
Easy question. I know if booking from the shipper what the load really pays. If from a broker, I ask the customer. One has transparency and the other doesn't.

davekc, I am not sure if this is an answer to my question, "Oh, someone please clarify how the load opportunity used by Fedex is so different than the shipper using a load board to post the job for bid?" or something I may have missed in this thread.

To clarify what I am asking about is this: now that a shipper can get a competitive quote
from a multitude of shippers just typing their load on a bid board, how does that vary all that much from Fedex doing the same.
In the past, you made contacts, kept up with them and a relationship was formed.
Now, contact may still be their, but a new relationship has evolved. Your services as a carrier can now be shopped by a stroke of a keyboard.
And in a similar manor, if your best good buddy shipper needed you to carry a load for
an el cheapo rate and you saw on the bid boards loads for your trucks at a very good rate
which would you go with?
Where do loyalties lie. With customers and relationships or your drivers?
All I am saying is with advent of clinks and internet and faster communication and information, some of what is being sqawked about is just another step in the evolution of
expediting.

I am keeping in mind you book your own loads so your need for "transparency" exists.
For a contracted driver like myself it may exists but I am left with no recourse so at this stage I really dont need to factor it in. We play two differnet ways.

Last edited: