M2 problems

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They made me that same offer to me around last Christmas for no reason at all, other than being a "valued customer." It's not doing you any favor. They shoud drop the two payments altogether.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Ok ive been thinkin like the backyard mech that i used to be,rackin the ol noggin and this is what ive come up with; bein a diesel once shes runnin shes runnnin cause the cumbustion in the cylinder is caused by "compression" with a glow plug,so im thinkin that its the fuel delivery system, possible solenoid valve ( wanting to shut down the supply due to a computer ?,hate those things, elec thing?)...can it be bypassed ?...with a "hotwire "to the supply valve? ,not reccommending this of course cause ya got a warranty, which youd void , but i would do it , cause im nuts , now if the "sound" burp is "consistant" then it could be single glowplug goin cold or faulty injector... for what its worth....jeeeeesh ( welp cause ive got the webtv thing and this thread has gone to so many posts i cant see any replies anymore, all i can do now is wish you the best , and im going to do my best, to create a miraculous recovery for your truck I.E. pray...many blessings my friend! (baCK TO PACNG THE FLOOR )

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Glow plugs, on diesels that have them, are only used as a starting aid to preheat the air in the area around the cumbustion chamber when the engine is cold. Once the engine starts, the mixture of air and fuel is ignited by the heat of compression alone, the glow plugs are shut off doing nothing. Really only the smaller diesels today such as the Ford Powerstroke have a glow plug start aid system. Larger diesels might have an intake manifold heater, many computerized diesels have no heater at all- the injectors are set into an "enriched start" mode when the engine is started cold.
I 'm sure what these MBE900 engines are experiencing is a glitch in the computer modules, or possibly faulty sensors on the engines themselves that some of the modules pick up and others don't.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Ah Ha ...once again i show my semi ignorance,getting to be a habit of late ;)...never was a diesel mech, just thought id try my hand at backyarddiagnosis ( man now theres a word! )...so then its narrowed down to the fuel delivery system , at idle , if i read it right....

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
If i were one of the ones that recieved the letter that redytrk recieved i would be heading to the lawyers with it. this would show that frtliner knowes of the problem and still does nothing about it. just a thought.x( x( x(

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ran into a Conway guy the other day in Birmingham,he has a new M2 with the same engine problem. He called it "loping",Freightliner told him that this was normal??. One of the mechanics said he could try to increase the fuel pump pressure and that might help, but he was afraid to as it might invalidate his warranty.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The guy in Birmingham sure got some bad advise.It is possible they are now telling people to just live with it.I was told the engineers in Germany are working to solve the problem.At one point I was given the name of a Detroit Diesel big shot to contact.I talked to him once but lately he is not returning calls to the service manager in Ft.Wayne,In,where the 20 days of work was done on the problem.I have put 17,000 mi on the trk in this condition with out any problems except the poor idle.One wonders what the long term effect will be on the life of the engine.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had the displeasure to have to spend a day and a half at FYDA in Cincinnati last week when my steering gearbox mysteriously lost all its fluid. But in the time waiting for my repair I got to watch the activity around the shop, and took note of what went in and out. There were more trucks in that shop by far with problems with the Mercedes engines than anything else. Especially the big MBE4000- I noticed the mechanics were fiddling with something under the turbo on every one of those. There were quite a few Mercedes M2's in there also, not sure what for. I think everyone better just avoid these Mercedes powered trucks until they get the bugs out of them. They outnumbered all the other trucks in the shop 2 to 1, no kidding.
-Weave-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I personally would stay away from anything that has to do with a freightliner dealership!!!There is a few good ones, but are far outnumbered by the poor ones.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just returned from another meeting with the service manager at Freightliner Ft.Wayne.He cannot get any information from FL about their intentions for a fix.He has called Mr.Dave Metzer at Detroit Deisel at least 3 times,but the guy wont return calls.Aparently the guy is doing this with everyone around the country.Service mgr at Fl in Indianoplis,says he is getting the same run around.Any one have sugestions on where to go from here.I have E-Mailed FL twice on this matter.Both times I got an imeadiate phone call promising to look into my problem and "keep the file open"what ever that means.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
In a case like this the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I would get on their toll free number and plan to stay there all day - everyday till you get a response.

They will will most likely hang-up on you - but be persistent, don't get nasty, keep your cool or you won't get anywhere.

Ask each person for their name keep a record of each call and outcome. I would also consider contacting your state attorney general and see if they can offer any advice.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sounds to me like you need to apply the LEMON LAW!!! ASAP!!! Every day I here a radio commercial about this and who to contact about it. You may want to do a search on the net – keyword: Lemon law. Here it is, I just looked it up for ya!!! http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

I’m willing to lay 5 to 1 odds this will get you some results. Another good result getter is the Attorney General of the state that the truck was bought in. Again do a search and find the AG then fill in the form on his web site. Again this will get you results.

Tally up all your down time and the time you invested in this mess, because when you contact the lawyer to represent you on the lemon law he will add this into the total as part of the reimbursement.

As LM stated: In a case like this the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So start squeaking!!!!!!!!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the good advise.I will visit that web site as soon as I get off this run.I will be interested to see if the lemon laws will apply to a vehicle that nearly does all it is supposed to do.It just sounds funny while at idle.Fuel mileage is right up there at 11.2 per gal,and starts and runs at road speed just fine. My main concern is the long term effects are of running it this way.Looks like lots of time with lawyers from here on out.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One thing you could do,is to make a nuisance out of yourself at the Louisville Truck Show next month.Freightliner always has a huge exhibit and senior mangement suits are there.Try hanging around the M2 and when prospective buyers are looking at ,it describe your problems and how you are getting the run around,preferably do it when the sales guys can hear you. Might get some results.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
You cannot have the problem that you are descibing, because FL. and Detroit d said that this is the first time they have incountered the problem.(Hunting at idleing)Mine has been in the shop for 5 weeks out of 6 months. One thing they did to lessen the problem was to knock the idle back to 625rpm from 730rpm, it has helped but not completly removed the problem. My "hunting" comes and goes. But my power seems to suffer, it feels more like my 230 HP cummins than the 280 HP MB when it was new. Also my fuel economey is more in the 10 - 10.25 mpg range. I idle my entire 10 hour rest break, maybe you don't. I have thought about starting a thread about my new truck experience (hint hint Dan Tilly and alumibunk) So that others can make better, more informed decisions.

Jim

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your right Jim about the problem being worse at times than others.Like slowing down to idle at the toll booth(I thought the toll taker was going to jump out of her booth and run).Yes we idle for extended periods with the engine doing better after about a hour or so.When outside temp is above 50 degrees there is hardly a problem at all.
PS.I lived in your area for about 10 years.Best area I ever lived In.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am looking at some manuals I have for the DDC S50/60 Electronic Controls. I'm sure this is not the module used on the MBE900, but that you mention the idling improves in warmer temperatures you should have the techs look at the ambient air temperature sensor. This is the sensor that makes the engine idle faster when started cold.
Another thing they should look at is the cruise control switch and related wiring.
These are two things I see off hand that could cause erratic idling that are not in the module itself. Hey, worth a try, right?
-Weave-

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The ambient temp sensor was the first thing they suspected. It was replaced,along with every other sensor you can think of.It allways comes back to the main engine computer.It is a major design flaw.

ole driver

Expert Expediter
sorry to hear of your idleing problum as I am takeing delevery of a sterling with that engine, as a result i will be following your problum closely to resaulation.
this problum could place this line of engines out of complyance with the E.P.A. I am going to call a old firend at the Ann Arbor test lab I will get back soon::'( :-( :) ole driver

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks "Ole"We can use all the feedback aqnd contacts we can find.The latest chapter in our saga of the "Burping Beast"is as follows.As I have stated before,three different computers were tried to correct the problem.Well it seems,the latest was not programed to allow the clutch fan to come on.This was of course no problem during our travels in sub freezing temps,but boy when we hit El Paso and Dallas the first wk of March.BOOM,overheating because the fan would not come on.Two days in the shop to correct this.To further cause delays, FL dealer in Dallas (as everywhere else)cant directly download programs.They have to take the truck across town to the Detroit Diesel dealer.To their credit the guys at FL Dallas really busted their buns to get us back on the road ASAP,and we are most appreciative.They say they will soon be able to download data without going through DD.YEH RIGHT,I also heard that was supposed to happen the first of the year.Question is What Year.
Ole...if that MBE 900 was spec`ed with a automatic tranny,you will be Ok.If not maybe you will be among the 50% not experiencing this problem.GOOD LUCK... Don and Carol said that!