M2 problems

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Freightliners new M2 as chronicled in a recent EO review is a joke.
Our new 2004 w/MBE 900 260hp,has been in the shop for more than 20 days.Problem is that engine "burps"Whenever engine temp is between 125 and 170 degrees.this is of course most of the time while idleing.
the engineers at Mercedes Benz have had the dealer replace Heat sensors,and have tried three different computers.Nothing has worked.
At one point they said that when a fleet of trucks is sold.prox half will have this problem.they did not say if any of these trucks were ever corrected.
At the present time dealer has turned truck back to us.They have told us any further discussions mus be with Detroit Diesel (assembler of the engine)This process we will start later today.
In addition I would add that parts availibilty really sucks.No parts are ever in stock,and must be obtained thru Detroit Diesel.A wait of one to three days.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I talked to a friend of mine a few months ago who had that problem with his MBE900 in a Sterling Acterra. If I remember correctly, they diagnosed it to air getting into the fuel system somewhere, I believe at an injector. I will try to contact him if I can to get specifics. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the dealer turn the tides to the component manufacturers. Freightliner is notorious for this. Detroit Diesel, the marketer of the MBE900, is Daimler Chrysler Powersystems, under the same ownership as, you guessed it, Freightliner. If the engine is under warranty, that dealership is responsible for correcting the problem to your satisfaction. If they need the help of an official Detroit Diesel shop, THEY, NOT YOU are responsible for setting things up to correct the problem. Do not let them give YOU the runaround because THEIR people don't know what they are doing. If the dealership continues to do so, tell the dealership manager you want the name and number of the Freightliner district manager, and take the problem there. Nothing disgusts me more than issues like this. Talk to the dealer manager and tell him if he can't fix the truck, you want your money back or a new truck, it's only fair. Say you bought a new TV set that "burped" while playing, and the place you bought it at couldn't fix it. You would get your money back or a new TV, right? Why should a truck be any different. Let me know how you make out...
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try calling the Freightliner hot line in Oregon,might help. 1-800-385-4357

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks guys. I am pursuing those angles,including E-Mails to Portland.
Customer svc called me back after an E-Mail and assured me they would fix the problem. That was about 10 days ago.I still habve the same
problem.Does anyone know if there is a lemmon law for trucks?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would think, though I am not positive, that the lemon laws would apply to any vehicle.
-Weave-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For what it is worth, we had simular problems with Freightliner of Houston. We had numerous a/c problems that they failed to correct. Alot of downtime for the same repair. Our team had taken it out and it quit again in Dothan Al. They found out that the parts were recalled parts. When we contacted Houston they said they knew that and had to get our truck out of their shop. Then we called district manager and he defended the dealer but said they would supply the right parts but I would have to pay the labor again. Kind of a joke since their repair lasted two weeks. He said take it or we could sue them, as he didn't care. Not too professional. That kind of madness makes it hard for the dealers that try to do a good job. I would not but another one because of these kinds of problems. Frieghtliner just refuses to stand behind what they build. We know only buy KW's. We have had good luck with them and great service with them. We have had dealt with KW of Indy, Jacksonville FL., OKC, and Laredo. No major service but they have bent over backwards for even the simplest things. Service goes along way.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.This is our first FL,and it sure has been a distaster so far.I had 2 Internationals before this.Hardly ever had to wait for parts,and every problem was satisfactorly resolved.I would have purchased a 4300 or 4400 except that BTP sleeper people told me they couldnt cut into the AC lines without the computer going beserk.The only solution they had found at that time was to install a seperate Ac compressor at a increase of about $1200.Looks like I should have gone that route,because the FL has cost us nearly $10,000 in down time and hotel bills.
Mark: Fuel delivery to the engine was rulled out.Engine runs perfectly when the tech bypasses the entire trk electrial system,and runs the truck from a computer on the bench.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think that the a/c issue on INT. were on the first year of the new model. I know Alumi-bunk does a conversion on them but I don't know how they change the a/c system. Dieseldiva & Doggiedaddy have one I think.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I hope these postings get to Freightliner and they realize that their M2's aren't going to have a breath of hope in the expedite industry if they start getting a bad reputation here. Little wake-up call for some quality vehicles and concern for proper customer service perhaps?
Is that too much to ask for from a product Daimler Chrysler?
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you have a bad injector,probably a extremely small hairline crack in it and when it heats up the crack expands enough to suck some air in,thus causing the burp.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The injectors were checked.It appears to definatly be a computer problem.Fl dealer in Indy just sold 5 trks spec like mine,3 of the trks are doing the same thing.I am told that Detroit Diesel has a truck in there corporate headquarters right now that is demonstrating the same problem.They have engineers in from Germany and are sure they will have a fix.They admitted there are hundreds of trks out there with this problem.Lord only knows how long it will be before my trk is fixed.I am back on the road with assurances that it wont quit on me.If you see me in the truck stop I will be the one with the funny sounding engine.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll bet they got a bunch of defective computers is all, with it working properly on the bench computer. But.. who knows how long it will take them to produce computers that work right, and your dealer to get his hands on one? Sounds like a six month affair at least, but I'll hope for the best for you.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Hope all gets workrd out sounds like a computer if when she was bench tested on a good one she was aok...if daimler knows theres " a hundred of em" with problems then why dont they just fix the danged things ?...jeez for the price youd expect to be treated like royalty by the dealers...Cmon daimler get a grip! ( sorry to hear this my friend,keep us posted please )

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The thing is they DO know there are a lot of reports of engines having this problem. The way their management works is to decide on what level to handle the problems. They have obviously decided to tackle the issue on the dealer/service bulletin level, as it does not regard safety. But, they are only at stage one, which is recognizing, diagnosing, and trying to figure out a solution to the problem, even though it is an obvious defect. And who has to suffer by waiting for all this to happen? The customer, of course. If some better field testing was done before the trucks hit the lots, this might not be the case. The saddest thing is I saw prototype M2's being tested over a year before they were produced.
-Weave-

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FL/Mercedes Benz still has not come up with a fix for this problem.Latest word is a large fleet of trucks was delivered in the Millwaukee area and about half of them are "burping" I wish to hell I had my International back.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Dang this is hard to comprehend...why dont they just back engineer the things?...ya know like finding a short in a system ? Just replace one friggen part at a time? I dont get it!... and

Chrysler was tryin to buy this co. back in the 60s when it was white freightliner ( but then the gov. nixed it becasue it might create a monopoly ) bet the problems would have been fixed within a week! No excuse! They should take one to the tech center and go at it piece by piece...boy how many times i did the same thing when i was runnin Woodward Ave. in the sixties ya know?...Had to git me all rilied up , good thing im off the " board " for 24 hrs!...NO EXCUSE! Sure feel for ya!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you able to run this truck at all.I am no fan of the 5PM lawyers but you may have the workings of a hefty law suit. You purchase a vehicle for you business to generate revenue not to sit for days.Lost income and road expenses to get to various dealers add up quick.Perhaps a class action suit with lots of publicity throughout the trucking community would get results. If nothing else FLiner should refund your whatever you paid up front,compensate you for your losses and take the truck back.If your name was Mr JB Hunt the problems would have been fixed a long time ago.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And in the meantime, instead of stopping production on these trucks, they just keep pumping them out with an obvious defect to give more customers potential grief. Unfortunately with class-action lawsuits, they take forever, and the lawyers get the bulk of the settlements with the customers getting mere pennies for thosands of dollars worth of losses. I would pursue the state lemon law with this perticular truck if possible if Freightliner doesn't have a reasonable solution fast.
-Weave-

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich,yes Iam able to run the truck in the present condition.They have assured me it will not quit and let me stranded by the side of the road.This assurance comes from the same people,who for weeks wouldn`t even admit they have this problem. Im still waiting for the word that the German engineers have come up with somethihg.Who knows how long it will then take to get the parts.Probably the"squeeky wheel gets the grease".In other words those large fleet owners are going to get theirs first.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Who says FREIGHTLINER dosen`t have a heart...I recieved a call from Diamler Chrysler credit offering to suspend 2 payments.WOW. Now here`s the catch. I am to send in $541.80 for Jan and $1093.60 for Feb.This is to cover interest and fees.I will still owe the two payments on the back end.They said they had to go with this plan due to so many trks with extended service problems.