Lucas Oil Treatment

Kazper1008

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone use this or would anyone recommend putting it in your truck? Just looking for any feed back Thanks!

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I use Lucas in every oil change, 400,000 miles on a 6.0 lt. chevy engine still running strong.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
guido...you have a Powerstroke right?? Anything that plays with oil viscosity or chemistry on a HUEI injector engine is a BAD idea. Those engines use engine oil under very high pressure to fire the injectors and they are designed with a certain oil charecteristic in mind.

To the poster with the 400k Chevy, cool you went that far, you likely would have done it without the Lucas too.

Lucas has a place, in a very high mileage or abused engine you are trying to sell or that has seal leaks, otherwise, it is not required by 99% of us.

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
I have used the oil treatment and the injector cleaner and both have worked well. The injector cleaner does help with increased mileage, but that may be due to the fuel running more rich. I also talked with a Landstar O/O who spoke highly of it. We both have straights, Cummins and CAT.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never been a believer in oil additives, but if I were to change my mind Lucas would probably be the one. It seems to have a lot of believers. But, I'm clearly in the Piper camp. 400k is a good start on that engine and should never require an additive with proper service. My Powerstroke is still strong at 960k and has never had an additive.

guido4475

Not a Member
The very close freinds of mine, who I bought my FL-70 from, ran Lucas since new on the truck, and I used it also. It was a Cat 3126 with the heui system also,and it still is running, with over 860,000 never opened up.Who can disagee with that? But, out of curiosity, When I get home next, and change the oil, I am going to run 2 oil changes without Lucas and see if there is a difference in anything.You may be onto something, as I think about it.

Deville

Not a Member
I run Lucas, I am convinced that the Lucas helped save my CAT3126 when I threw a vavle & drove it for almost 200 miles. The Mechanics at Branford Freightliner were amazed.

Wether it works or not, I can't say for sure. It gives me piece of mind. I found that running Lucas with Rotella oil is the best Combonation for my CAT 3126.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
guido...you have a Powerstroke right?? Anything that plays with oil viscosity or chemistry on a HUEI injector engine is a BAD idea. Those engines use engine oil under very high pressure to fire the injectors and they are designed with a certain oil charecteristic in mind.

To the poster with the 400k Chevy, cool you went that far, you likely would have done it without the Lucas too.

Lucas has a place, in a very high mileage or abused engine you are trying to sell or that has seal leaks, otherwise, it is not required by 99% of us.

Powerstrokes have sensors that control the pressure to the injectors for when the oil is thicker.Its called a injector control pressure sensor and it reads oil pressure then tells how much pressure is needed at the injectors.So it doesnt hurt it.I have a F250 with a 140,000 all miles are hard driving pulling 5th wheels and campers.It has a performance exhaust and chip in it and will burn the tires off.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Powerstrokes have sensors that control the pressure to the injectors for when the oil is thicker.Its called a injector control pressure sensor and it reads oil pressure then tells how much pressure is needed at the injectors.So it doesnt hurt it.I have a F250 with a 140,000 all miles are hard driving pulling 5th wheels and campers.It has a performance exhaust and chip in it and will burn the tires off.

While that is true, thicker oil does not flow into and out of the injectors as easily and when you are dealing with injection events that last micro-seconds being performed by a device that has clearances in millionths of an inch..... I also wonder why Caterpillar, the people who make the injection system, often recommend a 10W30 diesel engine oil in areas where it can be cold and oil viscosity is thicker.

My advice is given based on the fact that we are expediters, we run our engines many more miles that the average pickup owner and things like 1/2 MPG or more importantly things like half a cent per mile, are all far more important to us than most or at least they should be.

If you run Lucas and it makes you feel good....enjoy!

vegasmax

Seasoned Expediter
I agree do not use the stuff in a powerstroke...and do not use the restore either. Have a friend that is a dealer and tried restore in one.......had to tear it down within two days after adding restore. Lucas might be OK but I would not take a chance on it. As for using it in other engines....I would ask several owners of the exact engine first to be safe...Good Trucking!!

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you got a Detroit 60 Series its not recomended by detroit to use Lucas because of the size of the oiler tubes going to the Turbo. Unless the tubes have been upgraded to the bigger tube that is sold in the Over Haul kit and that comes with a Turbo upgrade. Note Upgrade is stressed.

If you have any questions on this contact Gary IN Freightliner. Whom Replaced the Turbo on a 2001 FLD with a Detroit 60 Series. The above dont use Lucas was Stated because of the size of the oiler tubes to the Turbo.

Interesting isnt it.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
The very close freinds of mine, who I bought my FL-70 from, ran Lucas since new on the truck, and I used it also. It was a Cat 3126 with the heui system also,and it still is running, with over 860,000 never opened up.Who can disagee with that? But, out of curiosity, When I get home next, and change the oil, I am going to run 2 oil changes without Lucas and see if there is a difference in anything.You may be onto something, as I think about it.

I have tried not using Lucas as you are planning on doing. My 3126 used oil without the Lucas treatment. Everybody here has a different opinion on this subject. For me, I do what works for me. For everyone that says nay, there is one that says yeah. So like most of the other topics discussed here, it is a mixture of opinions and experience. If my engine was doing OK without it, I'd not use it. But since it keeps my oil consumption under control, I use it. Plus it extends my period between oil changes. And that is another whole topic. Right?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In my F 250 Super Duty Diesel I have used synthetic since it turned 100,000 miles and the warranty was off. It now has just a hair over 300,000 and never had any type of additive in it. The E 350 Diesel has only used Shell Rotella, it only has around 260,000 on it. Have had at this point no problems with either one. I use a shot of Howes in both when ever I fill up.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Jump in here. Chevy Duramax, Lucas Oil treatment, Transmission treatment, Injector additive in fuel, 300,000 miles same engine, transmission and going strong.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jump in here. Chevy Duramax, Lucas Oil treatment, Transmission treatment, Injector additive in fuel, 300,000 miles same engine, transmission and going strong.

That's a good start, but you'd be there without Lucas.

'99 7.3 Powerstroke, 976,000 miles, no Lucas.