Lucas oil additives good or bad?

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I have a 2005 freightliner m2 106 with the mbe 900 engine 260 hp I always use one gallon of lucas oil additive along with rotella t5 oil every oil change. Someone told me the other day that using the lucas in my smaller engine made it work harder and would result in a engine rebuild sooner. Does anyone if this is true? Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Engine oils have all of the ingredients necessary to minimize wear, lubricate and cool parts, keep junk in suspension (so it will drain and not form sludge), to combat effects of combustion byproducts, and both flow at cold temps and still have fortitude at high temps. These formulations then go through a ridiculously harsh series of tests. Passing blends win industry approval.

Adding a huge slug of petroleum polymers to this carefully crafted blend is rarely beneficial. If an engine is already sucking down oil, then it'll give it something to chew on, but it's not going to cure or prevent anything.

Last edited:

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Engine oils have all of the ingredients necessary to minimize wear, lubricate and cool parts, keep junk in suspension (so it will drain and not form sludge), to combat effects of combustion byproducts, and both flow at cold temps and still have fortitude at high temps. These formulations then go through a ridiculously harsh series of tests. Passing blends win industry approval.

Adding a huge slug of petroleum polymers to this carefully crafted blend is rarely beneficial. If an engine is already sucking down oil, then it'll give it something to chew on, but it's not going to cure or prevent anything.

Thanks for the response.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
So is it even worth using the additive? One thing I did notice using the additive is it increases the oil pressure.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So is it even worth using the additive? One thing I did notice using the additive is it increases the oil pressure.

If the oil pressure was already within the range considered acceptable to the engine's maker, then I would not be concerned about raising it. If it wasn't, then I would do some exploratory surgery to find out why.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2005 freightliner m2 106 with the mbe 900 engine 260 hp I always use one gallon of lucas oil additive along with rotella t5 oil every oil change. Someone told me the other day that using the lucas in my smaller engine made it work harder and would result in a engine rebuild sooner. Does anyone if this is true? Thanks for the info.

It wouldn't cause an engine rebuild to happen sooner. It will help extend engine oil life but you should be changing your oil on time anyway. I used to be a believer but after some research I wouldn't waste my money on it. If you stop using it you might find that you temporarily start burning more oil until the rings reseat themselves but that won't take long.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
It wouldn't cause an engine rebuild to happen sooner. It will help extend engine oil life but you should be changing your oil on time anyway. I used to be a believer but after some research I wouldn't waste my money on it. If you stop using it you might find that you temporarily start burning more oil until the rings reseat themselves but that won't take long.

Extend oil life? Please tell us how that works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Extend oil life? Please tell us how that works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

You are adding pure petroleum which raises the base number.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Lucas is crap, it actually makes your oil less lubriss.

There have been tons of studies done and they all agree, if you use a decent oil to begin with no additives are neccesary and using them is actually harmfull.

I run amsoil 15-40 in my truck using a by-pass filter. With over 900k I'm burning less than a gallon of oil in 15k miles.

According to amsoil, the best oils for wear protection are a milspec # I can't remebr but you can only get it in 50 gallon drums. Then amsoil, then regular delvac, then royal purple, the stuf you're running is at the bottom of the list according to their study.

You'd probly be better off to swith to delvac.

I do extended drains prior to about 60k miles ago the Amsoil I was running had over 500k miles on it. I had to dump it because it got contaminated.

Lucas Oil stabiliser, just raises viscosity. Which if your engine is 'inspec' isn't neccesry anyway. With modern enginering standsrds and tighter bearing tolerances you want lighter oil not heavy oil. Hence the multiviscosity numbers. 15-40, means its actually 15 viscousity, but it protects like the old 40 wieght.

Its a confusing mess. But if you want to extend your engine life drop the additives and switch oils to either delvac or Amsoil. And then add either a Gulf Coast filter, TA installs them now in many plces, or get the AmsOil bypass filter. The "Gulf Coast" system is probly the best for running extended drains because everytime you change the bypass filter you'll have to add 1 gallon of oil. Which helps freshen you additive package. Also 'GUlf COast' has an oil monitoring program so if you send in your samples they'll call you and let you know if your having an issue.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
The most damaging thing in your oil is Carbon, it builds up and sands your engine. If you can revmove the carbon from the oil. The oil will last indefinately or untill the cimbustion acids eat out the additive package.

Bypass filters remove the carbon which is what i think your loking for. Even if lucas wasnt crap, you would still need to eliminate the carbon build up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Be careful adding amsoil to an old engine. It is a high detergent oil and will break dwon all the crudy sludge caked in the engine. If you have more than a couple 100k on the engine they recomend a engine flush before switching over.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow... 12 hours on this thread and no kool-aid drinkers singing the praises of Lucas. They'll have no substance to support their praise like the well informed folks that have posted here so far. They'll just talk about someone that put a bunch of miles on an engine and swear it's because of Lucas, even though there's a ton of folks out there that put just as many miles on an engine without it. Just take good care of the truck.

I have the MBE 900 and I wouldn't waste a cent on Lucas.

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
Only at Lucas Oil if you have fuel in your oil till you get the problem fixed with your injector

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First off I drive a sprinter type vehicle ....so I don't use Lucas or amzoil or that type of product .....But why are some of you just waiting for someone posting on here that they use or like Lucas ...just so you can verbally beat up on them......I thought this was Truck Talk not the Soap Box ( opera ).....if they use something or drive something different than you ....thats their choice ( money ) not yours ....JMO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I like using lucas it may or may not help but i like it. My question was just concerning whether or not it could damage my engine. And i believe from the information im getting that it won't do any damage. As far as using lucas i know a lot of people don't like it but i do. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First off I drive a sprinter type vehicle ....so I don't use Lucas or amzoil or that type of product .....But why are some of you just waiting for someone posting on here that they use or like Lucas ...just so you can verbally beat up on them......I thought this was Truck Talk not the Soap Box ( opera ).....if they use something or drive something different than you ....thats their choice ( money ) not yours ....JMO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Correct, this isn't the Soapbox, it's Truck Talk and we're discussing truck issues. My desire isn't to beat up on anyone, just discuss this issue. Oil additives have been discussed before and I've yet to see a compelling argument for using them. The argument that "it doesn't hurt" doesn't seem like a reason to use something, to me. Years ago there were people that thought Slick 50 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was, in fact, shown to be damaging.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
AmsOil is NOT an additive, it is a fully synthetic oil, its been around for a longtime.

Even they admit that Delvac is pretty good stuff its about the best 'off' the shelf brand you can get. But if you don't filter out the carbon no matter what oil you use you'll have to change it a lot.

The advantage of a fully synthetic oil is purity, it only has what they put in it. Petroleum oils are less precise because what come from the refiner has variations.

Honestly though I think its splitting hairs. I use Amsoil and continue to use it, because the first time I had my head off the Cam showed NO wear at all at 380k, the next time I had the head off around 900k, the cam still looked new. As well as the head in general was clean not all caked with gunk like is common on high milage engines with less expensive oil

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I like using lucas it may or may not help but i like it. My question was just concerning whether or not it could damage my engine. And i believe from the information im getting that it won't do any damage. As far as using lucas i know a lot of people don't like it but i do. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

My brother uses Lucas and changes his oil every 12k miles which I would never do but it works for him. He has recently become interested in the by-pass filters though and will likely change his maintenance routine.

Deville

Not a Member
I'm in the middle with the Lucas. I used to use it on a regular basis, then, about 3-4 years ago I just stopped using it. The only difference i noticed was the oil did not change black as fast any longer. So I discontinued use of it at oil changes. I will add it to the motor if I have to top off my level. Since I really don't burn a lot of oil in between changes I still don't use it.