low oil pressure

tobyt

New Recruit
Have 600 horsepower cummins 380000 miles just had oil change start the day with 40 oil pressure but during the day oil pressure kept getting a little lower finally started pulling a load up the mountain oil pressure was down to 20 and loosing power finally got to the top and the high exhaust temperature system light came on but went off a few seconds later engine temperature was around 215 engine warning light was also on what's going on

tobyt

New Recruit
There is nothing on the instrument panel that shows that as far as I know someone said dpfsystem filter needs cleaning

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Have 600 horsepower cummins 380000 miles just had oil change start the day with 40 oil pressure but during the day oil pressure kept getting a little lower finally started pulling a load up the mountain oil pressure was down to 20 and loosing power finally got to the top and the high exhaust temperature system light came on but went off a few seconds later engine temperature was around 215 engine warning light was also on what's going on

What's your normal oil pressure during these conditions?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Also, what's the oil temperature when this occurs? If it's high, there may be a flow problem through the oil cooler, assuming that it has an oil thermostat.

Edit: It appears that the pressures you are seeing are normal.
If you felt a loss of power, it was probably unrelated.
You'd have to have the computer scanned for codes. The check engine light could have come on for nearly any reason.

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine has an 08 or 09 kw with the cummins engine, dpf but no def. This is his first cummins engine, after owning several cats and detroits. He was telling me the other day how low his oil pressure was. I don't remember the numbers he told me, but it was similar with what you are saying. So it might not me a problem, just how this engine is.

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
40 I think just got the truck it was our first load with it
I know its a few years older than yours but we just did an in frame on an 03 isx and it came in with less than 15 psi when hot just started after the rebuild and it was rrunning right at 40 at idle but it wasnt really warm yet honestly most of these engines ive seen run the 20 to 40 range....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cummins makes an engine twice as good as a Cat and only needs half the oil pressure to do the job.

tobyt

New Recruit
I've heard oil pressure in cummins isx is between 20-40 but what I'm saying is when the warning light and high engine exhaust temperature light comes on and a 600 horsepower cummins can't get over a small mountain going no more than 15 miles per hour something is wrong with that cummins had no problems with a cat pulling same mountain

tknight

Veteran Expediter
low compression, plugged fuel sysyem, whats coolant temp look like? bad oil pump, oil not flowing into cooler, or plugged oil lines or even cooler itself, might need overhaul? oil pressure varies with rpm, climbing hill in wrong gear will heat the oil and lose pressure, many factors involved, good luck...............

Last edited:

tobyt

New Recruit
No but the dealership said since the high exhaust temperature system light came on the dpfsystem might need cleaning they'll be checking that Monday

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I figure I got about 5 years left, before I'm ready to have that 10,000 sq ft garage sale of sound lights, staging and video gear that has been building up over the years, it takes longer to set up shows now, I'm not as young as I used to be!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Have you been using coolant? The reason I'm asking is Cummins came up with the EGR system and if it leaks it will put coolant in the oil system. That will plug up your oil filter causing a drop in the oil pressure. If you're driving a straight truck and don't have stacks you can check your exhaust to see if water is coming out. If the truck has a regin system and your EGR is leaking it can also clogged that system when will cause the exhaust to run hot.