Lottery winner found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is the same woman who made headlines due to her collecting welfare after winning a million dollars.

Lincoln Park lottery winner found dead at house in Ecorse | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

September 29, 2012 at 1:00 am
Lincoln Park lottery winner found dead at house in Ecorse

bilde

Amanda Clayton holding her $1 million lottery check in March. (Michigan Lottery)

A Lincoln Park woman who won $1 million in the Michigan Lottery and was later convicted for still collecting state welfare died Saturday from an apparent drug overdose.

Ecorse Police confirmed Saturday afternoon that Amanda Clayton, of Lincoln Park, was found dead at a residence on Sunnyside Street at 9 a.m.

Shortly after winning the lottery in March, Clayton's story garnered national media attention when she revealed she was still collecting $5,500 from the state in food aid and medical benefits.

Clayton, 25, pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was placed on six months' probation in July.

In August, four people were charged with felonious assault outside of Clayton's residence. The dispute, which involved a baseball bat, knife and toy gun, started as a disagreement over grass clippings between Clayton and her neighbor's lawns.

Clayton isn't the only Michigan Lottery winner to become notorious after making headlines.

In August, millionaire Freddie Young, of Detroit, was sentenced to 20 to 35 years in prison for fatally shooting his daughter's landlord.

Young, 64, was convicted on second-degree murder and felony firearm charges in the May 2011 killing of Australian native Gregory McNicol.

Prosecutors said Young won an estimated $1.57 million share of a Michigan Lottery jackpot in February 2011. Three months later, he shot 45-year-old McNicol over $1,000 in back rent owed by his daughter.

From The Detroit News: Lincoln Park lottery winner found dead at house in Ecorse | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Drug overdose. Too bad. Not so sad. Plenty stupid though.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is sad when someone has a drug problem even more so when it kills them.

Sent from my Fisher Price X900 via EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It goes to prove that no matter how much money you cant fix stupid people.

Bob Wolf

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it's sad but it's less sad than many things because it is a personal choice. So too bad but not so sad.

are12

Expert Expediter
Yes, it's sad but it's less sad than many things because it is a personal choice. So too bad but not so sad.

It is sad because it is not a personal choice.....and for someone with a drug addiction to have that kind of money, it is nothing more than a death sentence.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree with Arlene, but I'd call it suicide, because with that kind of money, treatment is an option that [probably] wasn't available before.
The biggest problem is that effective treatment may not be available at any price, and we don't seem to be making much progress on that front - if anyone's even trying at all.
Every time I see an alcoholic bum, I am so grateful that I never had the desire to drink [or drug, or gamble] to that extent: there, but for the grace of God, ya know?

moose

Veteran Expediter
It is sad because it is not a personal choice......

so dose smoking, obesity, unemployment, alcohol, gay, being divorced, bankruptcy, having 8 kids & no means to support them, collecting welfare, not beating cancer, voting Dem., paying child support for cheating on your wife, drunk driving, been pregnant in high school, not having any seance of personal responsibly, reading my posts, taking a loosing load, or driving a Mazda.

are12

Expert Expediter
You are right Cheri, didn't even think of that. She could have gotten the best treatment possible. It's a shame she didn't take the opportunity to do so.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It might not have done anything but delay the inevitable, ya know? The shame is that treatment isn't available for the many who would be able to quit the self destruction - or the mentally ill, either. We just blame them for their problems cause it's easier.
It's easier to get money for weapons to kill people than for research or programs to help them. Unless they live in another country - we can help them a lot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most, not all, addiction IS self inflicted. The behavior needed to become addicted to something is, for the most part, a CHOICE.

Addiction CAN be overcome, without treatment, seen it happen many times. Ending an addiction can be a choice as well.

Mental illness, for the most part, is NOT a choice.

are12

Expert Expediter
This is a topic that hits very close to home for me and something I have tried to understand for many, many years.

I am sure there are "some" that can overcome addiction on their own. Me, personally, know of no one that was able to do that without some sort of help. I have seen some go through rehab, jail, rehab again and they were still unable to walk away from it all and ended up dead because of it. I have seen some go to jail for 5 years and come out a totally different person....no more drugs, not even a drop of alcohol. But because of their addictive personality, they will find something else to replace it....most times, it seems to be with food.

I have gone to endless counseling and meetings just trying to understand how a person gets addicted to drugs and just can't give them up. They say a person won't quit until they have hit rock bottom....for some, that is death.

I know alot of people don't agree with the way I feel about this subject and that is ok because unless you walked in my shoes....you will never understand why I feel the way I do.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
so dose smoking, obesity, unemployment, alcohol, gay, being divorced, bankruptcy, having 8 kids & no means to support them, collecting welfare, not beating cancer, voting Dem., paying child support for cheating on your wife, drunk driving, been pregnant in high school, not having any seance of personal responsibly, reading my posts, taking a loosing load, or driving a Mazda.

Really, Moose? Gay is a choice?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It might not have done anything but delay the inevitable, ya know? The shame is that treatment isn't available for the many who would be able to quit the self destruction - or the mentally ill, either. We just blame them for their problems cause it's easier.
It's easier to get money for weapons to kill people than for research or programs to help them. Unless they live in another country - we can help them a lot.

Drug addiction is a choice simply because you have to make the choice to start using and to continue using. A disease is something that is forced on you and you have no say in the matter, like cancer. There are 2 reasons people become addicts one is to cover pain and the other is they developed an addiction through recreational use. The recreational user that developed an addiction is easier to get clean because the one covering pain needs to deal with a physical addiction and psychological issues.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pallid you ever had an addiction? It certainly isn't as cut and dry as you state. Kinda like saying having a car wreck is a choice because you choose to drive.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geez now i can't even edit because it won't choose my post. That last one was for paullud.

Status
Not open for further replies.