Looking to start an expediting company and need help!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok how about what I have accomplished so far... my brother and I 23 and 24 years old. We bought our first rental house when we were 19 and 20 and now we own 7 rental units. I sell cars and my brother works on cars at local dealerships and we save all over our money to invest in businesses in hopes of being rich one day. We are up for any investment that can make us money and this seems like a good idea. Currently we have approximately $100,000 in cash and make around $180,000 cummulatively/year between our rentals and jobs.

Let me get my calculator. Umm, 23 and 24 minus 19 and 20, uh, ah 4 years! You and your brother have owned rental units for 4 years, you now own 7 units and you have $100,000 in cash saved up. Sounds good! I have never owned any rental units, but I have owned two houses, but not similtaniously. Both houses were built and purchased new. After some time both these homes required an infusion of cash for the replacement of appliances, water heater, roof, windows, paint, siding etc. A hundred grand in cash might seem like a pot of gold but spread over 7 rental units, I would assume of varying ages and upkeep, it ain't going to take you real far, provided you intend on maintaining your properties.

If the slum lord thing has been good for you guys, why not continue to invest in a business you are familar with?

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Remember the old joke " How do you make a Million $ in Trucking, you start with 2 Million" invest in something a lot more stable.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I barely tried to work last week and made 300 bucks off 2 vans. I guess you can't make money with trucks. I have a driver in one of our company vans and he's made us 3k net in 2 months! I guess 3k don't buy no steaks. It's not easy money, but it is money nonetheless. Not to mention that when I take my own loads for myself I get the full rate and do not have to split a cut with a trucking company!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I barely tried to work last week and made 300 bucks off 2 vans. I guess you can't make money with trucks. I have a driver in one of our company vans and he's made us 3k net in 2 months! I guess 3k don't buy no steaks. It's not easy money, but it is money nonetheless. Not to mention that when I take my own loads for myself I get the full rate and do not have to split a cut with a trucking company!

Yep...your really gettin it done Blizz. I would have no problem encouraging these young men to ditch an apparently lucrative career to follow in your footsteps.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yep...your really gettin it done Blizz. I would have no problem encouraging a young man to follow in your footsteps.

The easy entry into this way of doing business is appealing but I also wonder if it may also be its undoing.

When I learned of this business model in February, and as I sat at my desk in our Florida vacation house, it occurred to me that I have everything I need to do what others are doing in this under-the-regulatory-radar ("URR") model. That is: one truck with a DOT number that I can use to establish myself as a carrier, a telephone, fax capability, internet access, industry awareness, a known name and good reputation (if I may say so myself), sales and administrative skills, and a bit of capital.

I also have a place to do business. Out on the road, my world headquarters would be my truck sleeper. Off the road it would be my office in Florida or a card table and folding chair at home in Minnesota.

If I decided to establish a URR carrier (no such decision has been made nor is it likely to be), I could be in business in a few days. It would take more than a few days to build a base of good drivers, but that's where the business could become self-defeating, it seems.

Since the URR carriers contract with van owner-operators on a non-exclusive basis, and since most URR's are working the same load boards to get the same freight, the easiest way for me to get drivers is to find those who work for other URR carriers and pay them a bit more than other URR carriers so the drivers will be most loyal to me (or at least call me first when available).

Van drivers would pass the word, "Go with Phil. He's a good guy and pays a nickel more." Then Joe comes along to pay six cents more, then Sally who pays seven cents more, then Fred who gives a free day at a day spa for every five loads completed, and then Jane who pays a $500 bonus for every 10 loads completed, etc.

The justification for higher driver payouts and bonuses is volume. You give up some money on each load but because you do more loads, you make more at the end of the day. But the problem is that with more volume you need more people to dispatch the freight and more money to cover your increased overhead.

It's the same as in a truck. The more money you are willing to give away, the busier you will be. But at the end of the day you discover that you have made shippers rich while making little or nothing for yourself.

The more people adopt this business model and become URR carriers, the less profitable the model will be. And since it is very easy to become a URR carrier, it seems likely that more and more people will do so and this very thing will happen.

Am I right or wrong?

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shipit, just curious, why are you considering owning trucks and hiring drivers, as opposed to the owner/operator business model?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The easy entry into this way of doing business is appealing but I also wonder if it may also be its undoing.

When I learned of this business model in February, and as I sat at my desk in our Florida vacation house, it occurred to me that I have everything I need to do what others are doing in this under-the-regulatory-radar ("URR") model. That is: one truck with a DOT number that I can use to establish myself as a carrier, internet access, industry awareness, a known name and good reputation (if I may say so myself), sales and administrative skills, and a bit of capital.

I also have a place to do business. Out on the road, my world headquarters would be my truck sleeper. Off the road it would be my office in Florida or a card table and folding chair at home in Minnesota.

If I decided to establish a URR carrier (no such decision has been made nor is it likely to be), I could be in business in a few days. It would take more than a few days to build a base of good drivers, but that's where the business could become self-defeating, it seems.

Since the URR carriers contract with owner-operators on a non-exclusive basis, and since most URR's are working the same load boards to get the same freight, the easiest way for me to get drivers is to find those who work for other URR carriers and pay them a bit more than other URR carriers so the drivers will be most loyal to me. Van drivers would pass the word, "Go with Phil. He's a good guy and pays a nickel more." Then Joe comes along to pay six cents more, then Sally who pays seven cents more, etc.

The more people who become URR carriers with that idea in mind, the less profitable the model will be. And since it is very easy to start an URR carrier, it is likely that more and more people will do so and this very thing will happen.

Am I right or wrong?

I think your right..to a degree. There are some that are doing a good job and being successful. But, for the most part, I think your giving the business model way too much credit. I don't think there is enough money in it to pay the extra nickel. I think what actually happens is that in an effort to show the driver that they can get him loads, the URRs begin a bidding process that actually hurts the rate to the driver. They bid against each other on the same load, for the same unit and the price is impacted in a negative direction.

Some of these guys do a good job. Some don't. I've been told of, and witnessed, certain practices applied right here on EO that cause me to raise an eyebrow. One being the promotion of one's self in a manner not consistent with reality. I have seen the comment made to "give my recruiting department a call at xxx-xxx-xxx........". Guess what? Call that recruiting dept. then call the dispatcher, then call the CEO. My bet is that the voices will all sound familiar. If you listen really close, you'll probably hear "mom" cooking dinner in the background :).

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think your right..to a degree. There are some that are doing a good job and being successful. But, for the most part, I think your giving the business model way too much credit. I don't think there is enough money in it to pay the extra nickel. I think what actually happens is that in an effort to show the driver that they can get him loads, the URRs begin a bidding process that actually hurts the rate to the driver. They bid against each other on the same load, for the same unit and the price is impacted in a negative direction.

Some of these guys do a good job. Some don't. I've been told of, and witnessed, certain practices applied right here on EO that cause me to raise an eyebrow. One being the promotion of one's self in a manner not consistent with reality. I have seen the comment made to "give my recruiting department a call at xxx-xxx-xxx........". Guess what? Call that recruiting dept. then call the dispatcher, then call the CEO. My bet is that the voices will all sound familiar. If you listen really close, you'll probably hear "mom" cooking dinner in the background :).

I hate it when mom is banging dishes in the background when i'm on the phone with Landstar Agents trying to book loads for my drivers. I tell them that we're tearing down a few walls because we need more room for our dispatch crew. They always ask me "gee, you've been working on that wall for 6 months now" and I tell them I hired that one painter guy from that show where the painter is always paintng the same room for the entire life of the show! Some carriers are like tha tmovie "speed trap" I think where the guy was the sherif, clerk, bailif, mayer, juge lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phil could you p.m. me Jane's phone number, Fred's also. The day spa thing sounds good. I'm looking for a new carrier.

shipit

Active Expediter
Hey guys... this is the other brother I was just reviewing the posts and we appreciate the input, it just seems like the business model all of you are talking about is different from the one we have in mind. We wish to run a carrier operation in which we own NO trucks, mainly utilize bid boards and as our business grows use our contacts from previous business transactions to find freight and loads. We only want to hire drivers who operate only cargo sprinters, cubes, or small straights who haul 10,000lbs or less. Ideally we would like to contract with about 5-10 drivers and not rely on this business as a source of income but rather a way to grow a business and if it goes well we can hire more and more drivers and maybe one day only handle the website, payroll and such and find a good dispatcher or two who can handle bidding on loads and contracting with drivers. Anyone in that business or work for a carrier like that?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It may seem like we are talking about a different business model but that is because of a lack of knowledge and experience. I'm not saying this to be rude but it is the cold hard truth. You guys seem to think you can just throw some money in and watch the business grow. You are talking about vehicles with a small margin of profit and seem to think there is good money to be made. The next thing you probably haven't thought about is why is a driver going to come over with his equipment to be left at the mercy of 2 people that have no idea what they are doing. If I were desperate enough to go with a company like yours I would just get my own authority and run on my own and get all the money. The reality is you need to have a company established that you have been making money running in your own equipment and have a lot of industry knowledge before you have any business bringing others into it. Why would you be so irresponsible and inconsiderate to have someone come in and risk their vehicle, home, and equipment because you want to play around? Are you going to tell all prospective drivers that you have no experience or knowledge of the industry but you just figured you would give it a shot because you having nothing on the line? If you have any sense of decency and are not complete scum bags you would need to tell them. I suggested a 5+ year plan for you guys before but it wasn't going to get you where you wanted to be fast enough so I guess you just figure I don't know what you are talking about. Or how about the others that have said you need to get involved and gain experience before you start a company, I guess they just weren't smart enough either.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Last edited:

shipit

Active Expediter
maybe you can tell me this so I can gain some experience and insight. If I came to you (a driver) and said "i'm just starting up and probably wont have a large amount of loads but will contact you when I see you are in service and told you I was thinking about bidding on the load would you be interested and if you're not I wont bid on it" would you you consider that load? You and I both knowing you are pretty much a sub contractor and can not only accept loads form me but ANY other brokerage or company you choose to contract with

paullud

Veteran Expediter
maybe you can tell me this so I can gain some experience and insight. If I came to you (a driver) and said "i'm just starting up and probably wont have a large amount of loads but will contact you when I see you are in service and told you I was thinking about bidding on the load would you be interested and if you're not I wont bid on it" would you you consider that load? You and I both knowing you are pretty much a sub contractor and can not only accept loads form me but ANY other brokerage or company you choose to contract with

No their really wouldn't be a reason for me to. If you are getting your freight from a board you are much more likely to bid it down against another company I was signed on with. The other aspect of the situation is I would just get my own authority since it is relatively cheap and take that load from you and keep 100% of it rather than what you would pay me. When you are dealing with vehicles under 10k lbs the value a company provides is the customer base that has been developed over years. This is not a way to learn what you are doing, there are just way to many ins and outs. If you really want to start a company with no experience or knowledge the only possible way I see it having a chance is if you hire a CEO right from the start and just hope he knows what he is doing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you guys offer a free day at a spa after completing 5 loads like Fred does?

shipit

Active Expediter
you could take the load... but from my understanding lets say u just took a 1000ml load, delivered it and went to bed. u dont always get every load u bid on right? sometimes u have to bid on many loads before u get one? wouldnt it b more efficient and make u more money in the end if u accepted my load i called u for the next morning when u wake up because my dispatcher was watching the boards while u were sleeping, for 80% of the profit and not bid on loads for the first 3-4 hrs or more the next day?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If I were going to invest $100k in a business that I had no experience working in I would buy an established business.
A no knowledge of the industry start up is way to risky.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hey guys... this is the other brother I was just reviewing the posts and we appreciate the input, it just seems like the business model all of you are talking about is different from the one we have in mind. We wish to run a carrier operation in which we own NO trucks, mainly utilize bid boards and as our business grows use our contacts from previous business transactions to find freight and loads. We only want to hire drivers who operate only cargo sprinters, cubes, or small straights who haul 10,000lbs or less. Ideally we would like to contract with about 5-10 drivers and not rely on this business as a source of income but rather a way to grow a business and if it goes well we can hire more and more drivers and maybe one day only handle the website, payroll and such and find a good dispatcher or two who can handle bidding on loads and contracting with drivers. Anyone in that business or work for a carrier like that?

Great! Another potential future "carrier" that brings no freight, no additional capacity and creates artificial competition to drive rates down for the carriers and ultimately the owner operator.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
you could take the load... but from my understanding lets say u just took a 1000ml load, delivered it and went to bed. u dont always get every load u bid on right? sometimes u have to bid on many loads before u get one? wouldnt it b more efficient and make u more money in the end if u accepted my load i called u for the next morning when u wake up because my dispatcher was watching the boards while u were sleeping, for 80% of the profit and not bid on loads for the first 3-4 hrs or more the next day?

No because I only get 80%, I can do what you are proposing but I can do it better because of my experiences both good and bad. You might be worth 3-5% as a load finder but you wouldn't provide much more value than that unless you come up with some high paying load that pays me $2/mile.

shipit

Active Expediter
what does one additional driver do to the industry who brings no freight just competition for all other drivers in the industry who are already established? just drives down the price. increased supply of drivers=decreased supply of loads and cheaper rates to drivers. Im not trying to steal money from anyone but I am willing to provide drivers with loads and on time payments

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What do you think 2 people bidding on freight that have no idea what they are doing will do to the industry?