//// Looking to Run under these terms....What do you think ? ////

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I skimmed hours of service .......

Per the company, most runs are almost all highway so if the trucks can make 70 MPH for long stretches...

.......the extra hassles of learning how to cook the books as well .
Skimming HOS?

Trucks doing 70?

Cooking books?

Wow!
Smh

Skimming HOS... he glanced at the regs.
Under 26,000 can run car speed limits.

Can’t cook books anymore.

You got 1 out of 3.

NOW SIT DOWN.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Per the company, most runs are almost all highway so if the trucks can make 70 MPH for long stretches...

Skimming HOS?

Trucks doing 70?

Cooking books?

Wow!
Smh

You got 1 out of 3.

NOW SIT DOWN.
Quit defending him..... this guy is a wreck waiting to happen. When it does happen all fingers will be pointed at the trucking industry saying .... see see seee how bad truckers are.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI,

FWIW , I skimmed the hos regs only to get some background and to know things are complicated and more complicated than they should be or need to be....

The company will be nice and send a rep out to meet us somewhere (me an the driver) to teach us hands on how to do logs (they said it's easier to see and learn in person rather than just reading it in a book....I'm sure that's the case because I know I learn better that way).

As far as speed....I wouldn't feel good doing 70 in my older trucks in school zones (OK just kidding) ....
they are loud at the speeds they can reach (62 mph speed limited by governor so I can't reach 70 anyways) but the rental trucks I've driven feel ok lightly loaded at 65+ mph (70 requires holding the pedal firmly to the floor).

Of course I realize 70 in congested areas is a no no since trucks take way longer to stop...I would only do higher speeds in the open on interstates etc

Only reason I mentioned the 70 was because we have a lot of miles to cover in the legal hours we can drive (the regs practically force you to speed ! ...OK maybe not so don't flame too hard ;-)

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The extended cab meets the minimum definition of a legal sleeper. The original carrier I used to run for bought only trucks like this and never once has anything been said about it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

A legal sleeper only needs to be 24 inches wide if I remember correctly.
I’d sure hate to pay $88,000 for that truck.
Good truck for what he needs.
I stand corrected.....

Can i sit down now?
No. Go in time out.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The extended cab meets the minimum definition of a legal sleeper. The original carrier I used to run for bought only trucks like this and never once has anything been said about it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

A legal sleeper only needs to be 24 inches wide if I remember correctly.
I’d sure hate to pay $88,000 for that truck.
Good truck for what he needs.
I stand corrected.....

Can i sit down now?
No. Go in time out.
If i must!

branns-steakhouse-and-sports-grille-1384775429.jpg

Ragmama says shes hungry.

Reactions: RedBird

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Skimming HOS?

Trucks doing 70?

Cooking books?

Wow!
Smh

You got 1 out of 3.

NOW SIT DOWN.
Quit defending him..... this guy is a wreck waiting to happen. When it does happen all fingers will be pointed at the trucking industry saying .... see see seee how bad truckers are.

I somewhat agree.
He’ll probably be safer :
A )If we get him out of his present equipment
B )In the real world where he sees some enforcement.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

No a broker and company out of Maryland...

I had tried CEVA but at the time they didn't have anything for box trucks ....Just TT (It was really hard to find people using box truck that DIDN'T want you out on the road for weeks at a time,,,,THAT is why I LIKED what these folks offered (typically weekends OFF and home once or twice a week to boot).

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I would not try to discourage most people from entering this business if they have a good business plan and the will to try; however, in this case with a leased/rental truck with no sleeper and, seemingly, failure to do enough research on your own without full knowledge of DOT and IRS regs plus legal and accountant guidance, I think you are setting yourself up for failure in a short amount of time. With the limited info provided, we cannot tell if you are getting $2.10 a mile or 70/75% of $2.10 a mile. Without a sleeper in the truck, your co-driver is essentially useless for the purpose of extending drive time so you may as well drive solo and avoid your daily $135 expense. If you company wants a 26 foot box, they will want 26 feet of cargo space, so forget a box sleeper. On the east coast, you'll be lucky to average 500 miles a day. How much of that is deadhead back home and will you get DH pay? You'll need time off for for truck PM and CM, that needs to be considered as part of your time.

My fuzzy math sez you'll have weekly expenses of $525, rental, 440, mileage; 675, helper; 675, self; 400 motels; 1500 fuel; and 250, tolls. (Total est thus far $4465) You still have rental vehicle, liability and cargo insurance costs, OTR food costs and any charge-back costs that the carrier my impose such as ELD installation and rental fees. You'll need adequate FMCSA approved load securement devices and truck fittings. It's hard to tell if you are investing in a business or just buying a job for you and your friend. Good luck on your choices; we truly wish you success in expediting

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears this truck will be a solo operation with his "helper" driving it.

Without a sleeper in the truck, your co-driver is essentially useless for the purpose of extending drive time so you may as well drive solo and avoid your daily $135 expense.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out BUT in truth my helper will be the primary on this....I MAY try it occasionally just to experience it and make a few extra $$ in another truck (one that we have AFTER we make a few $$ from this run to fix up our other trucks more to DOT specs).