Looking to join Express 1 - what is their track re

travelin man

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Looking to join Express 1 - what is their trac

>I am running a straight truck with a 22 ft box and a 96 in
>sleeper. I am running team. I am currently with Tri-State.
>And I am happy with them :)

GL

mstaz,
Thanks for your courtesy in replying. Good Luck!
Happy trails to you.

GL:) :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Bubba: There are too many variables to give you an answer to this. What kinda truck, how will it be equiped? A truck is not a truck, is not a truck. They are different. Are you going to give your Carrier and their customers every reason you can, to put freight on your truck? Are you willing to fingerprint freight, inside deliverys? Are you going to nickel and dime them for extra charges, or, do you want to move freight. Way too many variables. the biggest unknown is, we don't have a clue what makes you tick. So, not answerable.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

I know there are variables. I can somewhat adjust for that. If I could get a sample of what is out there, then I can have a better idea. I am not asking for an exact answer to tell me what I can assume to get. I am asking what others have gotten so I can figure what I can kinda expect. I have a 26' ft straight truck and can carry 10,000lbs of non hazmat material. I am willing to take freight where it needs to go and willing to drive any state. I would like to stay in the eastern half of the country, but willing to go west as well. If I hear that most people get 1500 to 2000 miles then I can guess that is what I can usually expect. If it varies more from 1000 to 4000 then I will have to see what variables make that. But even there I can guess the average I could see. Just info info info is what I need - then I can determine much more.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

10K ain't much, Sleeper, liftgate, Logistics? What are you doing with the truck now? Expected hometime? You really won't be able to determine anything until you get out there. Averages for people are all over the board, and, they ain't any guarentees.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

Getting out there and going in blindly isn't a smart way to do anything. Why can't drivers just give up the info and let the person taking in the info make a decision from there? What is the problem with just giving honest info and letting someone else know how to judge things from there. I know that there are variables and no guarantees, but there are stats out there that can give me a better idea. There will always be variables; weather, truck accessories, companies needing runs made, weight, size, pay offered verses pay needed, hours the driver can run, yadda yadda yadda, but there are facts - what drivers are getting per week, per month each of the 12 months, and the miles per year, how many dead head miles driven, and other past known info. That info is what I can best determine what is my best route - the past can't predict the future, but it can certainly give an idea.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

I'll type what i'd do. I'd call E-1 if that's your target. Ask what their average O/O gets for miles and revenue. Then, all you have to do, is figgure how average you are.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

What if I can't tell whether Express 1 is giving the truth or just pumping pipe dream info to get me to join and then be stuck in the mess. If I get info from others out there then I take it all in to make the best decision possible. Now I have to take into consideration that any information, whether from Express 1 or another carrier, or from drivers could be false. That is the reason to check all sources and see what surfaces to make a good decision.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Begs the question, if you don't trust them, why even consider them, or, anyone else for that matter? If you are that anal, you best keep doing what you are doing. Fact is, it's not "if" the best laid plans go astray, it's "when". Nature of the business.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

If I get info that makes me be able to trust them that coincides with what they say, then I can make a wise decision. Trust just can't be given without knowing info to allow trust to be there. Blind trust is a deadly thing in any situation or any business.

dpea9

Expert Expediter

Bubbajeff8, sounds like you what a perfect answer for a perfect world. I am going to let you in on a little secret. There is no perfect answer and there sure in the H___ isn't a perfect world. So as my flight instructor told me many years ago, Dan if it doesn't feel right THEN DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

I agree with you Dan bubba if you dont feel right with going to Express-1 then dont go with them if they cant give the answer that you want. Dont always believe what you hear from other drivers that are signed on with them

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

Well, I can see you had a bad experience with expedite and doing well with OTR. I do not want to drive a tractor - trailer. Plus I do have a family and I know that with OTR, unless you are out there a long long time you won't make it either. I do expect to expedite, but I am trying to get an idea of what kind of miles I can expect to average. Why is it so hard to get someone to just give that kind of info? I enjoy expedite and wish to make a decision, but I would like some honest info of what has occurred for others miles, dead head miles, and other ways of making money with Express 1 or other expedite companies.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Any carrier you are interested in should be able to give you the average miles for any size vehicle either solo or team. If they won't provide the information then scratch them off your list. You seem frustrated that everyone isn't rushing to post a bunch of numbers here that really wouldn't be of a lot of use to you. At best you would get numbers from 1-2% of any given carriers drivers. That isn't a large enough sampling group to be accurately reflective of the carrier's statistics and some of the numbers you get will be inaccurate as well.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

I am giving honest answers when it comes to loaded miles. Deadhead miles we gave them the first 100 miles and they usually keep us under that so they did not have to pay the .10 per mile for deadhead for anything after 100 miles. But like I have said in other forums call the recuriting department and ask them about the start up costs are.You can also go to their website and look on there for the info that you may want

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

Bubba, let me first say that I am with Express-1. I can give you some numbers to let you know how I have been doing with them, but that won't necessarily do you any good. This business is more about what you are willing to put into it rather than what a company is going to offer you. There is no standard answer or magic words or anything like that to make you successful. Most of the carriers (I say most,not all) that you will find on this site are going to give you as many miles as they feasibly can. This only makes sense because they make money based on miles run just like you would.It also takes a while to know where the freight lanes are.
Where the rubber meets the road so to speak is, first of all, what are you willing to commit to the business? Those who suceed in this stay in service almost always, and they don't turn down loads. You are going to hear all kinds of stories about picking and choosing your loads carefully but let me tell you, when you are the new guy on the block, the carrier wants to know you are going to take a load when called upon.I can tell you from experience this is a good practice. More often than not when I take a load that really seems like a dud, it leads to someplace where I get a great one! This happens a lot. Not to mention the dispatchers know they can count on me. Some on this forum will call me a sucker ( just watch what gets posted immediately after I get done with this one) but I am telling you this is probably the biggest key to my success.
Now, as far as Express-1 is concerned, As I mentioned it is only in the best interest of the carrier to keep you running. I drive a one ton extended van and I follow the guidelines I specified above. I get about 1600 to 2000 loaded miles per week. If you have seen the pay scale on the E-1 website, you can figure out what my aproximate revenue is per week.This is an average. Sometimes it is a little more and sometimes a little less.
Keep in mind I practice what I preach. You reap what you sew.Hope this helps to answer your questions.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

Thank you for honest info. That is what I was looking for. Have you been able to get honest info from them? Have they given what they offered as far as pay, dead head pay and negotiation, detention time, etc etc. I am willing to take runs and work hard so that I can make money for my family. I have been stung by previous employers promises not being what they say. I am wondering how long you have been with them? What areas do you run? Do you know any of the straight truck drivers? If so, do you know how they do? I appreciate any info you have.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

Bubba, I am not sure what you mean by "do they give you honest info?"
What I was trying to explain to you in the last post is that yes they are honest. It is more about you than them. Yes I know straight truck drivers and it is the same deal. You reap what you sew.At some point you'll just need to bite the bullet and give it a try.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

I got advice from many people and thanks for all the info I got here. I decided not to go with them, because they wanted to charge me $1100 to join when the company I was with them an agent had already paid for it. They charge $35 a week for qual comm - figure they make off their drivers $750,000 a year for this alone and it is pure crap. The miles are less 30 to 50 per trip vs. what you actually have to drive. The directions are almost always wrong too. I pray for those who are with Express 1, that they don't ripped off, and can make money.

I am with the company who was an agent of Express 1 and I am praying for good miles and that our company makes the lives ruined by Express 1, back to better than it was when we had joined Express 1 in December of 2006. We are looking for good paying runs in West Michigan and into the surrounding states.

I pray that God prevents any accidents occuring anywhere to anyone, good financial rewards, and many great blessings daily with where they are and who they are with!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Bubba, With your attitude, I see a short painfull career in the business.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter

The directions they use are not the greatist, but if you get stuck you can call them and they will guide you right to the dock...They havent done me wrong yet, but I dont really know why they charge for the Quallcom yet..Seems to me it only benifits the customers since they caa on cellphone for loads...Anyone find any personal benifits of the QC yet that this newbie doesnt know about???Looney