Looking to join Express 1 - what is their track re

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking to join Express 1, but I don't know much about them. I am just wondering how they are ranked and how well they can produce work. I am wondering what they pay per loaded mile vs the average? I have heard they are number 3 or 4 expedite company in the US, is this true?

Jayman

Expert Expediter
RE: Looking to join Express 1 - what is their trac

I dont drive for them. But, have only heard good stuff. Talk to Scott on the "ask the recruiter" forum. He is an Express 1 recruiter. He is cool and can help you.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Scott (X1-SRH) has left Express-1 and gone to school to get a degree in education. He's going to teach High School

mhoy40

Expert Expediter

i drove for them before and like many others thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence,this was right after segmentz bought them in 04, i didnt like some of the policies and politics at that time,i stayed for a year then left, i went else where actually a couple of elssewheres and eight months later went back and have been pleasently surprised since coming back in aug'06.scott unfortenatly has went to finish his degree and that was a huge lose not only to express-1 but to this forum as well,hes was a straight shooter and didnt pull any punches.dwayne ridgeway is a recruiter over there and is also on this site and involved with some of the work shops he can be bruttaly honest as well.i would also be glad to speek with u just drop me a line in the pm and i'll get back 2 u.

Jayman

Expert Expediter

Oh...ok, thanks. Must have missed that. :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I consider them a top 5 company and have them on my short list of companies to seriously look into before getting into expediting. I started out with them. Being out of Houston it was tough getting work into and out of home. In the freight lanes they kept me pretty busy. They have a great staff of people and at least at that time knew you as a name not a number. Good luck with your decision.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

I drove for Express-1 for about a month and a half and if you wanna do alot of solo runs when you are team they are for you their rates are $1.12 or $1.20 for their loads. The fuel surcharge is $0.14 per mile. They were starving me and my co-driver so we left and went to another expedite company and so far we have not had a chance to stop and relax since we signed on with them

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

What kind of miles were you getting and where were you going to? Did you have a chance to get anymore than the $1.12 per mile? Were you able to negotiate for dead head miles? What did they charge to join and what costs were there for monthly charges?

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I don't care what anyone says about EPO1: they may be nice but that doesn't put money in your pocket. In this new climate, one needs to work for more than cheap NLM run-backhauls. From what I have heard, there are still a lot of team runs given to solos. If that is what you want, and you enjoy sitting around waiting for the 7 pm call after waiting all day to run a NLM load; go for it.
If a solo could try and stay in the midwest freight lanes, you could probably do o.k. If you have a new truck payment every month, I would find someone else who has consistent work in many areas. Once you take that juicy run to a far out area (even New Jersey), you will be waiting for a NLM to get you back. You will wind up DH'ng to CT. to wait on a NLM run. With them, it's always about getting you BACK.

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

We were getting maybe 1500 miles a week. most of our loads were $1.12 and deadhead we were always under a 100 miles. you give them the first 100 miles free then anything after that you get .10 a mile.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter

Forget about all these weak customerless companies and join the pride!!!

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

no thanks on joining the pride. i am currently on with a company that is running more than i can handle right now i get a load from the east coast atleast once a week to west coast. then when i get unloaded i got a load right back to the east coast.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

My advice: stay where you are. If you are making money, why leave. If you are unhappy there with the pay scale, or want to stay more local, them maybe check out others. But as Kangaroo says, go with those who have the freight. I rarely get stuck anywhere...

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

where one is just a number right? I talked to them, and I run Canada, east coast, whatever, and after a nice chat, they never called back. My impression: too many folks willing to swallow the BS and like the big cat logos. My interest would be getting consistent freight out of ON. but if they don't call, I'm not chasing... Besides, I don't like huge orientation classes full of the clowns joking around, and wasting my time.

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

the company that i am with is the same way to me. they dont leave stuck anywhere unless i need my restart

travelin man

Seasoned Expediter

>no thanks on joining the pride. i am currently on with a
>company that is running more than i can handle right now i
>get a load from the east coast atleast once a week to west
>coast. then when i get unloaded i got a load right back to
>the east coast.
mstaz,
Sounds like you are signed on with a great company. Hope you don't mind my asking, but 1)what size rig are you running, 2)are you running team or solo, and 3)who are you running for? Just curious.
Happy trails to you.
GL :)

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

Who are you with? I am needing to make good miles, but I don't want to join only to find out after the fact the info was given was full of hot air. What company has the east coast business for straight truck expedite solo. Life has been put to great with Express 1, but there has to be a down side like anywhere. I like to hear the truth of good and bad, but I can't seem to get the skinny. If someone can just put the truth out there. There seems to be a conflict of perception of non Express 1 drivers, so if there are any Express 1 drivers who can give honest info - that would be great. I.E. - pay per mile, dead head pay, detention pay, costs, average miles, etc....

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

I am running a straight truck with a 22 ft box and a 96 in sleeper. I am running team. I am currently with Tri-State. And I am happy with them :)

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter

I was with Express-1 and all they seemed to be giving us was solo runs. The pay per mile varies to the run you take some of them are $1.12, some are $1.20 per mile it all depends on how they bid on them. the start up costs i am not sure of cause i worked for an owner. Miles varied each week also, it called you play the game on where you are sitting and being at the right place at the right time for the good loads. When I was with them I did not have a hard time getting loads toward the house or even getting out of the house either alot of my loads i got out of ohio. I live in the Pittsburgh area.

bubbajeffh

Seasoned Expediter

Did you get to barter for the dead head miles? Over or under 100 miles? What kind of miles did you get? I know each driver is different, but I am trying to see what the average average is with several drivers. I have heard 1200 to 1500 and then I have heard 2000 to 2500. I would like the hard truthful facts so I can make the best decision possible. I don't like things sugar coated or un-given info (incomplete details), if that makes sense. I have several situations that make my need to have the best idea of income to receive so I can take care of those needs. I know that what occurs for one will not always occur for another. If I have enough of ones then I can see what the average average is. Thanks to all who have posted to this question!