Looking To Buy

joemac45

Expert Expediter
Looking to buy a GPS unit or Laptop at a reasonible price. I have been looking for one through the internet with no luck, prices are to high. If you have one for sale please email me with the discription and your asking price.

Thank You
Joe

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
Wait till Sunday and grab a major cities newspaper.

BestButt, cirKut city, KompUSA & the DEll flyers ALWAYS have their "loss leaders" in the sunday inserts.

No reason to buy used when you can get new for 400 and up.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Check Dell.com on Saturdays. Dell's programs roll over on Sunday night. You can often get zero percent interest for 12 months. I spent about $900 on mine and I pay $80/month. I am using their money as long as I make my monthly on time.

Bought a great laptop and got several free upgrades including a 2 year extended warranty.

You can often find one for under $500.

Suggest you buy a laptop with a built in wireless card. It makes life easier on the road. The plug in external cards have to be removed everytime you put the laptop in a case. Moreover, they always seem to be getting bumped when moving the laptop around in the truck.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
We got our Laptop off of Ebay. Yes it's refurbished but works fine and also had very basic information on it, so you can add what you wanted on it to function on the road with. We paid under $400.00 for it. Hope this helps :)

romoore245

Expert Expediter
Speaking of laptops and gps and such... has anyone tried using a tablet pc with streets and trips gps. It seems it would cost as much as a gps unit but have a 12" screen. If it was usable in tablet mode, it could be mounted like the Qual com. The older version of the tablet pcs price are dropping in price so fast. Anyway just something i've been kicking around trying next. good luck

klippencott

Expert Expediter
If you want a really good laptop at a very reasonable price you should go with Dell. They stand behind their systems and support is really good. They also have refurbished from time to time that have come back on expired leases.

I strongly advise against Gateway. Everyone I know that has owned one has had nothing but trouble with them.

I don't know what area of the country you're in but if you have a Fry's Electronics store around they also have some really good prices on laptops.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Yes, do not get a gateway at all. They are junk/trouble, their tech support is horrible and they lie. I deal with them on a daily basis at my current office job. Also just a bit of FYI for everyone emachines is a company of gateway....

Randy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dell, Gateway, Compaq, Win’whatever’, HP and Panasonic – I have owned about 40 laptops.

I had little problems with my last gateway, but on the other hand my dad has had nothing but problems.

Dell - good machine but tech support was always – let’s say out of warrantee issues, for get about it. Between my customers and I, I have purchased in the last four years fifteen servers from Dell and had problems with their tech support on stupid issue. I also have to say that the Sales staff was kinda idiots but the customer service people were always great.

Compaq – really liked my Compaqs and their tech support BEFORE HP took them over. The oldest one I had was a refreb and finally gave up the ghost a couple years ago (it was almost 6 years old) and beat to c**p. I used this before my others – slow but got the job done.

Win’whatever’ – ok I can’t think of their name, but it was a generic machine. Not bad but the two I owned, one got dropped at a customer’s location (customer’s fault) and I never been able to get it fixed – out in the trash it went.

HP is what I have now and like it a lot; it has a great screen (wide) and a lot of features. The first thing I did when I got it out of the box was to wipe the HD and install everything I needed – all my MS programs, etc…

Now the last I have owned and also liked a lot was my Panasonic, Panasonic tough book to be exact. Expensive but worth it if you use it in a harsh environment and outside. It had a titanium case and the one I got was part of a government test program and sold for pennies. It came with the things that were done to it, like dropped 25 feet onto cement floor and stood on with 300 lbs, pretty cool. I had to sell it to pay the bills, alas I miss it.

I would highly recommend you DON’T get an off brand – stick to one of the major manufactures; DON’T get a model that is old or something that is cheap and a close out. If you have an accident, dropping it maybe, parts may not be easy to get – Screens can cost as much as $400 and if you spent $500, you got a great paper weight. Spend the money to get a good laptop that you know will last you a while.

joemac45

Expert Expediter
Thanks For The Info

To answer your question on who said that, there can be only one answer to that, a smart successful person. Thanks your info it was very helpful.

Joe

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
RE: Thanks For The Info

I had a magellin that crashed, a replacement Magellin that didn't have the needed features, followed by a Garmin that serves me well, but could be better. For example, I must enter an address in order to get a route to a city. Sometimes we don't have an address.

The moral of my comment: Wherever you buy a GPS unit, make certain you can return it for a full refund if you aren't happy with it's performance.

garman351

Expert Expediter
We bought a 2005 Cobra dash mount unit, and we went through four units
and we received a new unit that is 3D and so far it's been working good in service now for only a short itme. A five inch screen that is clear and easy to follow. $800 for it. Buy the extended warranty because I feel the heat etc it just kills these units.

Garman.

diver5240

Seasoned Expediter
I purchased a hp pavilion from sams club with an amd turion 64 processor and streets and trips with a gps antenna. i will say it was the best 1200 dollars i ever spent. the computer has had no problems, and streets and maps save me miles everyday. we al know how to read a map but this program corrects our eyes misconceptions.

MRADI

Expert Expediter
If you do find a laptop, a good gps program with a pos. sensor can be run from the laptop, and purchased for about $100.
good luck

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Can you say apple, my son-in-law has one, and man is it nice. It even has lighted keys for us hunt and peckers.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
One thing that totally turned me off bout those [before mentioned units in this thread] all-n-one GPS units was the screen size. My eyes cannot focus on those tiny 3" screens.
I'm amazed even those with 20/20 vision can see those darn screens after ya suction-cup them to the windshield.

All that has just changed.......

I just loaded in Phoenix and ran across another competitors C unit with what looked to be a HUGE screen. So i approach this extremly nice couple and thev'e shown me the future.

garmin-streetpilot-7200.jpg

7" Touch Screen Navigation System, Text-To-Speech, and Optional Traffic!

The Garmin Streetpilot 7200 is the first portable navigation system to feature a gigantic 7â€(16:9) color touch screen display. Garmin designed the Streetpilot 7200 with RV’s, Trucks and Buses in mind. This whopping 7†display features a resolution of 480 x 234 pixels and an automatic dimming backlight, with a built in photo sensor that adjusts to lighting conditions. Built into the Garmin Streetpilot 7200 is a 12-channel, WAAS GPS antenna for superior tracking. The 7200 also has an MCX connector that will accept an amplified external antenna for assisted tracking in and around tall buildings and to externally mount antenna in RV’s and trucks that have an overhang that may prevent the built in antenna from receiving a GPS signal.

The Garmin Streetpilot 7200 has the entire Garmin Mapsource City Navigator database preloaded to a hard drive so there is no need to download any maps. The Streetpilot 7200 includes the complete Navteq database for all 50 U.S. States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Simply use the touch screen display or the included alphanumeric remote control to enter an address or point of interest and the Garmin Streetpilot 7200 will route you there with both verbal and on screen directions. Verbal turn-by-turn directions are provided from the Streetpilot 7200’s built in speaker. Text-to-Speech guidance will allow the Streetpilot 7200 to speak the name of the street that you are making your next turn onto. Navigation systems without Text-to-Speech will say, “Turn right in 400 feet†with Text-to-Speech guidance you will hear “Turn right on Main St. in 400 feet.†Keeping your eyes on the road and not the 7200’s display. If you need to navigate through several addresses, the Garmin Streetpilot 7200 will accept up to 25 different addresses for one trip. You have the option to enter the addresses in the order that you would like to navigate them or let the Streetpilot 7200 determine the best route through them.

The Garmin Streetpilot 7200 with the addition of the optional GXM 30* antenna will provide you with real time weather forecasts. You can see what the weather will be like along your route or at your destination. With the GXM 30 and the weather subscription from XM you can view current weather conditions, city forecasts and thunderstorm, tornado and flood warnings, right on the Streetpilot 7200’s display.

The optional GXM-30 will also allow you to get Real-Time Traffic information with your Streetpilot 7200, through XM NavTraffic(Monthly Service Required). XM Nav traffic is available in the following cities:

Available XM NavTraffic US Cities Atlanta, GA Baltimore, MD Boston, MA Chicago, IL Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX Detroit, MI Houston, TX Los Angeles, CA Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood, FL Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN New York, NY Orlando, FL Philadelphia, PA Phoenix, AZ Pittsburgh, PA San Diego, CA San Francisco, CA San Jose, CA Seattle, WA St. Louis, MO Tampa, FL Washington, DC

The Streetpilot 7200 can also accept the optional GTM-10 or GTM-11 for traffic information from Total Traffic Network. The Total Traffic Network traffic information is transmitted through an FM broadcast to your GTM-10 or GTM-11 receiver allowing the 7200 to use that information and route you around any delays. The Total Traffic Network is available in the following cities:

Available Total Traffic Network US Cities Atlanta, GA Austin, TX Baltimore, MD Boston, MA Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC Chicago, IL Cincinnati, OH Cleveland, OH Columbus, OH Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX Denver-Boulder, CO Detroit, MI Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point, NC Hartford-New Britain-Middletown, CT Houston-Galveston, TX Indianapolis, IN Jacksonville, FL Kansas City, MO - KS Las Vegas, NV Los Angeles, CA Memphis, TN Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood, FL Middlesex-Somerset-Union, NJ Milwaukee-Racine, WI Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Nashville, TN Nassau-Suffolk, NY New Orleans, LA New York, NY Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA Orlando, FL Philadelphia, PA Phoenix, AZ Pittsburgh, PA Portland, OR Providence-Warwick-Pawtucket, RI Raleigh-Durham, NC Riverside-San Bernardino, CA Sacramento, CA Salt Lake City-Ogden-Provo, UT San Antonio, TX San Diego, CA San Francisco, CA San Jose, CA Seattle-Tacoma, WA St. Louis, MO Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Washington, DC West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL

The Streetpilot 7200 can also handle your Music needs with the built in MP3 player and the available XM Radio*(XM radio requires GXM 30 antenna). The Garmin Streetpilot 7200 can play MP3 files or Audio Books that are stored to an SD memory card or the internal available memory. The GXM 30 antenna will allow you to subscribe to XM Radio, which includes 150-plus commercial free stations. XM Radio has channels dedicated to Music, Sports, News, Talk, and Entertainment. The music and routing speech can be heard through your existing car stereo speakers with the built in FM Wireless transmitter or through an audio output jack. The Garmin Streetpilot 7200 also features a composite video input for an external analog source, such as a backup camera.

Unit Size: 7.5â€W x 4.5â€H x 2.2â€D, Display Size 7†(16:9), Weight: 1.4 pounds Warranty: 1 year
*Monthly Subscription through XM is required.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
http://www.refurbdepot.com/category.cfm?PageID=607

GARMIN STREETPILOT 2620
4266.jpg

List Price: $1,399.95
Our Price: $469.95
You Save: $930.00 (66.4%)

MAGELLAN RoadMate 300 Touch Screen GPS
3896.jpg

300 WAAS-Enabled GPS Receiver with 3.5" Touch Screen, 14 parallel GPS channels, Software includes 48 U.S. state maps and Canada.
List Price: $999.95
Our Price: $299.95
You Save: $700.00 (70.0%)

MAGELLAN RoadMate 700 Touch Screen GPS
4019.jpg

WAAS-Enabled GPS Receiver with 10GB Hard Drive, 3.0" Touch Screen LCD, 12 parallel GPS channels, Software includes 48 U.S. state maps and Canada.
List Price: $1,999.95
Our Price: $427.95
You Save: $1,572.00 (78.6%)

GARMIN STREETPILOT 2610
4276.jpg

List Price: $1,399.95
Our Price: $417.95
You Save: $982.00 (70.1%)