Looking to buy cargo van or sprinter. Any particular make/model?

jade114

Active Expediter
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a cargo van or sprinter. Would you guys recommend any particular make or model the for cargo van or sprinter. Also, what would be a good year and mileage on the cargo van or sprinter?

Any feedback is appreciated.:)

guido4475

Not a Member
A loaded question, that's for sure! There are so many opinions, theories on this one.

I have a 12' spartan body Ford E-350, gasser, that I love to death.Sure, the gas mileage is 12-14 mpg, but look at the cost difference of diesel vs gas also.And the difference between the two is substantial for repairs, maintenance as well.

Sure, it is not a Sprinter, with a nice ride, quietness, or mpg that they get, but I like it for the parts availability anywhere I go, in stock, and the cheapness of just owning it.Anybody can work on these.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
Well I would say that it is what you like. If u go with a van get a extend one myself I come from a Ford family so I like the E250 thay will handle alot and stop good on gas (16 to 17 mpg depending on driver habits ) oil changes are $25 at wal mart and if u keep up on maintenance I have hard of them tuning a million miles and more and with a few tool and a little know how you can fix a lot your self. As far as sprinters go I have never had one so for me to tell you would be 2ed hand and well that how miss info starts good luck and of u have any Q you can pm me I will try to help you
Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a cargo van or sprinter. Would you guys recommend any particular make or model the for cargo van or sprinter. Also, what would be a good year and mileage on the cargo van or sprinter?

Any feedback is appreciated.:)

There is tons of information on this site said 1,000's of times....do some reading and draw your own conclusions...

welcome to EO...:)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every vehicle has its upsides and downsides. Last vehicle I had was a 2005 Sprinter 2500. Upside, the ride wasn't bad, it got 21.5 to the gallon of diesel, it was tall-- I could stand upright and had to reach up to touch the roof-- and it was long. 14 feet between the back of the front seat and the back doors. That easily allowed three skids. Downside: It's a Mercedes, regardless of what the nameplate says, so it's expensive to get parts for. Parts can be hard to come by. If you break down in a small town-- I broke down in Tuscola, Illinois-- you might find getting a mechanic a real challenge.

American cargo vans: Upside, the ride generally isn't bad, gasoline is available anywhere in the US, if you break down parts and service are usually readily available and not as expensive as Sprinters. Downside: It's smaller. You have a 4 foot height at the door, standard length of the cargo bed is 10 feet, allowing only two skids, the extended is a bit longer but really not by much what is it, 18 inches, maybe two feet longer, tops. Gasoline mileage is usually less than diesel.

Note that I make no difference in American CVs. I don't know enough about Dodges, and as far as Fords or Chevies-- I've had good and bad luck with both over the years, it's personal preference as much as anything else with these.

jade114

Active Expediter
With the Ford's and GMC and Chevy's I am more worried about the mpg than anything else. Right now how the prices are with gas, and most of those being V8 well above 4.0L it is tough to keep them running all the time.

On the other hand, not that I am limited on cash, but Sprinter's do cost money however they are better with mpg and more cargo space/comfortable.

Its a tough choice.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the Ford's and GMC and Chevy's I am more worried about the mpg than anything else. Right now how the prices are with gas, and most of those being V8 well above 4.0L it is tough to keep them running all the time.

On the other hand, not that I am limited on cash, but Sprinter's do cost money however they are better with mpg and more cargo space/comfortable.

Its a tough choice.

Keep in mind only the pre-07 sprinters will you have MPG's advantage...the 07 and up on the van level of MPG's..
and diesel is more expensive then gas...advantage van...like Cargomax and others...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind only the pre-07 sprinters will you have MPG's advantage...the 07 and up on the van level of MPG's..
and diesel is more expensive then gas...advantage van...like Cargomax and others...

I had occasion last winter to be in a rental Sprinter, a later model. It was quiet, the only way I could tell it was a diesel is that it required diesel fuel. It definitely burned more fuel than my '05 did. I noticed that the glow-plug light turned off almost immediately after the key was turned, seems the newer engines don't require the glow-plugs to be lit for any length of time. So, you win some and lose some. Quiet running and fast winter starts against lower mpgs.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking hard at the retired u-haul single wheel 1 ton gm with a 10 foot box. Under 10k gvw. Around 110k on them and 6500 to 8000 asking price. Can buy a lot of gas with the cost savings over a new splinter.

Just wish the box was 12 feet to leave room for a nice sleeper or 3 skids.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking hard at the retired u-haul single wheel 1 ton gm with a 10 foot box. Under 10k gvw. Around 110k on them and 6500 to 8000 asking price. Can buy a lot of gas with the cost savings over a new splinter.

I think you should be able to find a 12'er. Its also my opinion that every inch inside a van is valuable.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
X 2 on the 12 ft. or bigger (sprinter) BUT you need to know what the company YOUR signing on WITH will accept and if they are currently HIRING . I started out almost 6 months ago with a 1 ton ext. chevy CV (PAID cash for ) and I;m very happy. My next move will be to a CUT-AWAY 12 ft.box when my company takes on new vans and I can PAY CASH for it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cableguymn wrote:

While you have to do what you feel is best for you, I wouldn't touch a 10 ft cube....as was said, there are used 12 ft'ers out there, you might have to travel a bit to get one, but over time, you will regret that short box....

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a 2010 extended Chevy. Nice van but the GMC is better equipted. I wanted the Cargo Max but they had trouble getting one set up how I wanted. Look at the Cargo Max/Ultra Max. Both are nice units and if you are going to live in it, they have the most room. The new Sprinters are nice but again weigh the expense of ownership with the overall performance and compare apples to apples. If the company you sign on with will give you 3 skids and pay you more for carrying more weight, then one of the Max's is a great choice. If your company only puts two skids on a van, then the Extended Chevy/Ford are fine but you won't be able to stand up and put your pants on. (unless you are way short) A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Don't get over your head where you can't touch the bottom. It's nice to have the bells and whistles, but not if you can not afford to eat or take a shower once you are on the road. Be smart. It's a business. One 20+ year pro told me that he never paid more than $9,000. for any of his vans and has always made a decent profit. $9000 sounds way better than $46,000 for a Sprinter.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Cableguymn wrote:

While you have to do what you feel is best for you, I wouldn't touch a 10 ft cube....as was said, there are used 12 ft'ers out there, you might have to travel a bit to get one, but over time, you will regret that short box....

I noticed penski has a bunch listed as 10k gvw but they are dual rear wheels. Most of those I have seen are 11k plus. I don't need/want a c unit or to deal with log books.

The company I am signed with is a last mile company. 99.9% of what we haul is from/to a local terminal or the airport to the drop less than 300 miles away. A place to sleep in the truck is for the .1% but I am also thinking down the road. If I go with a dual wheeled truck it won't fit between the wings of the smaller cargo planes I load and unload.

Unless your talking a 12 foot single wheeled van. However I can't think there is much payload capacity left in one that long.

I've though about a splinter however I can't sleep the short way in them comfortabily. I am just to tall. Plus most seem worn out or over my current budget for the truck.

I'll keep saving and see what comes up. As long as the 02 keeps going I am not pressed to get something.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I noticed penski has a bunch listed as 10k gvw but they are dual rear wheels. Most of those I have seen are 11k plus. I don't need/want a c unit or to deal with log books.

The company I am signed with is a last mile company. 99.9% of what we haul is from/to a local terminal or the airport to the drop less than 300 miles away. A place to sleep in the truck is for the .1% but I am also thinking down the road. If I go with a dual wheeled truck it won't fit between the wings of the smaller cargo planes I load and unload.

Unless your talking a 12 foot single wheeled van. However I can't think there is much payload capacity left in one that long.

I've though about a splinter however I can't sleep the short way in them comfortabily. I am just to tall. Plus most seem worn out or over my current budget for the truck.

I'll keep saving and see what comes up. As long as the 02 keeps going I am not pressed to get something.

if your making out ok now...run it till it drops...and Good Luck...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
A SRW Chevy / GMC will have a 64-6600 lb scale weight EMPTY...at 9900 lbs GVW..depending on how much your "stuff" weights, you will still have over 2500 -3000 lbs available for freight...

There are 12 ft SRW cubes out there and available..but as i said, you might have to travel to find one...but they are out there...they might not be yellow "penske" trucks, but they are available used...

Now, all of that being said, if you are for sure staying with your current carrier, and have no thought or desire to move on to OTR Expediting, then that certainly changes things..if a 10 ft'er works, and you simply "want" a newer van..go for it...we aren't running the way you do...so it that situation, your experiences don't work...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
A SRW Chevy / GMC will have a 64-6600 lb scale weight EMPTY...at 9900 lbs GVW..depending on how much your "stuff" weights, you will still have over 2500 -3000 lbs available for freight...

There are 12 ft SRW cubes out there and available..but as i said, you might have to travel to find one...but they are out there...they might not be yellow "penske" trucks, but they are available used...

Now, all of that being said, if you are for sure staying with your current carrier, and have no thought or desire to move on to OTR Expediting, then that certainly changes things..if a 10 ft'er works, and you simply "want" a newer van..go for it...we aren't running the way you do...so it that situation, your experiences don't work...

I located a few "yellow" ones in my price range with a 12ft box. One is near a friends home on the east coast who has agreed to go look at it for me.

While I do dash and back currently I did 5 years OTR in a 1996 E350 high-top. In the next year or two I'll be back to doing that again.

Since I own 2 half ton vans and one is 33 years old and I am already missing out on some work due to weight issues it's time to consider a new van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whilst you guys are watching the door sticker weights...I would also hope you are watching the "load range" on the tires....most 10 ply tires can not do the job..even the Michelins...