Looking into start expiditing

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been reading through the newbie area posts etc. Where would you suggest I start to get familiar with things? I know many have asked is there good money to bed made and from what I gather it just depends. It seems there are highs and lows as there is with any industry etc.
What do you mean, "Get Familiar with Things?". What THINGS do you want to get familiar with?
By 'reading' other's Posts, you are learning, getting Familiar.
Otherwise, like I suggested, write down ALL of your questions and make an Appt. To meet with a Recruiter of your Choice and any number of Expediting Companies.
If what the Recruiter says sounds doable to you...they may have a waiting list for available Fleet Owner's Trucks or perhaps not. So don't quit your Day Job.
If you want a steady paycheck, Expediting is not for you.
A Daily Local Delivery Truck type job, Class B may be something to check the Paper for...home every night.
Just a suggestion.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The oil and gas is slowing down and my paychecks have been getting smaller and smaller. Currently I've been off over a week when it used to be 2 and a half days and working 6 days at a time. And I've seen the straight trucks on the interstates that I drive on taking the frac crews home because they're going on their days off.
In Expediting you WILL have days when you are sitting Parked at a Truck Stop or Wallmart Lot...or a Coal Mine, or a Nuclear Power Plant, or Rest Areas where there's no reception. It's hit and miss, every day is a gamble, nothing is set or certain, Nothing. You go with the Flow. You are Ready to Take off NOW on a Load, not in say, 3 Hours. You'll accept a load occassionaly that doesn't pay well to get you closer to a Major City. You'll pay for Fuel or Gasoline out of your own Pocket sometimes.
Trying to give you a glimpse.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
"It Depends" Not every carrier is right for every contractor, I don't know that anybody can answer that question, I know who my top three carriers are after reading these forums for a few years, but a lot depends on how you want to run, your home location, type of vehicle, solo or team, etc. I have OTR experience in a straight truck running 48 and Canada for a private not for hire business BUT have never run expedited freight. It has taken me since about 2013 of reading here quite a lot and research to know exactly who I will go with when the time is right, for me anyway it hasn't been an overnight decision and it has changed a bit over time.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
So I see Bolt Express, Panther, XPO and FedEx Custom Critical on the roads I travel are these good companies to expedite for?

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Just yesterday driving down I-35 headed to South Texas I saw a Panther cargo van and then when I got to Cotulla, which is where my frac crew is I saw 2 more panther cargo vans a different times. I was able to talk to one of them. The gentleman said that panther was really busy right now and that he preferred the cargo van because no DOT. Is cargo van or straight truck better?

TDave

Expert Expediter
That kinda varies, I prefer to have some space so I like dring the straight trucks. But that's my personal preference.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Is hauling around a frac crew or conventional drilling crew better?
Well the company I drive for only hauls frac crews with Halliburton. So hauling drilling crews I couldn't tell you. But it starting to slow down and fast. We've had more drivers than crews to haul and so we were getting a week or more off at a time when we were getting 2 and a half days off and then going back on a 6 day hitch, but we get paid every week and so our paychecks are hurting pretty bad. That's why I'm looking into this as a back up and also its something more I can do with my cdl.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
An example where deadhead isn't offered to be paid: You get offered a 300 mile load for $2.00 a loaded mile, it is 300 miles away from your current location, so now you have to drive 600 miles to deliver the load, your all in miles rate just went to $1.00 per mile. What may have been a good deal may not be a good deal now with the deadhead miles added in. Of course if you have been sitting still a few days you might still take the deal, especially if the delivery puts you in an area with lots of potential load offers. Simple example but shows the effect of deadhead miles on your settlement check.

So if I understand correctly instead of getting $600 for 300 miles, I'm getting $300 for 300 miles because of the deadhead?

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
You asked "How do you get loads?" If you are currently 'In Service', meaning Available, a Load Dispatcher calls you up and offers you a Load, telling you all of the details of the load. What City and State it Picks up in and where it Delivers. Also, the Empty Miles (or DeadHead), Loaded Miles, How Many Pieces (skids aka wooden pallet with freight on it), the weight of the freight, the time you need to pick it up and the time it needs to be delivered, the Amount of Money the Expediting Company is Offering you.
I'm wondering if much of the written info is foreign to you and hard to understand what's even being talked about....should you perhaps call an Expediting Company's Recruiter and just say..."can you please tell me generally about expediting for someone who has a Class B Endorsement". But yours is for Passenger. Are you familiar with or have you ever driven a Tractor with double-clutching and high gears?

No I havent. It is foreign but I'm starting to grasp and understand.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
So if I understand correctly instead of getting $600 for 300 miles, I'm getting $300 for 300 miles because of the deadhead?
Sort of, it is actually worse than that, you just ran 600 miles for $1/mile instead of the offered 300 miles for $2 a mile. (Edited to add or 300 miles for $1, that would be 1/2 as painful!)

Last edited:
Reactions: TDave