Looking into start expiditing

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Yes Kim, My wife and I stay in Motels just to get out of the truck occasionally.
Most of the larger chain Truck Stops ie...TA, Petro, Pilot and Flying J have shower programs set up. When you buy 50 gallons or more you get a free shower. If you are running team 50 gal is good for 2 free showers. When you first start using these Truck Stops you ask them for one of their loyalty cards. TA and Petro will give you a Temp Card on the spot and then mail you your permanent one. Flying J and Pilot will give you your permanent one on the spot. You can use these at either chain immediately and start saving up your showers. If you do make the decision to drive Straight Truck you most likely will never have to pay for a shower.
In the Classified Section here on this site you can find Fleet Owners as well as Companies that will place you with Fleet Owners looking for drivers. You can look at pics of the trucks they have and find out how they actually break down the revenue the truck makes. In most instances you will be a contractor paying your own medical plan and your own taxes.
Depending on the Fleet Owner you team up with will determine how the revenue is split,
Usually but not always it will be a 60/40 split with the person who gets the larger split paying for fuel.
As far as the best Truck Stops, well that I guess is personal preference. My truck has a full size fridge and we stock up on groceries so we seldom eat in them. Panther has a fuel discount at TA's and Petro so that is where we usually always fuel and shower. Being a backwoods country boy I still haven't gotten used to the smell of urine cooking in pavement so we very, very seldom park for any period of time in the Truck Stops.
I hope this answers some of your questions.

Wow, are the truck stops that bad? I have a pilot rewards card right now because the frac crews I move want to stop there a lot.
How do you all keep your hrs? Do you use an app? And do you use the 70hr rule?

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
Not all truck stops are that bad. The ones that are closer to the inner city are the worst. I use Google maps to check my surroundings. I like to get out of my truck and walk. I'll do 4 to 5 miles per day. So I will drive a little extra to find a truck stop out of city limits. This can't always be done but I'd say 90% of the time I'm good.
Also the newer truck stops have RV parking. A Straight Truck is a good fit in the spots. It gets you away from the big lot where you'll find more of the unpleasant aroma from men urinating outside their trucks.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Do you any of you drive as much as you can and then stop and take your eight hour brake?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straight trucks, and tractor trailers - yes
Vans - no logs ( unless HazMat)

Last edited:

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
What do you use for your logs? And weigh stations how does that work? I've seen a sign for prepass?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is prepass something to invest in? And what kind of elog? Is it an app?
Invest in? There is a fee for it, and I think it is worth it. Saves time and fuel from stopping at weigh stations. I don't get the green light light to bypass ALL weigh stations, but most.
Google Elogs or Qualcomm or OmniTracs and check out some videos.
Not all carriers use elogs, some still use paper logs, for now.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is prepass something to invest in? And what kind of elog? Is it an app?
Check out their website. There is also a PrePass Plus that works for tolls(EZ Pass) and weigh stations.

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
I have to agree with Xiggi and Treadmill on the CDL for vans having nothing to do with Marketing but everything to do with Insurance cost. CDL means the driver falls under DOT regs which means drug testing, which means lower insurance cost because the drivers are subject to drug screening. Panther still doesn't haul placard hazmat in vans.

Reactions: Greg

CrazyWhite91

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Thanks for info. Sorry for being late on reply. I'm just waiting for the company to give me a call back. God Bless you all and stay safe out there!