Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a fun thread for a change.

teacher-emoticon-black-board.gif

:nothingtoadd:

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Do any of you driver for a fleet owner and are you able to take your truck home?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are fleet owners and yes most do let you take the truck home. Actually we prefer our drivers to be able to park the truck at home when they are off. We dont like them to be at a truckstop for a week unattended. Somewhere else close to the drivers home that isnt has busy is ok also.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do any of you driver for a fleet owner and are you able to take your truck home?
There isn't a lot of home time in expediting, especially if your driving for a fleet owner. They have made a significant investment in the asset entrusted to you and they aren't making money unless your hauling freight

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
We have found long tem airport parking to be a somewhat safe, secure and fairly inexpensive solution for leaving the truck (I didn't run expedited, but similar truck). Some are less expensive than others (Charlotte as an example, I think it is less than $50 a week IIRC). No idea what expedited fleet owners think of the airport parking, BUT the private carrier I drove for until I came off the road in May had no issues at all with it. Another option is dropping the truck at a shop for maintenance, they don't usually charge for parking :) You can be pretty creative with places to leave a straight truck when on home time if it is only going to be around a week.

Shelby

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
There isn't a lot of home time in expediting, especially if your driving for a fleet owner. They have made a significant investment in the asset entrusted to you and they aren't making money unless your hauling freight

Drivers have lives also. We give a full week off after 4 weeks out. Including the weekends, depending on when they get home, could be 8 or 9 !!!

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
I know you all probably dont. But I'm curious do any of you stay in like a motel 6 sometimes? Also what are the best truck stops to stop at and how much does it cost to get a shower at one?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of drivers will get a room now and then just to get out of the truck. It just isn't something you want to do to much or it will eat a whole in your profits.

Both ta/petro and Pilot/j have free shower programs with certain amounts of fuel purchasef.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Without fuel purchase, showers are $13 I believe, it has been some time since I paid cash for one.
Check the websites of the various truckstops for their program details.

CrazyWhite91

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I've been researching Expediting in a cargo van since I don't have a CDL. How come Panther told me I have to have a CDL? There are a couple of others who are looking for a fleet owner who needs a driver.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's simply something they believe limits their liability a little more. They haul the same freight as everyone else

BigCheese

Seasoned Expediter
I know you all probably dont. But I'm curious do any of you stay in like a motel 6 sometimes? Also what are the best truck stops to stop at and how much does it cost to get a shower at one?
Yes Kim, My wife and I stay in Motels just to get out of the truck occasionally.
Most of the larger chain Truck Stops ie...TA, Petro, Pilot and Flying J have shower programs set up. When you buy 50 gallons or more you get a free shower. If you are running team 50 gal is good for 2 free showers. When you first start using these Truck Stops you ask them for one of their loyalty cards. TA and Petro will give you a Temp Card on the spot and then mail you your permanent one. Flying J and Pilot will give you your permanent one on the spot. You can use these at either chain immediately and start saving up your showers. If you do make the decision to drive Straight Truck you most likely will never have to pay for a shower.
In the Classified Section here on this site you can find Fleet Owners as well as Companies that will place you with Fleet Owners looking for drivers. You can look at pics of the trucks they have and find out how they actually break down the revenue the truck makes. In most instances you will be a contractor paying your own medical plan and your own taxes.
Depending on the Fleet Owner you team up with will determine how the revenue is split,
Usually but not always it will be a 60/40 split with the person who gets the larger split paying for fuel.
As far as the best Truck Stops, well that I guess is personal preference. My truck has a full size fridge and we stock up on groceries so we seldom eat in them. Panther has a fuel discount at TA's and Petro so that is where we usually always fuel and shower. Being a backwoods country boy I still haven't gotten used to the smell of urine cooking in pavement so we very, very seldom park for any period of time in the Truck Stops.
I hope this answers some of your questions.

Reactions: TDave

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I've been researching Expediting in a cargo van since I don't have a CDL. How come Panther told me I have to have a CDL? There are a couple of others who are looking for a fleet owner who needs a driver.
Panther does hazmat, so cdl is required for that.
Also, having cdl drivers is a marketing advantage for them, as well as any carrier/broker that has them.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't believe panther hauls placard hazmat on vans si that is not a legal reason for a cdl. At least they did not haul it a few years ago.

Reactions: BigCheese

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of has to do with insurance. The insurance company they use may require it to get the lowest rate to charge their drivers.

Reactions: BigCheese