Looking for help

Mantia67

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 2013 Chevy ext cargo van. And I'm wanting to run 2 extra batteries off the charging system or solar panels. I would like to run a Television and small refrigerator constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Exactly what is it you need help with?
We do have a resident electrician here, if your more specific on your question I'm sure he will chime in.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How do i hook up the batteries to the charging system
The charging system from the vehicle?
I'm guessing it should come off the alternator into a switch, so you can isolate your starter battery's..
But wait, don't do anything on my say so,:D
Wait for someone with some better electrical knowledge then me..
Are you running any kind of generator? Do a google search for battery isolation switches.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
They have complete set ups for sale on amazon under marine battery chargers. They come with wiring, isolator, directions, etc. Also an inverter. Both can be installed by local mechanic if needed.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on how much you want to spend. The cheapest setup would be to run a wire off the back of the alternator to the house batteries with an on/off switch in the line. One problem with this is you must remember to turn the switch on and off as necessary. Also, depending on the type of starting battery and house batteries, the alternator my not supply the proper charge to the house batteries.

A battery isolator between the alternator and the house batteries will charge the house batteries and isolate them from the starting battery preventing the starting battery from draining down. Again, this setup may not give the proper charging profile for you house batteries.

Another option is a 12 volt to 12 volt marine charger. This charger is connected to the starting battery and will automatically and properly charge your house batteries. It also isolates the starting battery and house batteries.

I've done all 3 systems and find the 12V to 12V marine charger works best for me. I have a ProMariner charging two Full River 6 volt AGM batteries.
Pro Mariner Charger 2.png

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's an easy and inexpensive way to charge house batteries. One problem with that setup is it may not be supplying the house batteries with the proper charging profile. Cost-wise, if using cheaper batteries, it would probably work for a couple of years. In the past I've over charged batteries to the point I thought I was in a metal finishing plant, think acid smell. I've burned through alternators, average 90,000 miles.

My current van I'm running two rather expensive 6 volt AGM batteries. I want to make sure they are properly charged to ensure longevity, so I went with what I consider a proper charger. At this point in my expediting career I can afford to do it right. I guess it comes down to what you can afford and what your plans are for the long haul. At a little over 100,000 miles I'm satisfied with this setup. If it pukes tomorrow then its back to the drawing board and disregard this post.

Anyone want to buy a gently used Ford Transit?

Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who is the fine gentleman that said "batteries don't die, they are killed"?