Looking at box truck owner/operator career

naturalway

New Recruit
Researching
I am trying to decide which straight truck to purchase to be owner/ operator . I have my CDLB license. But am finding a lot of class 6 trucks for sale. Is there enough loads on the load boards in this weight range where getting a class 7 or higher is not worth trying to find? Look forward to the insight .

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am trying to decide which straight truck to purchase to be owner/ operator . I have my CDLB license. But am finding a lot of class 6 trucks for sale. Is there enough loads on the load boards in this weight range where getting a class 7 or higher is not worth trying to find? Look forward to the insight .
Do you have any experience operating a straight truck in the expedite field?

naturalway

New Recruit
Researching
I have local delivery experience. Used to be a contractor for RPS ( they were bought out by fedex years ago- same industry though) and 35 years in-state deliver via box truck. Looking for the best all around straight truck GVW for owner operator. Already know about all the registration needs. Zoning in on vehicle now

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have local delivery experience. Used to be a contractor for RPS ( they were bought out by fedex years ago- same industry though) and 35 years in-state deliver via box truck. Looking for the best all around straight truck GVW for owner operator. Already know about all the registration needs. Zoning in on vehicle now
Ragman is right......throwing yourself in the deep end doesn't make you a good swimmer in expedite. Drive for a fleet owner and learn the business before making such a big step.

naturalway

New Recruit
Researching
I realize that. Part of a good business plan is learning what the cost is and what kind of equipment you need. There are many aspects of getting into a business. I realize that. I’ve owned my corporation for over 25 years. I am looking into Possibly getting into this business.If anyone has an answer to my original question that would be very helpful thank you.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nah man. You got this.... You owned a corporation for over 25 years. There's not anything that any of us individuals who have decades of experience combined between us can tell you that is beneficial.

Go ahead, make your big purchase, and jump in feet first. :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
they are giving you good advice. there are low points and high points. right now everything has been turn up side down.
when you look at the price of straight truck with all right equipment to do the job or a van. then you find out that is not what you want to do. that will will be a lot of money invested . so work for someone who has a fleet and needs a driver and learn on his dime. then if you find out you don't like it you won't have a lot of money invested. but if you do like you will have idea what is required. if you drive for someone make sure you understand contract before you sign on dot line. think long and hard no matter what you do. this is not just a job it is a life style