Long Layover

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well been in Port Aransas, Texas since about 5 Jan, but, got'er loaded today and heading north tomorrow. Had to wash the beach sand outa a lot of things before we loaded up. I guess now that freight is moving, gotta hit the ball a bit.

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
Col, how did you ever afford to take a layover like that? Running that "cheap" freight again? By the way, what kind of load did you get heading out of Texas? Hauling a professional beach volleyball court??

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I feel it's a combination of things that allow me to lay over like that. Runn'in cheap freight, using equipment with marginal capacities, and, being a (80 percenter) when I am working. I think.
As far as my freight goes. If I told you I'd have to kill you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hey Roo, I been in Port Aransas, Texas for two months. Yes! Inservice?? Ja bump your head!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's lots worse places to stay awhile - I used to love walking down to the water's edge to see the dolphins swim through the channel. But the beach was a horror: looked like all the trash from the oil rigs washed up in Texas...I really shouldn't say that though - some of them were my friends, lol.:p

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well folks after getting started this year, I got from Port Aransas to Galveston and had to call dispatch and tell them that I had to shut down cause i got stuff in my eyes and it wasn't safe to continue. The lady dispatcher said I shouldnt stop because the freight was "hot", so, I assured her that i'd open the doors to let the freight cool off until I got the stuff outa my eyes. The "stuff" in my eyes (jess tween me and you) was about 2000 teeney weeney bikeenis at Galvaston Beach complements of the spring breakers. I', gonna try and get the stuff outa my eyes and continue tomorrow.Ya just can't let them dispatchers push you around, and, ya can't run with stuff in your eyes.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you go, DO NOT hold your hand up in the air, in the vicinity of seagulls, unless you're holding food for them, lol. My then- 4 yr old daughter noticed birds flocking around people holding their hands overhead, so she held hers up - we nearly got divebombed to death by gulls, angry cause our hands were empty!:D

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I know what you mean, Cherri!

When my granddaughter was 4, there was a bunch of sea gulls flying around the golf course behind our house. There was no one on the course because it was early spring and too cold and mushy. I grabbed an old loaf of bread that was starting to turn into Penicillin and said "Let's go feed the birds".

Pretty soon there was hundreds, looked like the "Birds" movie. She got excited and started chasing them making it even worse.

Next day my wife went outside to hang some laundry and all the birds came to our house! She came back in with the laundry and said "Thanks a lot, Dave".