LOGGING SPLIT BREAKS

SafetyRandy

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
Do you know how to log a split break? When does it benefit you to use it? Is it an effective way to run the most miles? Are there any GOOD videos on youtube or elsewhere that demonstrates how to properly log a split break?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every now and then I will use the split break provision, but I use the big road app on my tablet and let it figure it out for me. I don't know if using it will allow you to run more miles, but there are certain times it comes in handy to make that morning delivery that normally would not be able to log legally.....

Reactions: SWTexas1

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I thought split breaks weren't allowed anymore I have to get creative almost every delivery after a 7 hr drive and arrive at shipper who is closed sit for another 7 , crap out of time deliver and sit another 10 hrs!!! I call bs on that rule
If you sit for 8 hrs you still have 7 left . Slogs are really gonna mess this up for sure.
When my friend got audited they disallowed almost all his logs that showed him sleeping under 8 hrs and continuing his delivery , when you can't park at the receiver and have to be 20 mile from them cause your in the middle of bfe.

Reactions: neilblack

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have to come off for 8 hours. NO LESS. I used it the whole 2 weeks before Christmas. I don't run more miles but I get better use of my time when I split log.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Randy. I haven't found a good video for it. If you belong to OOIDA you can call them and someone there will explain it to you. If you want my knowledge of it let me know.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want to figure out how to do split sleeper berth download drivers daily log and use it. It does cost money but it will keep you out of trouble. That is if it still around.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
[----A----l----B----l----C----l----D----]

A is 5 hours driving.
B is 8 hours SLEEPER.
C is the remaining 6 hours driving.
D is 2 hours sleeper OR off duty

B has to be at least 8 hours, or else it counts against your 14. It essentially "stops the clock" for you.
Once C is completed, you've run out of driving time. Therefore, you have to get two hours rest (D). Although it still counts against your 14, D eliminates A from the equation (since you now have 10 hours rest), giving you an additional 5 hours driving. If you take another 8 hours break, then C would be eliminated.

Basically, whatever 8 hour + 2 hour breaks you take, eliminates the drive time before them. B+D gets rid of A, D+F (your next 8 hour break) gets rid of C, etc.

I can't imagine using this all the time, for regular OTR or expediting. However, it could be useful from time to time in those circumstances. I have used them to pick up some necessary time, when I ran out of my 14, but not my 11. Having multiple stops, and having to unload a trailer by hand, uses up the 14. It gives you a couple of hours of flexibility if you need it.

Last edited:

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you know how to log a split break? When does it benefit you to use it? Is it an effective way to run the most miles? Are there any GOOD videos on youtube or elsewhere that demonstrates how to properly log a split break?
are we talking about half hr. after driving 8 hrs.if so you cannot split that half hr.

SafetyRandy

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
Thanks for all the input. I have tractor trailer driving experience, and am currently in the safety department for an expedited trucking company, so I understand how to log a split break. The way the rules are worded make real life application awkward. I was just wondering if anybody had a simpler way of explaining it. JJ Kellers interpretation of the rules are probably the easiest to apply...rules 3 and 4 specifically.

1 -- One of the periods is at least 8 consecutive hours in a sleeper berth;

2 -- The remaining 2 hours (taken either before or after the 8-hour period) is spent either off duty, in a sleeper berth, or any combination of the two;

3 -- Driving time in the period immediately before and after each rest period, when added together, does not exceed 11 hours; and

4 -- Compliance with the 14-hour rule is calculated from the end of the first of the two qualifying rest periods.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I do it pretty often, because I started driving when it was the opposite, and you only stopped for 2 hours to stop the clock. I thought it was great for avoiding big city rush hour, having a proper meal and a rest instead, then returning to face the traffic feeling refreshed. It's not so helpful having to take eight hours first, [and drivers have been complaining about it since it began], but it's better than driving when you're tired, or frazzled, [like evening when the sun is straight in your eyes and traffic is crazy], IMO.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would question one thing about JJ Keller's interpretation: #2, where it says the 2 hours can be taken either before or after the 8 hours - to the best of my knowledge, the 8 hours must be taken first, no exceptions. I tried looking it up in the regs, but the way they're written [with exceptions galore to interrupt the flow] it's impossible to tell. But if we could do the 2 hours first, it would be the same as it was before, except for the additional [and asinine] mandatory 30 minute break.

tseders93

Active Expediter
Driver
I would question one thing about JJ Keller's interpretation: #2, where it says the 2 hours can be taken either before or after the 8 hours - to the best of my knowledge, the 8 hours must be taken first, no exceptions. I tried looking it up in the regs, but the way they're written [with exceptions galore to interrupt the flow] it's impossible to tell. But if we could do the 2 hours first, it would be the same as it was before, except for the additional [and asinine] mandatory 30 minute break.

Yes the two hours can be taken before the 8. However it does not stop the 14. You lose two hours of your 14 by taking the 2 hrs first