Locking the Truck

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Locking the truck for aload going out today and sending it out is fine. Locking the truck for a load that may or may not go 2 days away NO!!! IPP is not my problem.
Holding a truck for a certain load is WRONG! Sitting in a cue and drawing pay for a shift each day thats easy, sitting out here in the field no Pay isnt. Get my drift.
I say no to locks got the load then give it up. Locks make me think Im being loaded around. YUPP! Now that is why I say NO to Locks.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When they put a lock on you they should put a little info on you.
Like we have a load going out in two days, going near here, paying this. Are you interested in waiting for it ?
Often I'd say yes. I can be O/S to get an alignment, pm , or whatever and not be rushed.
If it's a load that isn't going to work for me then aren't they better knowing two days in advance ?
I personally don't mind locks, but I'm weird.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the questions are what compensation does a lock bring to a truck and what compensation does a lock cost a truck? Isn't a lock basically "we may or may not have a load with Acme Widgets but we're gambling we will and want to be sure to have a vehicle for it just in case"? And while the truck is locked there are loads from Smith Widgets, Jones Widgets and Doe Widgets that would have gone to the locked truck but go to someone else that would have been behind the locked truck otherwise.

Then a few hours later when Acme Widgets falls through and the lock is finally removed the other jobs are gone and it's two days until the next offer. So compensation wise a lock doesn't sound like the best option for a truck. It sounds like there's a greater chance of lost compensation than gained compensation.

Now, if full disclosure is made and the "lock" job is cross country 2712 miles for $5073 the truck may want to gamble two days and say put them on the lock rather than stay first in line and gamble on what's next.

So, what am I missing?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the few good things I see in truck locks is not having to be bothered by loads that we are going to turn down. Like the one the other day, "D" rate, short DH (under a hundred miles) 12,000lbs, paid $.87 per mile. Seen a reefer load that paid under a dollar the other day as well.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It seems to me the "Lock" scheme is everything for FECC to gain and nothing to lose. Some cash should be offered, and agreement by the contractor should be received, to participate.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The locks have there purpose but it would sure be beneficial to all of us if they let us know the lock was put on and for what reason.

The ability to make a business decision is taken out of hands when a dispatcher decides they know best, place the lock on us, load does not come through, they go home, and there we sit with a lock on us we knew nothing about.

Bottom line when a lock is placed on the truck the drivers needs to know why and the plan for the lock. That really seems pretty easy to accomplish.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I spent the night in a large metropolitan area. I delivered here last night and had a reload 20 miles away.
I had started scouting around for Walmarts and the one I knew does not allow trucks overnight.
Bingo, one mile prior to delivery I pass a large Fedex Frt facility.
I came in and got permission to park in view of the guard. We have a portapotty so we stay in the truck in these situations. Had a lovely sleep with the windows open. And we did not have to LOCK THE TRUCK.
These secured facilities may or may not help us with our 30 min breaks, but I know full usage will be a godsend with the stupid new reset rules. They will often put us close enough to our pick up to stay put until 05:00 the second morning.
All we need is easy access to these facilities and a set of rules. I don't care if we don't have access to the facilities as they don't want us roaming around. There is great potential here. The facility here has a pool table and popcorn machine in the breakroom. ( no, it's not Load One's Terminal)
I have been to others with showers, washer and driers, computers for the drivers area, and quite a few have hotel style ice machines.
I do not sleep in vacant lots,abandoned parking lots,etc. Opening up this asset would be a great assist to us that are self-contained.

This is more for the July 1st HOS Thread, but didn't want to put it in the general forum as it's more a Fedex issue.

Also , I'm not saying you will want to spend 34 hrs plus at a terminal. We have left our truck in a terminal and rented a car for the weekend.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
When we check in and choose whether or not we are available via c-link, we've "set" our status. Any changes made to that status should require that we be notified, we shouldn't have to keep checking our status on the c-link to see if someone has changed it. You're on the committee, Linda...fix it! LOL:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, Linda, fix it ! :)
Who else is on the committee ?
Does it do any good to leave suggestions/comments on the VRU ?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This has been a HOT TOPIC and had heated discussions.... Will bring up at the next meeting as it is very frustrating to all of us. It seems as if most have their QC set to shut off very quickly when parked and so do not even know when locked unless they call in. I agree we should not have to keep calling in to check on our status. I do not know on suggestions to the VRU have never heard that topic brought up.

I was not aware this was still happening so we will see what we can find out and I will bring this up again.