lock your doors and get out you guns

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>What I worry about is our truck getting broke into is when
>we both gather up our shower bags and take off for the truck
>stop. Everyone pretty much knows you are going to be inside
>for at least an hour. Anyone watching the truck knows that
>even if the curtains are shut there is no one there.

There is another way to do it. One team member stays with the truck as the other one goes in and gets a team shower (one shower, extra set of towels). When the one is done inside, he/she notifies the other in the truck, using a walkie talkie or cell phone. The second driver goes inside, the first driver lets him/her into the shower and returns immediately to the truck. The truck is unattended for only a few moments.

That's our usual routine. After fuel and showers, we usually leave the truck stop to find a quieter, cleaner and safer place to park.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
cheri I would only carry concealed in the states that I have a permit for, in all the other states the firearm would be in a locked case unloaded with the ammo stored in a different area. even when I carried in my 18 I found it to be a more trouble then what it is worth because I would have to stop at a stateline and put it away then get to the other side of the state and reload and reholster. So I just ended up keeping it my gun case and only taking it out to clean it or to go to a range or match. If you are in your truck PARKED it is okay to have it in your sleeper loaded "just like if you were in a rv" but do not go outside with it because then you can be caught for brandishing a firearm, unless you are in a state like VA. that allows open carry of firearms. I have found the best way to do it is keep it locked up all of the time unless I am in a bad area then it comes out "only after the truck is parked" but I do not leave the truck with it unless I can wear it concealed legally or the state allows open carry. Some may say what about high security customers?? well you will find most places that are high security "like nucular power plants" have a safe at the security desk, and you just tell them nicely that you have a firearm that needs to be checked in and they have no problem at all. they will lock it in a safe and give you a # card and on your way out you give them the card and they give you back your firearm.

p.s. if those who do not know open carry is allowed in most states "open carry is the firearm holstered in plain site for everyone to see" just like the police and cowboy's wear'em

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Lot's of good stuff here.
Alternative (to firearms) for personal defense, I have a boxcutter in the console, for cutting packaging of course, and a pocket knife in my pocket, less than 3" blade so it is legal in Canada.
As a former USPSA shooter I concur with everything 60mph said. I would like to carry a safety boxed handgun so I could hit some matches while travelling, but I go to Canada alot so it just isn't worth the hassle of "parking" it in the US. And I sure ain't risking Canadian federal prison.
I liked the suggestion about we expeditor's parking together and watching out for each other. I guess if there was a bad apple among us he would be outed soon enough.
Lastly, for Mr. Madsen, isn't taking the seperate showers taking some of the "togetherness" off the road?
;)
PS The dogs sounded like a good idea too, especially if you like dogs.
My question is, as a solo driver how many places would I be prevented from delivering to?
I know there are at least a few but I have been largely animal free so I haven't really kept score.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Isn't a sad statement on OUR civil rights, that we who have been background checked, and drive into some very dicey places, alone, at all hours, are not permitted to carry concealed?
What's the logic behind that? Let me guess: road rage, right?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Road rage has no bearing on CCW rules and regulations.

We were watching the news last night and there was an incident at a McDonald's parking lot in Riverside, OH. The road rage escalated into an all out brawl and two of six persons were stabbed. One was treated and released; the other was hospitalized.

If you take the time to look at the crime stats, you will quickly learn that only a miniscule number of road rage incidents invole the exchange of gunfire. The overwhelming majority of injuries are caused by vehicular accidents stemming from the road rage.

Would you have us not to drive our vehicles simply because some folks have an attitude problem? "You there, holster that truck!"

PS. I wonder what John Lennon would think today if he had been packing? I'll bet his lyrics would have been different.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No ##### below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Sorry John, you and many others have a Utopian mindset. Criminals will exploit that mindset.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I like the firearms stuff, but let's not forget the idea of hauling a gun around in a truck can open you to a few things, the first is getting the state DOT officer ripping your truck apart for drugs (because there is a gun, there is an assumption that there are drugs), the other is crossing into Michigan and getting pulled over and when you present your driver info, by law you have to declare the weapon and when you do, you have it confiscated because you do not have the 'right' to cross the state lines with it, or you end up in New Jersey and now committed a felony because they don't even recognizes New York's CCW.

I thought that there is something about federal laws and weapons.

My question is this, if I were wrong in my above statement, anyone want to prove me wrong and go to NJ with their glock to ask?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I went to the Flying J EStore and typed in "SAFETY"

This came up right below a Garmin GPS.

Now this is what I call a "SAFETY" device.

Imagine that...a company geared toward servicing the trucking industy and offering high-grade weapons on their website.

I looked for a copy of John Lennon's "Imagine" on CD, but alas, it was not available.

HD275_52_1.jpg

Citori GTS Grade I $2,210.00

Receiver

Steel

Silver Nitride Finish

Engraving of a game bird transforming into a clay target.

Barrel

Ventilated 10 mm rid

Solid side rib

Action

Single selective trigger

Hammer Ejectors

Top-tang barrel selector/safety

3'' chamber is ideal for field or range

Stock

Oil finish Grade II/III walnut

Pistol grip stock

Schnabel forearm

Features

Five Invector-Plus" choke tubes

Triple Trigger" System

Ivory front and mid-bead sights

ABS case included

prescat

Expert Expediter
Whitey, to answer your question,

I only had a few "dog" issues when I was a solo for a few years. Once I was at some chemical plant in the Midwest, and when I hit the gate, there was a "no dogs" sign. I was early, so I offered to to go lodge them quick, (I have a guide to such places and I always have their health records/certificates handy, (Canada rule too), but the security guard was a dog lover and she told me as long as I would keep them in the sleeper and they were quiet, there would be no problem, so I secured them and it was no problem. You can't do White Glove or Elite I've heard, but the trade off for me is that the dogs are part of my life and I'm happy with them. One other time, I had a scale guy, run up to my truck, jump up on the step, pull himself up by my mirror, and almost try to stick his head in the crack of the window looking in and nastily demand my log and permits. (almost like he was mad at my carrier at the time and couldn't wait for one of our trucks). He startled my dogs, and they charged at him face up at the closed window. He got startled and jumped off and back and then threatened to "go impound my dogs" I told this (civilian) idiot that my dogs were doing their job and he had no right to run up on me or my truck like that, and nobody was going to come inside my cab/home to impound my dogs. It was a little tense for 15 minutes and I got inspected, (and passed), and he checked every bit of paperwork, but it worked out. A State Trooper on routine patrol, had stopped in and when I told him what happened, he laughed and told me nobody likes the DOT guy...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We do the ATeam thingee, separate showers...and text "ready" some of them showers are real small anyhow and you know we spend so much time together in the truck the personal time in the shower is a nice change. Love is love but I contend Man and wife weren't meant to be together 24/7....and thats why we don't carry a gun either!*LOL*

ATeam

Retired Expediter
From the L.A. Times

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court set the stage Tuesday for a historic ruling on whether the fiercely debated 2nd Amendment protects the rights of Americans to keep handguns at home.

The justices said they would review an appeals court decision that struck down a 31-year-old ban on handguns in Washington, D.C. The case will be heard early next year and decided by next summer.

Full story

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...1,1,4804010.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

60MPH

Expert Expediter
greg I am sorry that is what you believe about dot and crossing into MI. with a firearm. You are correct about letting the officer know there is a firearm in the truck and if it is loaded,unloaded and if you are wearing it or not. not all state's require you to tell the officer but I found it alot easier and safer to tell them up front. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. The conversation goes like this - officer walks up to the window and says how are you doing- With both hands on the wheel I say I am fine and I just want to let you I have my gun in the truck it is unloaded and locked in a case in my sleeper. He may ask me to go get it and to leave it in the case. The most that has ever happened is they take it to there car and call in the serial number to see if it was reported stolen and they may do a warrent check on you. but if you are clean you have nothing to worry about. At the end of your roadside meeting with the officer he hands it back to you and you go on your way. Sometimes they don't even ask to see it, they figure if you are up front with them about it you have nothing to hide. Now about NJ. my VA. permit does not have resoprosity with NJ. so I can't carry concealed there, but just like every other non-convict I may transport a firearm in a locked case unloaded with the ammo stored in a different area out of the reach of the driver. Some people think that you can not cross a stateline with a firearm in a truck, well if you believe that then, I guess all the hunters and sport shooters that travel to different states are breaking the law, SHAME ON THEM. But I will say NYC. the state of IL. and WI. and D.C. are the most unfriendly to guns so becareful when traveling to or through those anti-gun area's. When I use to carry it in a big truck I would not ever pull it out of the case in these area's because they are way to tough on non-residents. In IL. you can't even buy ammo if you do not have that little card they give you from the courthouse..i.e.-- non-residents can't even think about buying ammo for any weapons in that anti-gun state. maybe someone will chime in that lives in IL. about all of there crazy gun laws.

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY