Load Opportunity

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Offered a great load today (12/26/09 - Picked up in Grand Haven MI, went to downstate IL. Picked up on the 29th and del. on Jan 4th. 440 total miles, 1800 lbs, paying 1100.00 B rate. Reply call came so quick I was sure the load was mine. Not to be. Was sure the quick calll back meant I had the run. Would have sat home which did not deliver until 1:00 A.M. - Sometimes I wish I didn't know about the runs I did not get!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have been where you are at and see that great load and immediately think of how great that load would work out for us.

We no longer get excited about a load till we get it and then when we get that awesome load that fits us perfect we are doubly thrilled... Kind of goofy but we no longer get upset at the load we almost had.

Another one will come along ...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is hard when you lose a good one. We just *sigh*, comment on how some other team in another truck is having a really great day, and wait on the next one. This system is what it is and I don't believe that there will be any big chances in the very near future.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I went to visit dispatch in the summer I got asked that question, do I want to know..

I said no. I told them there is no point in sending the run out to 15 trucks when chances are one of the first 2 or 3 will take it, all you do is trigger a lot of "we're sorry" callbacks and those get a bit depressing after a while.

I noticed it was better this fall, but it takes work on the dispatchers part to do it, as they may have to send out multiple offers instead of one larger offer for the load, they may not always have the luxury of time to do this though.

It was nice to get asked and several dispatchers peeked up to hear my answer. There is always hope!

aileron

Expert Expediter
Ha. I don't get excited even if I get the call 'you have been dispatched......blah blah' because I had so many loads cancel on me that is not even funny. Bad part is that I am on my way to pick the load, drive 20 miles, then I only get paid for 6, because that is what their computer shows. So, the only time I get excited is when the load is on my truck. Wait, that is not true either. One time I show up, load 2 skids on my van, leave the shipper, got out of the parking lot and they call me that the load canceled. Went back in, spent the next half hour unloading the stuff since it was hard to get to the second skid, and I didn't get paid squat.
So, I get excited when I am loaded and 10 miles away from the shipper.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The load opportunities is all about us and freight. As a customer who is in a bind I would like to know immediately if I had a truck or not. Without customers there will not be the beep of a load opportunity.

I know we as the truck like to we are most important but without customers we are an empty truck.

There are several things we like about load opportunities and one is we know freight is moving. The beep of the QC also lets us know we are not forgotten!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I get excited 10 minutes after the POD message. I like the opportunity system even if I don't get every one I say yes to. If I'm third in line for the offer and I'm the one who gets it I'm glad I didn't have to wait a half hour while the two ahead of me made up their minds. I'd rather have the maximum time available to me for the job.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Offered a great load today (12/26/09 - Picked up in Grand Haven MI, went to downstate IL. Picked up on the 29th and del. on Jan 4th. 440 total miles, 1800 lbs, paying 1100.00 B rate. Reply call came so quick I was sure the load was mine. Not to be. Was sure the quick calll back meant I had the run. Would have sat home which did not deliver until 1:00 A.M. - Sometimes I wish I didn't know about the runs I did not get!

I get excited on this rate!! since if was offered to me it would be $400 B rate!!. RIDICULUS! Or it's a FDCC prefer ed PARTNER! and I mean PREFERRED!!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm glad I didn't have to wait a half hour while the two ahead of me made up their minds. I'd rather have the maximum time available to me for the job.

Never thought of it that way Leo, good point!

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess the system is better than letting the drivers bid on the loads. Who knows how low some drivers would go.