Load Opportunities

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This past Monday, FedEx Custom Critical announced a test of a new method of communicating load offers and load opportunities commencing in mid-April. The new system will be tested with surface expedite loads in only one dispatch region, while the rest of the regions will continue with the current method of load offering.

As we travel around the country we may experience either the old or the new system so it's important that each of us be familiar with, and understand, the new method.

This new forum is an excellent place to discuss the impact or effect of this new method on our day-to-day operations. Any pro or con comments thus far?

I cannot do justice to the Load Opportunity system in this space so it's important to read the letter from the Operation Department before we discuss the details.

I would be pleased to e-mail a copy of the letter and its enclosures to any FedEx Custom Critical contractor that expects to be on the road a while longer. Send me a PM with your name, truck number and e-mail address. I'll get it out as soon as I can.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Found this place,thanks,but wander if anyone else knows about it.
I talked for an hour with Kathy,gave her all my dislikes,but as stated in other post,since reading letter,it looks like this is a good move.The biggest problem I see with it,'til I read the letter,the trucks that dont get the load will cry they are loaded around.but I see the new macro will take care of that,macro 33,dont think as a tractor,I will be involved with that to much,not usually many E units in my layover spots.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excuse me for butting into your forum...but just have to say that this change looks like a great way to speed up the dispatch process and get ya rollin to the customer. I always wondered aout having say 6 D units and each one is given 10 minutes. It would take almost an hour just to dispatch a truck.

M

Mcarriers

Sounds like a good plan, but will probably make some drivers mad seeing the loads that they didn't get. Looking forward to seeing these come across the clink.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is from the weekly email for those that do not recieve it on questions being asked about the new program:

System Details

Q) If all three trucks can make the pickup on time, will proximity to shipper be included in the formula to rank the trucks?

A) Just like today, that will be one of the factors we use in DVA ranking.

Q) If I am the only truck that can make the pickup on time, are you still going to send the load out to multiple trucks?

A) No. The load opportunity will only go to you in that case.

Q) If the highest ranked truck accepts the load before 10 minutes elapses, will it dispatched without waiting for the other trucks of lower DVA ranking?

A) Yes, as this allows for faster service to the customer.

Q) How is a second load opportunity going to be handled when it arrives before the allotted 10-minute response time has expired?

A) We’ll look at responses for the load opportunity that will expire the soonest. If you’re the truck with the highest DVA status to accept it, you’ll be dispatched on the load. Your response to the second load will be nullified and won’t count as accepting or declining the load.

Q) What happens if I don’t respond to the load opportunity?

A) It will count as you declining the load – the same as today.

Q) If I’m ranked lower in DVA but accept the load opportunity first, will I get the load?

A) Only if no one above you in DVA accepts it within the 10-minute timeframe. The load does not go to who accepts it the fastest; it goes to whoever is ranked highest in DVA and accepts it – just like today.

Using the Automated Phone Call

Q) How can I let you know if I want to be reached by C-Link or by phone?

A) It's easy; just do a bedcard check-in. You will be able to select “Y” or “N” for being on C-Link. If you select “Y” then load opportunities will be sent via C-Link. If you select “N” then load opportunities will be sent to the phone number listed in the primary field.

Q) Does the decline feature of the automated call include a selection of reasons I decline?

A) There is a field in which you can enter a reason on the C-Link. We don't currently have an option like this on the automated message though.

Q) Do you have to provide a phone number every time your C-Link is off or is it entered automatically?

A) You only need to provide it the first time. If you want to change it after that, however, you do have that option.

Q) Will the automated phone message stay on hold if I were to look over things for a few minutes while making a decision about the load opportunity?

A) After you hear the general information about the load, you'll be presented with a list of options on the call. Once you hear the words, "Press 1 to hear the payment detail", you'll have just under one minute before the call hangs up -- but only if you were to do absolutely nothing. You will also receive a notification that the call will hang up if you don't choose any options. However, the clock will reset if you choose to listen to the payment detail or to the general information again. So if you keep choosing those options, you'll stay on the call.

DVA Status

Q) What happens with the new system when you have less-than-75 status?

A) Less-than-75 status will work the same as it does today.

Q) If I decline a load opportunity does it drop me lower in DVA? If I accept a load but don’t receive it, am I raised higher in DVA?

A) No on both counts. The rules for DVA status remain exactly as they do today.

Q) Will I know my DVA rank at the time of dispatch?

A) Not at this time, but there is a possibility it could be included in the future. One key thing to understand about DVA rank is that it can change with each load. You can be No. 5 on one load, but due to specific shipment requirements you can be No. 1 on the next one.

Dispatchers’ Use of New System

Q) Since load opportunities will be sent to more people, won’t that interrupt me while I’m sleeping?

A) Sending load opportunities will be up to our dispatchers’ discretion. During the hours of the night when most people are sleeping, they will not send offers to as many people.

Q) How many trucks will each load offer be sent to?

A) There is no specific number; sometimes it'll be one, sometimes two, sometimes three and so on. Each shipment will be different.

Q) In what region will the new dispatch system be tested?

A) It’s Region 3, which includes the following:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Wisconsin
Illinois
Michigan
Indiana
Portions of Ohio
It also includes any load picking up in or delivering to Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
One question that has yet to be answered.

Q) Will any of the CIT or WG locked trucks, that are not at the top of the dwell queue, be offered a Load Opportunity on the first round?

Does any other FCC driver or O/O have an unanswered question?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I sent an Email to FCC about the WG lock and sounds like business as usual.

Right now, we're going to keep the same system we have in place now (i.e. calling WG dispatch to have the truck released from locking). This could change in the future, but we'll continue with this process for the time being.

rikd57

Seasoned Expediter
What does the new system do to our ability to negotiate in order to improve a sub-standard paying offer? Example: I would be interested in the load but would need $50.00 more to make it profitable.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Your sub-standard offer might be another driver's good load.

If you are on the QC you may give a reason for declining the load the same way we now refuse with macro message #12. Put a comment in the 'reasons' field and say "I need $50 more," or "I need $xxx.xx per mile." If no other driver accepts the load, and you have the best counteroffer, you may get the reoffer before the others. The dispatcher might also add $50 to the run pay and resend the offer to all trucks as before, if time permits.

If you are on the telephone you will have ten minutes to decide accept or decline. You may be "on hold," or negotiating while another driver is accepting.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I sent an Email to FCC about the WG lock and sounds like business as usual.

Right now, we're going to keep the same system we have in place now (i.e. calling WG dispatch to have the truck released from locking). This could change in the future, but we'll continue with this process for the time being.

Just wondering, why would you, being a non WG truck, be put on a WG lock? Could it be that maybe you are one of those rare non WG trucks that for all practical purposes are in WG, except for the official WG designation? I know you have all the WG equipment and a lift gate. Interesting thought, isn't it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Interesting thought, isn't it. Yes it is!
Many express trucks having WG equipment, clearances, liftgate and for many other reasons will be put on a WG lock.
With our dog on duty Molly though we will not be eligible for WG till the rules change.

Last edited: