Load board question

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Could anyone with knowledge on the subject please explain how the load boards that carriers use operate. Why do some carriers get more per mile when there are 6 different trucks at the J all competing for same freight ? Is NLM freight always less and what is NLM anyhow ? Do all of the carriers see the same freight ? Kind of perplexis me when I'm talking to a competiter driver and they get a call for a run and I'm left in the dark. When it happens once you think oh well. Twice - kinda raises your eye brows a bit . 3rd time and its time to open the ole lap top and ask the experts on this site.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
NLM stands for national logistics management, they have contracts with all of the automotive companys. These auto companys have a load and call NLM then NLM puts it on their load board for the carriers to bid on. (CUT THROATING) lowest bid gets the load.

And I've always said the N stands for NIGHTMARE!

Hope that helped,
Fr8 Shaker

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
NLM works on a point system. The cheapest rate doesn't always mean you recieve a load. But it is lower rates as mentioned because of the intense competition. Unless your carrier has some of its own accounts, it comes down again to competition. If a competitor moved, it is likely they offered to do the run for less money.
There are numerous boards that they all look at, and some they don't. Usually the best loads never make it to a board.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll take a stab at this. NLM is a 3PL or third party logistics company. A shipper will call NLM and then they do the rest as far as contacting carriers, billing, POD etc. My limited experience with them is that their pay rate is toward the lower end. You could have 6 carriers all getting paid the same rate from NLM but in turn those 6 carriers could be paying their O/O 6 different rates.

As for a competitor getting a load ahead of you from NLM, each carrier is ranked on some esoteric scale taking into account on-time performance, tire size and wind chill factor. How they deal out the loads is anybody's guess.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Do all carriers use NLM at certain times? Are there carriers that almost never use NLM and get premium freight most of the time ? I guess I see where carriers advertise at a certain rate then you hear that the drivers only get offered cheap rates.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are correct. Not all expedite companies use NLM. The cheaper rates are a direct result of competition.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
>
tire size and wind chill
>factor. How they deal out the loads is anybody's guess.

Thats funny....Tire size and wind chill factor! pretty well true though.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>Could anyone with knowledge on the subject please explain
>how the load boards that carriers use operate. Why do some
>carriers get more per mile when there are 6 different trucks
>at the J all competing for same freight ? Is NLM freight
>always less and what is NLM anyhow ? Do all of the carriers
>see the same freight ? Kind of perplexis me when I'm talking
>to a competiter driver and they get a call for a run and I'm
>left in the dark. When it happens once you think oh well.
>Twice - kinda raises your eye brows a bit . 3rd time and its
>time to open the ole lap top and ask the experts on this
>site.
have you ever had a conversation with a fisherman,2nd liar never has a chance,now the same goes for truck drivers in the truck stops
the load boards show available freight,the prices on most are not there,you have to call in.
now you tallk to someone that tells you they took a load you might have called on,and brags what he is hauling it for,and this fee is probably without the broker fees taken out,or his company fees taken,mean while,your company has offered this same load to you with all the fees taken out
what was mentioned by davekc was exactly right about klm,but usually their rates are standard,they put load on internet,with price,your company calls,if their point structure is higher than the other companies bidding,you will get load,but it will be offered at the same price to all the companies

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>Do all carriers use NLM at certain times? Are there carriers
>that almost never use NLM and get premium freight most of
>the time ? I guess I see where carriers advertise at a
>certain rate then you hear that the drivers only get offered
>cheap rates.

all the o/o's get a percentage of tariff,some get a better percent,than others,this is why o/o's pays vary
most of the auto parts carriers use NLM.
Now if a company hauls the freight direct for the shipper or receiver,NLM,the middle man, is cut out,and the pay will go up