Living In The Philippines

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I arrived here on 04/08/2011.

The internet from the apartment is a little slow at times.

So please bear with me as I post.

Stayed two days at Deep Forest Inn upon arrival.

Then a few days at the apartment before going to El Nido.

Wow! What a wild ride. 12 people in a Nissan minivan. 6 hours.

Of course, the luggage had to go on the roof which makes the center of gravity more interesting. Very few guardrails and there is no "Right-Of-Way". Here it is "Right-Of-Size".

Saw a few 6 wheelers on the way up, one 10 wheeler and one day cab tractor trailer.

Oh, and minivans, buses and jeepneys pack them so full, folks ride on the top with rice, chickens, furniture, etc. Crazy man.

20 miles of the trip was on a gravel road and the driver was going 50-60mph in places. Sort of like dirt track racing as we slide through the turns.

It was worth the trip because El Nido has some of the best coral reefs in the world. The water is so clear that you can see down into it for 40 feet. Had a boat trip that lasted all day and in typical Filipino fashion I noticed the logo said, "Max Capacity 6 Persons". We had 11 people on board.

Really cool that all the minivans I have been in or around are diesels and manual transmissions.

There is a shipping company right across the street from the apartment so hopefully I can talk with them someday about their business.

Miss you all!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I arrived here on 04/08/2011.

The internet from the apartment is a little slow at times.

So please bear with me as I post.

Stayed two days at Deep Forest Inn upon arrival.

Then a few days at the apartment before going to El Nido.

Wow! What a wild ride. 12 people in a Nissan minivan. 6 hours.

Of course, the luggage had to go on the roof which makes the center of gravity more interesting. Very few guardrails and there is no "Right-Of-Way". Here it is "Right-Of-Size".

Saw a few 6 wheelers on the way up, one 10 wheeler and one day cab tractor trailer.

Oh, and minivans, buses and jeepneys pack them so full, folks ride on the top with rice, chickens, furniture, etc. Crazy man.

20 miles of the trip was on a gravel road and the driver was going 50-60mph in places. Sort of like dirt track racing as we slide through the turns.

It was worth the trip because El Nido has some of the best coral reefs in the world. The water is so clear that you can see down into it for 40 feet. Had a boat trip that lasted all day and in typical Filipino fashion I noticed the logo said, "Max Capacity 6 Persons". We had 11 people on board.

Really cool that all the minivans I have been in or around are diesels and manual transmissions.

There is a shipping company right across the street from the apartment so hopefully I can talk with them someday about their business.

Miss you all!

was in the PI many times in the late 60s and loved it. Seems things have not changed much , lol. I remember it like yesterday. U can live nicely on 1000 dollars a month which as u know equals about 40,000 pecos. I remember the clear water and nice weather, maybe I should go back asap.

moose

Veteran Expediter
we can't help it,
true Expediters can never really enjoy a vacations in other country's .
if there's a van or a truck around ,we will always be distracted ,and wonder of the load capacity, center of gravity, and if that transmission will work for us.
we don't care if it is the Pope himself driving it, that car can work in expedite. and we calculate the expected fuel millage .
if we take a shuttle service to a french museum, or to the opera, we will call in back home exited about ...the van.
we can't help it.