List of goods to take on the road

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I remember seeing a discussion on here awhile back regarding necessities to take with you on the road but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. I checked the FAQs and tried a few search terms to no avail. I've had a few people ask me about this and while it differs between truck sizes and individual preference I'm sure that there are some core goods that one shouldn't be without. Does anyone know where I can find that forum thread or if anyone has a good list handy can they post it?

Thanks!

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Sleeper . . . pillows and bedding. Memory Foam mattress. Teddy Bear.
Clothing. Towels are supplied at the truck stops showers. You may want a large towel. Flip-flops for shower and all bathroom needs in a easy to store bag.
Are you going to cook in your truck, crockpot. Is there a fridge, food.
Seat cushions - good ones. We buy our at WalMart in the housewares department for like kitchen chairs.
Polarized brown-tint sun glasses.
Laptop w/air card and printer scanner for sending info to office.
Digital camera. We had a hit-n-run and took a photo of the car for the police.
Entertainment for layovers.
Cleaning supplies (tax write-off). Windex wipes are great.
We use toilet mats around our chairs and have a rug in the sleeper this way we can just shake them out instead of hassling with the vaccumm at the truck wash. If they get too dirty they cost $5 we just buy new.
Good GPS w/truck routes.
Sirius or XM Radio.
Filing pocket w/12 month devides for your BOLs and Run Info. Empty envelopes, receipts, tax crap, etc.
CB just so you can know what lane to be in if traffic backs up or call police on Channel 9.
Toolbox.
We also keep 2 folding chairs, BBQ grill, fishing poles and a metal detector. Whatever floats your boat.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Truck stop book
Motor Carriers Road Atlas
Ipod - to down load books great to listen to when driving
books -

Do not forget to bring your enjoyment of life and your sense of wonder. Everyday is a new adventure out here.

One thing many new people forget is that you are not going out to the wilderness you do not have to pack everything including the kitchen sink. You can still stop at stores while on the road!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
reflective vest, flashlight or headlamp
wasp spray
tire guage
csa2010 requires fuses, light bulbs
2 pairs of shoes
sturdy trash can and bags, paper towels, ziplock bags
several inkpens, white out, ruler
hairbrush and razor
windex
air freshener

no inverter? AC/DC crock pot, hot water pot, coffee maker, cooler:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mark: good to have a copy of the FMCSA regs handy, so you know what is and isn't required of you.
Oh, and a pr of safety glasses, for the docks that require them.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
Mark:
Oh, and a pr of safety glasses, for the docks that require them.

Also along the safety line; leather gloves, deposable ear plugs, hard hat, hard toe over shoes, and safety vest. I have all of these required at one time or another going into plants. Jerry Lee

Brubet

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all, for that information. We are just getting started and wondered what we might need to get underway. The first thing we bought was a rice cooker, since going to the Expo and hearing everyone talk about how great it was. I will also take a small crock pot that we already have, and a few trays ~ for "cooking on the bed." :) Thanks again for the list.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the help! I'm definitely packing my own steel toes and hard had now. I've delivered to some factories that had some pretty foul loaners.
I've just bought a new Android phone through Verizon and this eliminated my need for an air card and satellite radio! It can do both. I've been using Pandora radio on it and an application that lets me use it as a modem. Pretty good speeds too.

Also, I'm in a cargo van and the "factory" jack is pathetic so I found a heavier duty wheeled model to take along that isn't terribly heavy or large.

What sunglasses have you had the best luck with out there?

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
What sunglasses have you had the best luck with out there?

Polarized Brown Tinted. They are incredible. You can see past the glare of a wet road. You can see past the spray coming off of the truck in front of you. Greens look brighter. You can almost drive with them at night to help with the lights of oncoming traffic. But, I wouldn't advise it. The sun could be shining directly in your eyes and you could still drive. Someone else I remember liked Raybans. Whatever you choose, don't skimp on the price of a good pr of sunglasses. It is well worth the cost and it is considered a tax deduction.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
Polarized Brown Tinted. They are incredible. You can see past the glare of a wet road. You can see past the spray coming off of the truck in front of you. Greens look brighter. You can almost drive with them at night to help with the lights of oncoming traffic. But, I wouldn't advise it. The sun could be shining directly in your eyes and you could still drive. Someone else I remember liked Raybans. Whatever you choose, don't skimp on the price of a good pr of sunglasses. It is well worth the cost and it is considered a tax deduction.

Also make sure they have a coating to block out UV rays. Most good brands are coated. Jerry Lee

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a fan of Rayban as well. I've been wearing them for years. The key is the quality of the lens that you get in the higher end glasses. They're far superior to what you get in the cheap glasses. Years ago I was making fun of one of my golfing buddies for spending $50 on Raybans. We were on a green reading our putts and he gave them to me to try. The difference was remarkable. I bought a pair the next day and have never worn cheapies since.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm a fan of Rayban as well. I've been wearing them for years. The key is the quality of the lens that you get in the higher end glasses. They're far superior to what you get in the cheap glasses. Years ago I was making fun of one of my golfing buddies for spending $50 on Raybans. We were on a green reading our putts and he gave them to me to try. The difference was remarkable. I bought a pair the next day and have never worn cheapies since.

If I can hardly make out the instruments on the dash, then they are the rite darkness for me, my eyes are really sensitive to sunlight, thats what the eye doctor told me years ago. I used to buy welding dark glasses that looked like everyday sunglasses and did a great job, I use them now at the beach only, they were a little to dark for driving.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I think I am the one that likes Raybans, they start at around 70 and go up from there:eek: I like the ones with the glass lenses since I am hard on my sunglasses. Rayban will also repair replace your broken glasses, They have never charged me more than just the shipping handling. Brown tint are good it makes the colors like green pop a bit more but leaves everything mostly looking normal, I can't stand the amber tint!!!
if you have AAA membership Lenscrafters has a pretty good discount!!!