lift gates

R

riverrat

does anyone know who makes the largest fold under liftgate for a straight truck, mine is a maxum and extends out to 5 ft. but there is a customer that wants a larger one and an internet search is not getting me the info i am looking for

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know how large they offer but MBB Interlift is a good line that isn't always thought of when looking at liftgates. I'm pretty sure they have a website.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure how much over 5 feet you are trying to go? Would you be better with a rail gate?

R

riverrat

Not sure how much over 5 feet you are trying to go? Would you be better with a rail gate?
It needs to be a fold under there isn't enough work with this customer to dedicate a truck to it so I will need to be able to haul

non liftgate loads also so I want it to fold out of the way.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I've researched about all the different brands, including a European manufacturer and as near as I can tell no one makes a tuckaway much more than a few inches more than 5 feet. If you want more than that you'll need to get a slider, cantilever or rail gate. Of those the slider is the only one that will remain totally out of the way until needed, but a rail gate just needs to be lowered without deploying it to gain access to the truck and then raised up again. The also have the largest platforms, up to 86" deep.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
If you put a rail gate on the back of the truck when you let it down that would block the hook they use at the docks would.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe the problem is the rail gate must go to the ground to access the cargo box. The dock lock would stop it about 8-10 inches above the ground thereby blocking entry to the cargo box. That would prevent you from working many dock doors.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My truck at work has a Waltco lift. It works well and is aluminum so it is light weight. Plus it is huge. It folds in half. We move pallets of paper with it. It is nearly flat to the ground unlike the smaller steel gates that have the lip. It folds under the truck and we are able to back into docks with load locks, you just can't lock the truck in.
Some of the penske rental trucks have this lift, if you want to see it in person

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Leyman makes a slide under gate that may interest you. Interlift makes one that is just great. I'd give you that web site but the stupid thing crashes my computer when I open the product page.

Diane and I have used Interlift gates on fleet owner trucks. We did not put one on our truck because with two drive axles and an under-body reefer, there was not room. We have never used a better gate. The surface are is huge! They can be mounted on straight trucks. They are sometimes seen on the back of moving van trailers. Great gate! If there was room for one on our truck, we would have it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...more better period.

Cool software. I asked you some questions about it on the Tech Forum.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
There was a interlift 4 sale in st paul ebay under lift gate and liftgate, all categories. Somewhere around a couple grand, if i remember. You must be talkind Reno loads...lol.

tbmoyer4

Seasoned Expediter
My name is Tom and I am with Waltco Liftgates. The deepest we make is 62" deep x 80" wide. 3000 and 4000 lb capacity. Info can be found at www.waltco.com, or you can call me direct at 1-888-343-4550. Good luck in the search...

R

riverrat

thanks all for the replies, after talking with the company involved I designed a custom dolly that would work with my gate and the company added a few improvements and are fabricating it at the moment, thay are happy I am happy so life goes on.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Good for you. I searched a long time for my 80 x 56 Maxon. If there was anything considerably bigger, I would have put it on my truck.