Lift Gate Weight Capacity

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at a used lift gate but am afraid it is a little short on weight capacity. What do you all consider the minimum acceptable to be and what do you have?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only important question is what does your company say is the weight requirement. Personally, I have a 3500 capacity with a large platform.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a 3500lb Innerlift gate with a large platform that we are very happy with.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OMG, what do you lift with 3500 lb capacity?

I have a 2500 lb capacity lift gate and when I get the hydraulics straight to my satifiaction I think a 3000 lb capacity will be the limit.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would go with 2500. You don't want to screw around with a 3,000-3500 pound piece of equipment on a lift gate. It is too easy to get hurt and when you report in that you have ben injured, what you will hear is "call us when you are back in service".

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I think the size of the platform is much more important than the weight it can lift.

A small platform is an invitation for an insurance claim!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine will never be used for anything over 2500 pounds but if/when I do have a 2500 pound piece I won't be using a gate working at max capacity now or on any other truck I'll ever own. It doesn't cost that much more to get the one with a significant reserve capacity and works it much less hard. The comment about larger platforms reducing risks is a seriously important statement to consider.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Welllll if you are talking Lift Gates and lift gates only, platform size does matter. Can't be to big. The weight part of it does not matter so much to me within reason(as long as it does not go over the max capacity of the equipment), 2500 lbs move as well as 3500 lbs. to me it is more about the size, and shape. Also weather it is top heavey or not.

At EGL I did a load a couple of times a month that was a L/G that was a nightmare, the worst piece was about 90 inches long by 30 inches wide and around 90inches high. 1800lbs and top heavey as can be.

Give me 3500 lbs in a 4x4 skid any day.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also do not want to lift 3500lbs but like Leo said it did not cost that much more. We have moved barrels though and we put several on the gate. Ours gate is self leveling with the protective flap that really helps secure the load. Our gate is also large enough to handle the bigger pallets and move them around easily and the foot controls are the best so you can keep both hands on what you are moving.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I found a 2000 lb one with a decent size platform. A pallet would fit on it easily. I was going to pass on it for a couple of reasons. I talked to a friend who has been with Landstar for years and he said he did FEMA work and the water and canned goods was always around 2800 lbs. Also, this one would possibly put me over on weight and bump me from a D to a C unit. If I'm going to get bumped down I don't want the gate to be insufficient. The deal is I can buy the darn thing for $500 and install is free (my uncle is a lifetime welder).

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are some over 2000 when on FEMA duty. You also want as large a platform as you can get. It makes a world of difference having extra room vs. 'enough' room. It's no bargain and not worth what it cost if they pay you to take it away if it isn't adequate for what you need.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. I was just hoping someone would disagree with me because of the price but, like you said, its no bargain if it doesn't generate revenue and isn't safe to use.