Lift Gate Corrosion

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We recently went through a Blue Beacon for a truck wash and decided to have them clean the lift gate while we were there. Our lift gate would not come down. In fact, it would not budge! My solution was to go purchase a sledge hammer but my husband is not a big fan of "sledge hammer solutions." We took the truck to an authorized lift gate dealer and discovered that corrosion was the problem. Three of the connection wires were completely corroded.

Remember a while back someone posted about the chemicals being used on the highways for ice and snow? This is an example of what these chemicals can do. You might keep this in mind if you have any problems. Before you replace or repair something on the truck, have the mechanic thoroughly check the connections. In our case, these connections were in an area where we could not see the damage.

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My first question is where is the hydraulic unit located?

If, like my lift gate, the motor sits between the frame, it is exposed to all kinds of cr*p from the road and actually contrary to popular opinion is the worst place it could be.

Normally the cables that they use have plain crimped connectors that may have some heat shrink on them with (rare) a sealant and the exposed wire ends will get corroded quickly.

The best solution is to replace the connectors and seal them with in the end with a bit of silicone sealant and wrap the connector with fusion electrical tape like Scotch #23 tape or 3M temflex fusion tape (if I feel up to the hassle, I use heat shrink on all of it to ensure nothing comes apart).

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would run my l/g up and down at least once a week. I also had a grease gun that I used to lube the l/g fittings as most of the time they would not get greased by a Speedco or T/stop ASCE guy

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I would run my l/g up and down at least once a week. I also had a grease gun that I used to lube the l/g fittings as most of the time they would not get greased by a Speedco or T/stop ASCE guy

Regular maintenance program is a great way to eliminate problems

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Post India and with the winter we have had we all need this reminder. We have had a similar problem and like you we found our problem before we were at a customers location.