life expectency of a cargo van

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious as to what others have expierienced as far as the average life span of thier vans. The reason that I am asking is I have a 2008 chvy 2500 with the smaller v8, have had it about a month and a half and have put about 14,000 miles on it so far. if I kept up this pace I will be at over 300,000 in just 2 1/2 years, now I could be wrong but wouldnt a new engine and many other major things be needed at this point making the vans life virtually over? and that frightens me. I realize that one of the big factors here are the amount of DH miles that I run, and shouldnt. But it seems that in oder to stay busy thats what I have to do.
Please understand that this thread is not about DH miles but what lifespan on vans that others have expierienced. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With proper care, you can expect many hundreds of thousands of miles. It'll just be getting broken in at 300k.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
miker..i ran a gasser same one for around 5yrs and its retired and STILL runs well....over 700,000 miles on a 318...

I can't stress enough...PM,PM,PM,PM be one with your van it's your life a part of you....I don't know how mechanically inclines you are...so....

Oil Changes....do them religiously!
Tranny and rear end.....same thing.
I used to do a circle check of my own....
get into the habit after a long run or during, walk around and put your hand over the wheel hubs...excessive heat could be a sign of a sticking caliper or wheel bearings needed to be repacked...
Bottom rad hose...change it after about 200,000! A quality one at that,,no cheap crap there. If it blows it's hook time at least a top hose you can still run...
When its up in the air check your front end for looseness...any looseness...always. And again...don't use cheap parts....they are usually inferior thats why they are cheap.

Theres more but I think you get the drift..PM-PM-PM...

Good Luck....Ken...aka OVM

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 315,000 on a Chevy 3500 6.0. Aside from scheduled maintenance and tires I have replaced two wheel bearing assemblies and the alternator. Still running the original brake pads.

Like Highway Star said: It'll just be getting broken in at 300k.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Like everyone says do the maintenance and it could last well over 300,000 miles. My last one had 500,000 when I sold it and was still running. Yes to an alternator, fuel pump and only ball joints in the front end. No engine rebuid or transmission rebuild only oil changes and filter changes. i did not follow the mfr recommended change times but my own schedule for the type of driving i was doing. Even had the wheel bearings removed every time the brake rotors came off and redone with fresh grease. no new wheel bearings either.
Rob

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
As you are aware of the great number of miles you are putting on this truck you definitely do not want to idle the engine.

I have talked with many drivers who do not comprehend the wear factor when idling for 8 hours, or more, while sleeping or just sitting in the van on a hot/cold day.

Maintenance yes....

Idling never....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
you might want to check the epediter profiles for the `my million mile van' thread. it is pm heavy.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
would "pm" be periodic maintenence? I have read the million mile van thread but wasnt sure if that was just a case of good luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
would "pm" be periodic maintenence? I have read the million mile van thread but wasnt sure if that was just a case of good luck.

PREVENTATIVE...maintenence

A lot of costly breakdowns can be avoided by catching the part when it's alittle lose instead of broken...