lets have some fun

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
It's the week end,your sitting around,so here's the idea.
You have just become the CEO of a brand new expedite company,company is called
YouWantItWhen Expedite Services,Now,stop thinking as a driver,but think as the CEO of this company, Your pay is based on performance of your owner operators,and making money for the company.It's going to be a 1000 truck fleet,with 700 straight trucks,200 tractors,100 vans.One dispatcher for every 25 units,thats 40 by the way,and another 40 customer service agents.The country will be split into 4 sections,and 1 supervisor for each section.

Go to work,you have til Sunday night to get rich or go broke,after you accept this mission.This tape will distruct in 30 seconds,have fun.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I will pass, just want to be with the Best Quarter of the Country and Bring with this part of the Country the Best Dispatcher as his pay should only be based on our (my) performance so all those so called wana work but forget how to stay home.

Just wana drive the Truck.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
For sale
$0000.0000 Freeeeeeeeeeeeeee
EXPEDIT Company Just come get the Keys.
PS. Free Tractor and Trailer as well for taking over the Business.

Last edited:

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Its to Big, 1,000 trucks, HOLY COW, now maybee 50 I work with that. But 1K way beyond anything I have ever considered.

Heck when I was a kid, just keeping up with two lawns a day 12 for the week was tiring enough let alone 1,000 little ole ladies wanting me to weed the flower bed, now you can see why I never got to a thousand. No ILLEGAL help, just me, I, the only one.

Guess I never gave up on that idea of selfemployment just me, I number one. What else can I say. At least I am doing what I want calling my own shots, now I just gotta figure out how to actually keep enough after expenses.

Good luck on this one Steve, hmmm Truck Drivers thinking BIG real BIG, ? Too complicated for me.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Steves Post re: 1,000 trucks just brought up a memory.

I once heard that the richest you will ever be is when you are 18, before you are given a credit card and any debt. Probably the day before you turn 18.l

Now think back, are you actually Richer today than when you were 17 driving a 8 year old paid for car with no care in the world, except did Kathy like me and coud we buy any beer this weekend?

I had more $ in my pocket in H.S. than I do today. Did you? (by earning it, not be selling something illegal). And I never ever sold anything illegal back then either.

Sad fact but once heard that the Average Person "average" had more $ to his name at 18 than he does at 67 due to debt.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Steves Post re: 1,000 trucks just brought up a memory.

I once heard that the richest you will ever be is when you are 18, before you are given a credit card and any debt. Probably the day before you turn 18.l

Now think back, are you actually Richer today than when you were 17 driving a 8 year old paid for car with no care in the world, except did Kathy like me and coud we buy any beer this weekend?

I had more $ in my pocket in H.S. than I do today. Did you? (by earning it, not be selling something illegal). And I never ever sold anything illegal back then either.

Sad fact but once heard that the Average Person "average" had more $ to his name at 18 than he does at 67 due to debt.
well if you subtract my debt from my money,yes I had more when I was 17,18 even 16,but first,the dollar was worth more then,dont want to say i was born with silver spoon,but i use to get an allowance that kept me in gas money,'til graduating high school,got new car for graduation,and 10 bucks a week to keep it in gas,eats and bar money.Hello game of 9 ball,good bye college

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
First of all you have too many dispatchers. So to cut back you would need to use some technology to see who is working and who is screwing around. This technology exhist and iisn't expensive to implement. The easiest way to track employees is with phone bill monitoring. Efficient dispatchers who turn phone calls and move loads get pay increases, but the bottom third in productivity get pink slips. Also I think the customer service unit has to many employees also, push productivity.

Review the customer base - rank customers by dollar value per mile dispatched.
This will give you three ranks of customers.
A - High profit low maintenance customers - court these customers with better service and personal attention

B- Regular Profit, average maintenance customers - study these customers to find out why they are higher maintenance and fix it. Then slowly increase there rates, trying to move them into the A group.
C- Lower Profit, High Maintenance Customers, immediately raise there rates to at least "B" levels customers who are such a pain have the highest rates on the card.

Your lowest profit highest complaint customers should be reviewed to find out if WE are the problem or if they are. The customers who are more trouble than they are worth, we refer to our competitors.

This assumes that you don't want to be the bottom feeder in the expedite industry. You might find after this review that 1000 trucks is too many who knows.

Also you need to have sales people out there courting NEW customers at "A" rates. Sell SERVICE not PRICE- anybody who grinds you on price once will always grind you. So walk away.

The only way to bring in GOOD new customers is with an aggressive highly trained sales force, who incidentally should also be part of your customer service team. The customer service team should consist of the Field sales rep, in house assistant, and the dispatchers assigned to cover that service area.

Be SLOW to hire and QUICK to fire, watch your in house employees closely to quickly weed out the non-hackers and slackers before they infect the whole organization.

During slow downs, HIRE MORE SALESPEOPLE!!! If the highest paid people in your company aren't the sales team - your structured wrong because the sales force is the only part of the company that actually creates revenue.

Don't send 5 page weekly settlement sheets when one page can contain the same info. Push effientcy,

Any way I think that is a good start.

Most companies in any industry do a few things well, and many things poorly. The difference between a highly profitable well run business and a mediocre one is the better business concentrates on improving its weak spots.

There are quite a few things I know my carrier could do to improve thier bottom line, and if I were more aquinted with the internal workings I'm sure I could find more.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now for sale. The one, the only "dumb and dumber expedite" based out of Fargo, North Dakota. Our company motto is one of the best ones in the expediting industry; it is simply (we will get the load there when we get it there)! Guaranteed to be fifteen minites late on every load and our Cargo Vans are covered in fir. Now hiring moped drivers to take single packages cross country. You will be the only moped driver with a qualcomm unit attached to the handle bars of your bike! If you are interested in a job, or if you want to buy this company, please call 1-800-we-will-fuc-up and ask for Ace.

Last edited by a moderator:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
First of all you have too many dispatchers. So to cut back you would need to use some technology to see who is working and who is screwing around. This technology exhist and iisn't expensive to implement. The easiest way to track employees is with phone bill monitoring. Efficient dispatchers who turn phone calls and move loads get pay increases, but the bottom third in productivity get pink slips. Also I think the customer service unit has to many employees also, push productivity.

Review the customer base - rank customers by dollar value per mile dispatched. your the
A - High profit low maintenance customers - court these customers with better service and personal attention

B- Regular Profit, average maintenance customers - study these customers to find out why they are higher maintenance and fix it. Then slowly increase there rates, trying to move them into the A group.
C- Lower Profit, High Maintenance Customers, immediately raise there rates to at least "B" levels customers who are such a pain have the highest rates on the card.

Your lowest profit highest complaint customers should be reviewed to find out if WE are the problem or if they are. The customers who are more trouble than they are worth, we refer to our competitors.

This assumes that you don't want to be the bottom feeder in the expedite industry. You might find after this review that 1000 trucks is too many who knows.

Also you need to have sales people out there courting NEW customers at "A" rates. Sell SERVICE not PRICE- anybody who grinds you on price once will always grind you. So walk away.

The only way to bring in GOOD new customers is with an aggressive highly trained sales force, who incidentally should also be part of your customer service team. The customer service team should consist of the Field sales rep, in house assistant, and the dispatchers assigned to cover that service area.

Be SLOW to hire and QUICK to fire, watch your in house employees closely to quickly weed out the non-hackers and slackers before they infect the whole organization.

During slow downs, HIRE MORE SALESPEOPLE!!! If the highest paid people in your company aren't the sales team - your structured wrong because the sales force is the only part of the company that actually creates revenue.

Don't send 5 page weekly settlement sheets when one page can contain the same info. Push effientcy,

Any way I think that is a good start.

Most companies in any industry do a few things well, and many things poorly. The difference between a highly profitable well run business and a mediocre one is the better business concentrates on improving its weak spots.

There are quite a few things I know my carrier could do to improve thier bottom line, and if I were more aquinted with the internal workings I'm sure I could find more.

Easy,someone is liable to take you serious, they might take you off the streets.I like how you think

rpack41

Expert Expediter
My first thing on the agenda would be ,with a company of 1000 trucks, to staff the best brains in the industry to do my thinking for me. A CEO doesn't have to be knowledgeable, just have enough sense to surround himself with those who are.
If I hired top people, my company could advance off others knowledge.
Three most important areas.
I would have to obtain Top sales rep to supervise sales we want the elite of freight.
My safety director would have to come from DOT or FMCSA background .
Of course Uncle Sam. We would have to divide this company for sure, into maybe 3 companies. There has to be 1 showing loss of profit for tax purposes.
As CEO I do have enough sense to know that any failure in these Dept's can mean the downfall of my company.
Company1: 350 of these trucks are company owned. I want them seated with teams only. * they WILL get the top money freight. I will deny this is going on and tell the o/o they are not competing against company trucks. AND laugh all the way to the bank.
Company2: 350 o/o , paid 80% of BL.
Company3: 300 mixed : this company is for tax purposes.

whatcha think?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Review the customer base - rank customers by dollar value per mile dispatched.

Sell SERVICE not PRICE- anybody who grinds you on price once will always grind you. So walk away.

If the trucking industry followed the above, most of its problems would be solved. You would think it would be common logic but you'd be amazed how many companies don't get it. I had the chance to talk to the guy who owns my carrier the other day, I talked about pretty much the same thing and he doesn't care. As far as he's concerned revenue is revenue, maybe people should start thinking about profit first!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My first thing on the agenda would be ,with a company of 1000 trucks, to staff the best brains in the industry to do my thinking for me. A CEO doesn't have to be knowledgeable, just have enough sense to surround himself with those who are.
If I hired top people, my company could advance off others knowledge.
Three most important areas.
I would have to obtain Top sales rep to supervise sales we want the elite of freight.
My safety director would have to come from DOT or FMCSA background .
Of course Uncle Sam. We would have to divide this company for sure, into maybe 3 companies. There has to be 1 showing loss of profit for tax purposes.
As CEO I do have enough sense to know that any failure in these Dept's can mean the downfall of my company.
Company1: 350 of these trucks are company owned. I want them seated with teams only. * they WILL get the top money freight. I will deny this is going on and tell the o/o they are not competing against company trucks. AND laugh all the way to the bank.
Company2: 350 o/o , paid 80% of BL.
Company3: 300 mixed : this company is for tax purposes.

whatcha think?
to complecated,im still easytrader