Lessons learned

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This morning as usual I get my clothes, food and other stuff loaded in my truck. I rearrange the clothes and sweep out the back, NOP.

But today I figure I would work on the bulk head and pull a couple 10 conductor cables from the front to the back to replace the wiring I threw together. I also have two new keys to hide on the truck so when I do get locked out, I have a way in. I put everything on the front seat and started to clean the front - I hate a dirty truck.

I lost the spare key I keep on the truck – don’t ask stupid mistake but I had two made just in case.

So after I was done getting the front cleaned up, I closed the front door and went to the back to start the wiring but decided to go in to have an early lunch. I put the tools in my tool case and locked then shut the back door. I went to the front door and guess what I did? Out of habit I lock the door when I close it – all the doors are now locked, the spare keys are sitting next to the original keys and so is my registration, AAA card, license and credit cards all in my wallet. Also my cell phone is there and so is the house phone. Fortunately the day is warm, I left the side door open for the house and I got my lineman’s handset in my tool box in the basement to make any phone calls (except I have no clue if someone is calling me).

So my options are;

I can walk up to the dealer and get a key (another $7) but I need to have the registration and my license – which is in the van.

I could call AAA (or my wife can) but I need my card and ID which is in the truck (or if she calls got to have her card).

So I am going to sit and enjoy the sunny day with the cats and dogs.
:) :) :) :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had a spare key that I didn't get around to putting in a Hide-a-key box, until I locked myself out of the van - at 3am, in the middle of Nowhere, Tn, under load, of course. I'd left the keys in the ignition while filling the fuel tank, not intending to leave the van. I cleaned the windshield, then the side windows, & the pump was still going, so I cleaned the inside of the window on the driver's side too - hitting the lock button with a handful of paper towels. I was able to get a locksmith to come within the hour, & he only charged $60, which I thought pretty reasonable, so it could have been a lot worse.
When I saw Hide-a-key boxes in the discount bin at some truckstop, I bought a dozen, & gave them to every family member for Christmas. (Except my son in law, who frequently locks himself out, got 3)
Now, I put the keys in my pocket, or hooked to a belt loop, no matter what I think I'm going to do when I get out. :7

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

Dont feel bad, I lost two entire sets of keys last year.

I now wear a leather vest all of the time with front pockets, thats where the keys go, and I cannot lock keys inside of the truck lock is just like a Honda you must use a key. I put the key imm inside of that pocket.

I did finially find one of the sets I placed it on the passenger seat and the seat swollowed it. (No kidding) there is a little gap and they fell into it and I discovered 8 months later when I lost a bunch of change. Felt like a complete^&*( loosing two wets in two months.)

elton10

Expert Expediter
for those of you too nervous to leave a key in the usual HideAKey box(lets face it.. EVERY auto and truck theif knows how to find them) there is a nifty hid a key type box availbe that has a combination lock. I think its from Griot's Garage(not a plug.. I just thought ti was a nifty idea) Of course if you also forget the combination........?;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have 2 full sets with me. One set is on a carabiner and stays clipped to a belt loop all the time. The other set is on a regular ring and that's the one I use. If I'm on the other side and want to open the side box I can use the key on the carabiner but it then goes immediately back on the belt loop. My truck also won't lock without using the key or the keyless remote so I have to have a means to get in outside the truck when it's locked. It's just a matter of keeping it findable and the carabiner does that.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter One Year.
FEDEX D-6157

Greg awsome story. I also think you did the right thing!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe I'm giving thieves too much credit, but if I were picking a vehicle to steal, it wouldn't be one with a satellite unit on it! (And if there are ways to disable the GPS, I don't want to know - I like knowing that somebody knows exactly where I am)

elton10

Expert Expediter
> Maybe I'm giving thieves too much credit, but if I were
>picking a vehicle to steal, it wouldn't be one with a
>satellite unit on it! (And if there are ways to disable the
>GPS, I don't want to know - I like knowing that somebody
>knows exactly where I am)

Well of course you are right there, BUT some "lower rung" outfits(wont name names) dont have GPS..their idea of high tech commm is a phone call every 2 hrs:7
Of course most thieves wouldnt steal a truck because they couldnt drive it..but still.....

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One of the very best anti theft devices available is the basic manual transmission. The current crop of theives that we now have, generaly only know and can read the letter D. A clutch is like a moon rocket..

greg334

Veteran Expediter
> Maybe I'm giving thieves too much credit, but if I were
>picking a vehicle to steal, it wouldn't be one with a
>satellite unit on it! (And if there are ways to disable the
>GPS, I don't want to know - I like knowing that somebody
>knows exactly where I am)

You know a lot of people don't have a clue what it is sitting on the van in that white dome.

I heard a story from a freind who said that the QC led them right to the door of the idiots who stole a van because the driver who's van was stolen called his company first to get QC to ping the unit on his van. These idiots who stole the van put in the back yard of their house and covered it up so no one could see the name on the van, even put bushed and branchs all over it to camoflage it. After a few minutes QC called him back with a number for the cops to call and they told the cops where it was heading. when they arrested the idiots could not figure out why they were caught, even in court after it was explained to them by the judge.