Learning

Paige

Seasoned Expediter
I have been wanting to get OTR experience but how do you find someone willing to hire you without it? I want to drive in an expediting van but there too, everywhere I look they want someone with experience. How does one get started? Where's the BEST place to look? The BEST company to work for? What questions to ask :eek:This is all NEW to me!!
My brother-in-law drives team and I do not want a CDL. Yes they make pretty good money but the are on the road 2 months at the time. I do have a family that I would LOVE to see.
Back to more questions:
Would I have to go to school to drive a van? If so, how much do they charge, how long the pay? I live in SC and would like to find a company close: GA,SC,NC,FL anywhere that when I get a chance to come home I don't have to drive across country.
I know that all company policies are not the same but if I could get ANY information that would be WONDERFUL!!!:D I would love to be working in the south-east but willing to go where needed.
THANK YOU for your time and I will be waiting for your reply.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Paige;

Experience - for a driver to operate a cargo van, I myself like to see some sort of "driving" experience in a "work" related capacity. Every company will set their own hiring criteria. The way to obtain experience when you have none is to keep banging on doors till someone lets you in. Be persistant and keep searching.

I would also suggest that you contact any of the carriers that advertise on Expediters OnLine to find the hiring criteria for each. Apply to all that respond. Continue to research till you find or choose the carrier that you are most comfortable with. Read posts in the "Newbies" forum - there is a wealth of info there.

Good luck,

HotFr8Recruiter

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Would I have to go to school to drive a van?

You don't have to go to school to get a CDL. In the reference department of the public library they have study book/video combinations that you can check out. That was the way I got mine. Once you have a class C, I suggest that you contact different companies looking for fleet owners with vans. By driving someone elses van that protects you financially in case expediting isn't for you. Good luck in your adventures.-Jeanie

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
some companies want a cdl because they handle haz mat cargo. there are companies with no cdl requirement. in wisc. you can get a c class cdl in a cargo van. it falls on the person to pass the application questions then rent the cargo van and go test.

moose

Veteran Expediter
you have mention the "family you LOVE to see " as the rezone for choosing Expedite over a CDL driving career .
my opinion , you will see your family less driving an Expediting van ,then a TT.
many of the big carriers now (with the current HOS in mind) ,are offering more local jobs.
some will pay for the driving school and then charge you on the first few pay checks .or will not charge you at all if you stay for more then a year.
in my case i got throw driving school no money down ,non interests , and start paying for it only after 3 month experience , its like a store credit.
i ,for once , think that it is up to all of us , to stop giving advice as to how one can get a free CDL , no training needed .
trucking is not an unskilled profession , it takes a lot to be a successful O/O !
first step to take is to go to driving school !!!
if you are obligated on being successful O/O , please feel free to PM me .... you will not be the first i have mentored !

Moose.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
if you are obligated on being successful O/O , please feel free to PM me .... you will not be the first i have mentored !
Moose.

Moose, no offence but, weren't you asking for mentoring assistance just last month?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Moose, no offence but, weren't you asking for mentoring assistance just last month?

Wow , someone is really pay attention to my posts... :)
Thanks PJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ...
indeed ,
yes i Did , as to Expedite .
at that time i was lease to Panther , and was looking for a way to figure out the system,
leasing to Panther was a big mistake on my side of the deal , it just Did not work for me as well as it is working for others (please pay attention that i'm not saying anything wrong about panther ).
I have made the necessary changes and doing well for now.
never the less , the help that i'm offering for this newbee is on the business side of trucking , in witch i think i have a lot to shear.
i'm not in place ( YET) to give any advice as to the Expedite side of it ,
and , if you will please reread my post , you will find out that i have offered him help if he is deciding not to go Expedite.
sleep-well.

Moose.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Well of course we pay attention to your posts, and everyone else's! At least I do! And yes, you seem very knowledgable on lots of things. Didn't mean any offence. So what's your gig now, Moose?
PS No rest for the wicked :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well of course we pay attention to your posts, and everyone else's! At least I do! And yes, you seem very knowledgable on lots of things. Didn't mean any offence. So what's your gig now, Moose?
PS No rest for the wicked :)

As i mention "I'M" doing well for now...
I do not think that it will work for many others , there for i'm not bragging ..... for now... Knowing me it will not take long before i opened my mouth again... :)

Moose.