Laredo Tx

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For everyone's info the US Counsular officials have issued a warning for all American visting Nuevo Laredo Mexico ,right across the river. They said to be especially aware of safety and security.In the last 4 months over 25 Americans have been kidnapped or have disappeared.
Quote"We are seeing outright lawlessness in Nuevo Laredo, thing are totally out of hand. There is alarming rate of Americans being kidnapped throughout Mexico. Some abuctors demand ransoms of $100.000." FBI reports over 27 Ameicans kidnapped with several being killed since last August.
I have crossed over on foot several times and I know of other Expediters that go across to purchase prescription drugs or eyeglasses. Best to be real careful now.This info was in my Sunday Newspaper.

Rich M
Owner/Operator
Professional
18 years

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Si usted es una de estas románticas personas, podemos ayudarle a confeccionar y escribir una de estas fantásticas correspondencias. Ya no es necesario reproducir a rajatabla las técnicas del siglo dieciocho, cuando los amantes sellaban sus cartas con cera, y las envolvían en cintas especiales, pero sí es necesario conocer ciertos secretos para conseguir que sus cartas tengan el mayor romanticismo posible, como por ejemplo dirigirse a una librería para adquirir un papel especial, perfumado y con muy buenos tonos.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>Si usted es una de estas románticas personas, podemos
>ayudarle a confeccionar y escribir una de estas fantásticas
>correspondencias. Ya no es necesario reproducir a rajatabla
>las técnicas del siglo dieciocho, cuando los amantes
>sellaban sus cartas con cera, y las envolvían en cintas
>especiales, pero sí es necesario conocer ciertos secretos
>para conseguir que sus cartas tengan el mayor romanticismo
>posible, como por ejemplo dirigirse a una librería para
>adquirir un papel especial, perfumado y con muy buenos
>tonos.

Per babel fish:

If you are one of these romantic people, we can help him to make and write one of these fantastic correspondences. No longer it is necessary to reproduce to rajatabla the techniques of century eighteen, when the lovers sealed their letters with wax, and they surrounded them in special tapes, but it is necessary to know certain secrets to obtain that their letters have the greater possible romanticism, like for example going to a bookstore to acquire a special paper, perfumed and with very good tones.

Ok, I too gotta ask. Huh?!?!?

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I gotta work on that License Plate; DD. you're the first to comment on it.

Terry
Keeping DOT logs since 1966.

P.S. I don't know what it means either. Just a cut and paste job to amuse myself on this blustery morning.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
LOL....

I once crossed over to buy exactly those items...special paper which was perfumed and had very lovely tones... even bought the sealing wax and envelopes...

still have them and will sell at a special price to anyone considering crossing over for these items.

Terry.... your a scream! cut and paste LOL!

and leave it up to Twmaster to translate...LOL!

RichM... thanks for the post... I have drivers in Laredo all the time and will continue to caution them about crossing over. Hace always suggested that they cross with another person.
On another topic ... thanks for posting your credentials in your signature line...a great idea that helps all reading know about the person giving the advice.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Rich-
Been spending lots of time in Texas recently and we were actually thinking of crossing over one of these days....no more.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have relatives in TX. They and their freinds have made trips to Mexico for the same reasons. Word from them is cross at Progresso and park right next to border. Cross bridge on foot to shops. Stay away from some of the other crossings. For us, we'll pay the higher prices. Not worth the risk.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
hi nancy, we haven't seen you on here in awhile.just wanted to let you know that we have joined the group of drivers that have contributed $100.00 to the great state of LA.(the better half was driving,and she was not happy)we were just wondering how yours turned out?DD.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>hi nancy, we haven't seen you on here in awhile.just wanted
>to let you know that we have joined the group of drivers
>that have contributed $100.00 to the great state of LA.(the
>better half was driving,and she was not happy)we were just
>wondering how yours turned out?DD.

LOL! Well after two of their so called hearings....I ended up paying $50.00. Talked with the Assitant DA and she admitted it was a BS citation but LA has their own rules. Furthermore, the scale house guy is just that: a guy. NOT an officer which he claimed. I did find out though that these "infractions" were only privy to the Shreveport Interstate 20 West side scale house....We now use rt 80 around the scale. We have been back and forth from Texas numerous times in the past three months and have traveled through LA every time...with no more "infactions". LOL

mcbride-

Mcats Express

Expert Expediter
Driver
Is it safe to go to laredo, texas? I am starting with PANTHER II on Monday. Also where is a good place to sleep for a cargo van? thanks mitch

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
DD and McB:
Maybe y'all can help the rest of us.
Would y'all mind telling us what led to those "infractions?"
Then maybe we can all watch out for the same point in the Bayou State -- or at least at that particular scalehouse.
Thanks.
Doc.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Doc,

Sorry...the infraction is having a pusher/tag axle on your truck AND the regulator is in the cab...NOT the air pressure control valve, the regulator...crazy eh? The law states that the regulator must be on the outside of the vehicle...well actually the law doesn't say that completely...it says LA trucks must have it on the outside. The law was developed for grain haulers and farm equipment vehicles. The scale house "guy" however feels this law pertains to all vehicles. The "guy" gives out tickets citing a different statute...indicating you are being cited under the weight statutes. I was hell bent on fighting the ticket, and did for 6 months, but it was starting to cost me more money than the fine was. Another crazy thing about it is if our tires were the same size (our pusher has smaller tires), and they were down when crossing the scale we would not be issued a ticket either....So, if you have a pusher or tag and your tires are smaller and your regulator is on the inside of your vehicle you may be better off to just go around... SHREVEPORT SCALE HOUSE INTERSTATE 20 ESPECIALLY WEST BOUND SIDE.

mcbride-
O/O-Super D unit-Team-6yrs
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Is it safe to go to laredo, texas? I am starting with
>PANTHER II on Monday. Also where is a good place to sleep
>for a cargo van? thanks mitch

We were just in Laredo in late December. It was our first trip there. Saw nothing to concern us but would not even think about taking a truck across the border. We'd be reluctant to cross by any means given what we've heard. We stayed at the Pilot RichM mentioned. It's as nice of a Pilot as we've seen. No worries about safety beyond those of any truck stop. We'd go back if the freight took us that way.

While delivering our load and waiting for the next, I used the opportunity to observe the Mexican truck drivers that are now being talked about in the news as certain public policies change. Some of them were quite good. They masterfully backed their big rigs into challenging places. The rest seemed no better and no worse in general than drivers in Canada and the U.S. We may be seeing a lot of them on the road in the years ahead. Have you noticed the Spanish-language version of the NATSO magazine now showing up at truck stops?

The times, they are achanging....again!

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I was in Laredo a few weeks ago. They where very helpful at the visitor information rest area. Gave me a map with directions right to the terminal. While waiting to get unloaded me and a 18 wheeler driver where watching the trucks that came up from mexico. The drivers seem to have the trucks under great control and could hook and unhook with the best of them. But the trucks... Yikes.. Most of what I saw was old white/gmc cabovers painted a very recginizable orange. Next time your down there, look at the condition of the tires. We saw several trucks with NO tread left on the steer tires! I would hope that the large companies like Jaguar would keep their trucks in better shape. I just hope the DOT keeps a eye on them.

I also worry about losing my job to someone willing to sit in the seat for 15-25 cents a mile.

I won't cross the mexico boarder. And I have about had it with the canada boarder as well. To much bs to deal with.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
We pick up loads from Mexico, from the California side. This driver told me, to make sure you have extra lights, rubber glad hands. Our trailers cross and when they come back. Anything that is not tied down. Dosen't come back.

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected] :(