Laptop External Speakers Recomendations Anyone

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Laptop sound volume to low on some videos, not all just some.

Laptop volume control levels are already at maximum. Would external speakers help?

Thanks
jimmy

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
We bought some decent insignia (best buy's brand) speakers for $20-30. 3pc set, a bit much, but loud enough to hear a DVD over the apu/ac.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
We bought some decent insignia (best buy's brand) speakers for $20-30. 3pc set, a bit much, but loud enough to hear a DVD over the apu/ac.

Thanks jansiemoo. Will check them out. Are they powered off the UBS port ? I think what I trying to ask, are they powered off the laptop battery.

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Laptop sound volume to low on some videos, not all just some.

Laptop volume control levels are already at maximum. Would external speakers help?

Thanks
jimmy
Yeah, it would help, but then there's two or three speakers (pieces of stuff) that you have to deal with. The fewer pieces of stuff I have to deal with, the better. I ended up going with a nice Nokia Noise Canceling Bluetooth Stereo Headphones that can work either wired or Bluetooth. You can use it as a Bluetooth headset for the phone, but the sound quality of the microphone just doesn't compare to that of the Blue Parrot, especially when driving.

I got it strictly for listening to MP3s on the computer and the phone, as well as for watching videos on the computer. I usually use it wired to save the battery in the headset.

I can also directly connect it to the audio output of the XM radio and have noise canceling nirvana as I drive down the road, tho I'm not sure I'd actually recommend driving down the road with headphones on. :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers (2 tweeter/mid range, 1 sub woofer)...works great...but as Turtle said you have more "stuff" to deal with...I have 1 speaker under the drivers seat, the sub and volume control speaker lay on the floor at the base of the engine cover.

Oh, and my "system" needs power for the amp, (hence the volume control)..I have to plug it into an external power scource (the inverter) so you have 3 cords to deal with also...

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Head sets in my opinion do the trick. I have the same for both phone and laptop. Also have better sound quality with a good headset. :cool:

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks jansiemoo. Will check them out. Are they powered off the UBS port ? I think what I trying to ask, are they powered off the laptop battery.

jimmy

Unfortunately, like chef's, these are not USB powered. If you can try out speakers in the store, you may find the usb powered ones do not have enough power to be heard over an apu or idling trucks nearby, IMHO.
Mine are a 3pc, store in a 8x10x10" box.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks you purgoose10. And thank you again jansiemoo. the point about the USB power is interesting.

jimmy

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I have the Yamaha NX-U10 laptop speakers. Great sound via usb port. I just checked. I don't think they make them anymore. My son asked about the same thing a week ago. I referred him to the Logitech Laptop system: Logitech Z305 2.0 Laptop Speaker System. It got great reviews. Costs about $45 at Bestbuy. Good luck.

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
I have a set of Bose companion 2. They sound great! Hey, they are Bose. I think I paid around $80 a few years back. They are not usb powered, though.

moose

Veteran Expediter
, tho I'm not sure I'd actually recommend driving down the road with headphones on. :D

good point, driving down the road with a full headset for as many ears you got is also illegal in most states and all of Canada's.