Landstar/FDXCC

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hello all.

I am currently looking into who I might want to sign a D unit onto. I am new to expediting, but not new to trucking. I have recently purchased an '01 Columbia with 24'dry box.

I am currently researching Landstar as they seem to have the best fit for me. I would greatly appreciate any advice from anyone who has been or is currently leased to Landstar.

I live about 125 miles from Memphis, TN and understand this is a good location for them and FDXCC. Also, I will be a solo driver.

Any comments?

Thanks, Rocketman

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Hi Rocketman,
I've been O/O solo driver with Landstar Express since last week in January and have had no complaints with any part of the business. Most of my runs are east coast and I have been busy. Can't speak personally for the Memphis area.
Good Luck
John

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks JohnO

I'm a little leary of dealing with the agents, but I do like Landstar's business profile of letting you operate at your own will to some extent. I feel that I have enough self discipline to make it work, I just don't want to have to beg for work...although I understand it may be needed at times! LOL. I just wouldn't want it to be ALL the time.

Thanks

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I have been running solo with FECC for just over a year now. The first six months were a struggle and much of that was my doing. I am pleased to be with FECC and like the dispatch system (no begging or at least not much). Nothing is ever perfect but for the most part I stay content and the freight is moving for me as well. Atlanta is my home express center.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm in northeast AR actually.

Lanier, what size unit do you run? Do you mind if I pm you some questions?

Thanks

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman, not sure where you got your begging for work information as I haven't seen or heard anything like that happening? As a matter of fact I’ve turned down some runs to test the waters for hopefully better loads around the corner. I haven’t got burned as yet but the law of averages will determine when that happens.

I’ve negotiated a good portion of my runs and found agents to be quite fair. When they offer you the run you are told the total amount the run is paying and how much of it is yours the agent and corporate split the remainder. Once you find out the total run value you have a better handle on what additional money you can negotiate for yourself.

Another tool you have to assist in your negotiating is Landstar Online web site that allows you to find out how many other units are currently in your area the less the number the greater bargaining you have. Being the only one within 100 miles puts you in the driver seat of course the reverse also applies when there are many.

Landstar allows you to set your own goals and will not interfere with what plan you decide to follow.

O/O’s fall into 4 categories to my knowledge
1. Cherry picker are the group who only take the gravy jobs
2. Semi-retired group who take the months off at a time
3. Folks who take the majority of loads offered as long as it’s profitable
4. Folks who take every (well almost every) run just to keep moving

For now I seem to be falling into the 3rd group and will probably continue that way

Good Luck

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
John, I probably should have worded that statement differently. I've actually heard many good things about Landstar and hardly any negatives. I'm guessing that any company is prone to have days, weeks and even months of slow freight volume. From what I've gathered so far, Landstar has no problems with this. At least no more than anyone else.

I'm basicly just trying pick out what would work for me. For the time being, my short list of companies is very, very short. Landstar and FedexCC for the large companies and I've heard good things about TranStewart and Ablair. I guess I should say that Express1 is also an option.

I have a lot of digging to do still. It just takes a lot of time and I'm not sure that I'll ever be 100% sure of which is the best. At some point, I'll just have to pick one a go for it. I would prefer to make a good choice from the start though.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yep, when you are starting out, jes put some names on the wall, an throw a dart. Then, when you are an expert in this business, in about six weeks, you can really look around.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's how those experts got rich in the 90's... picking stocks by throwing darts :7

Hey... do you think it would make a difference if that's how we elect our representatives? ;)

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hey Col.

I have read a lot of threads on this forum and actually have respect for most people with a military background. But, it seems that every post you make anymore is condescending to someone. For my part, if you can't say something constructive, I would just as soon you didn't contribute to any thread that I start. I'm looking for advice not sarcasm! I've got a lot of good help from a few folks here and it's appreciated, but I rarely see you even attempting to help anyone.

To everyone else, Thanks for the input.

** edited once

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
rocket,how can you servive without a sence of humor,you better be able to laugh at some of the stuff said here,or its going to be a long journey

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I've got plenty of humor in me, but I've read through these forums alot lately and I've seen the posts this guy makes and I've not seen a single post that was meant to be helpful. Every post is rude, sarcastic, and out right mean spirited.

If a sense of humor is what it takes to deal with people like that, your right, I don't have one. But, I do have the guts to stand up for myself to you, the col. or anybody else that wants to talk down to me.

Thanks,

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have to admit that I see some of the posts made by the col. today are actually civil. I'm sure everyone appreciates that. I do have a lot of respect for the col. or any other person that has fought for our great country...as long as they will allow me at least some measure of respect in return.

At this point, I would really like to ask those that post to this thread to keep it on subject and somewhat civil. I am honestly doing the best I can to sort out who I should sign on with in an industry that is obviously no cake walk.

I appreciate the help everyone!