Landstar Bashing

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Really now, I don't know crap about Landstar, but I never see any negative posts on them either. I figure since we are dogging Fecc and Panther maybe we should get some dirt on the star too. I never see their units sitting around but then again I don't see that many "D" units either. Have they gotten out of that segment of the business? Who is leased on with the Star? Anyone on the forum?
Just curious,
Mike and Cyn

HoosierHllyBlly

Seasoned Expediter
Have some friends on Landstar. They seem happy with them. They are running a D-Unit and doing very well. I run on Fedex CC in a White Glove Tval truck and doing very well and If for some reason something happens I know Landstar is my next choice.

Be Safe out there
HoosierHllyBlly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've had two in-depth conversations with Landstar expediters. Both were happy. Guess we'll have to bash them because they don't bash their carrier like others do. If a driver is happy and not bashing his carrier you just know, don't you, that something fishy is going on?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We currently deal with several Landstar agents and they are really great. LDB drove for them and came back to Panther. He might be able to shed some light on his experiences.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, you asked for it so here it is. Landstar is horrible... when you have to be in orientation in Rockford, IL in January and it's 9 below zero there. Well, I guess that isn't their fault but it was still mighty cold.

They have a good system but it is different. You have over 60 express centers rather than a single dispatch center. None of them know you from Adam so when you start with them you get the leftovers mostly. The ones who have been there a while have certain express centers they are in with. They get first call on jobs because they're a known entity to the express center. I'd say it takes 6 months to really get into their system and be known to enough centers to really stay busy. I liked them but felt it was better to focus on one company and am comfortable with Panther.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
A Landstar driver cemented me leaving my old company. He hit me in the head w/ a rock!! =)

Actually, I met this guy in Allison, Ontario. We were both doing a delivery. In talking to him I found out he had picked up about 20 miles from where I did. As our chat went along, I realized that he was making almost twice as much as I was for the same delivery. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I was going to make $273 or something & he was making $523 or something like that for pretty much the same run.

This guy was in a cargo van like I was. He seemed real pleased w/ them. He gave me a couple of numbers to call, but no one returned any messages. Getting in contact w/ em was a challenge. Still, I've never talked to a Landstar driver who didn't like working for em. I'm guessing I've talked to 7 or 8 total, so not a huge sample, but from talking to the drivers I've ran into, I have a very favorable impression of the company.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Okay, here is the best I can do right now, The worst thing about Landstar is they treat us like a business. They won't hold our hand and tell us where to go or what to do. This doesn't go over well with drivers who need a babysitter.

They don't pay a set deadhead rate, however, most agents will give some for deadheading to get there load. If we don't like the load or where it is going we can turn it down, no penalty.

With over 50 agents we can get a load from anyone of them. So we have to have good phone skills, and sound professional when talking to them. Sometimes we might even need to stop in to their office and say Hi, this results in getting treated to lunch on some occasions, or better load offers from them.

The hours are terrible too. Since most of the agents go home at 5:00 pm, if we don't have a load we can get a good nights sleep or head to another location with better load possibilities.

They let us take all the time off that we want, with no hassles. We took off a week for the fourth of July, and this past week. And no body seemed to care they just said "have a great time"

Thats the best I can do for now, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Ken
LEAM 4474

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
What I like most about the company is the ability to just say " no'. If you don't want the load offered for any reason, it's that easy. Like Leo stated, it takes a while for agents to get to know your name and how you conduct your business. If they like the way you take care of their custormers,they will use you. So many posts on this site talk about being professional in appearence,having the right equipt., and simply showing up and delivering on time..It's really a pretty simple business. Last year I found working the FEMA duty in La. to be very profitable and I donn't know if the other exped.. companies were in on that. Landstar is not perfect but it is what "YOU" make it. I fully recomend the company to anyone who wants to work hard and make or break it based on their abilities and what they are willing to do. No free lunch here:)

Greg #2774 D unit

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is good to hear from Landstar drivers here. A Landstar driver I spoke with said she liked Landstar best because, "You can pick your loads."

Let me ask a hypothetical. At the moment we're in Topeka, Kansas. Our home is Minnesota, near Minneapolis/Saint Paul. Say we wanted to get home under load, not instantly, but in as direct a fashon as possible. How might that work in the Landstar system?

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Two ways come to mind, go to the express web page and see who has had loads out of Kansas or near there going to st paul, or call HQ and ask them who gets loads that way.

Second, find a sister company load, they dont pay as good but it beats being empty.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I guess no one wants to bash landstar.I guess that should tell you all something. I have never been directly leased to express america
but I have done a couple of loads for them and all I can say is the paid what they said they would in 2 days.

I have known a couple cargo van operators and they both said they wouldnt go anyplace else.

I was leased to ranger at one time and can say I dont like somethings about them mainly the qualifacations process takes to long.

I once submitted paperwork on a driver and about 10 days passed before he was scheduled for class in rockford,il that alone wasnt to bad but he completed his first day of class and about half way the next day he got a call and jacksonville,fl found that he had worked for Ligon before and didnt metion it on his ap so they told him to go home.Why I dont know they wouldnt tell me.and I think it was rotten of them not to find this in the 10 days before I paid his way to rockford and had the truck sitting there all that time. but that is the most mud I can fling at them and If I leased to any company other than 1 I help set up they would be on my yes list.

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
They aint perfect, and alot of work. I almost signed up until I talked to some of there drivers. You do ok if you kiss but and drive for a agent. If you dont and got your own truck, you have to compete with all the agents that have trucks.
You also only get 62 percent of a load instead of 75 or 85 that others pay.
If I was to spend all that time looking for loads I aint doing it for 62 percent.

George

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Let me ask a hypothetical. At the moment we're in Topeka, Kansas. Our home is Minnesota, near Minneapolis/Saint Paul. Say we wanted to get home under load, not instantly, but in as direct a fashon as possible.
===============================================
Now that sounds scary Phil. You can put your truck in Panther Elite with the reefer and additionally book the loads you want. You set the rate and direction of travel. And yes, you can haul Landstar loads as well. Actually, more than one at times with some pretty decent rates. As for Topeka, Panther has averaged two loads a day for the last 21 according to their system.
Sure beats deadheading with fuel at $3.00 a gallon or sitting for days

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Blacktiger. Which carriers pay 75 - 85%? How much would that be for a given truck size?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Terry
Panther is 85 percent on your booked loads regardless of vehicle size. Not sure on the others. Maybe Fosters or C&M?
He will have to answer the others.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For over a year and a half, I have hung around theses forums, reading what you good people are sharing with each other. As some of you will remember, my knees finally made me get off the road.

Having said that, I can't let this post go by without adding my two
cents worth: I started with Con-way NOW, went to Express America
(before Landstar bought them), then on to Nations Express, and then
to Landstar. Only wish that I ahd known about LEAM sooner!

Learned their system rather quickly, and never regretted joining their team. Contrary to one individual has suggested, I never did have to "kiss butt" to get a load. It may have changed, since I left, but these comments, thus far, lead me to believe that it is
still a great place to be an expediter.

Thanks for being here and letting me continue to "lurk".:+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dave:

Technically, Panther (and FedEx Custom Critical) take 15%, on the loads you develop; they don't pay 85% on their loads. My question to Blacktiger remains unanswered.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Terry,
You did bring up a interesting question.
I would be curious as to anyone that has hauled their own freight while contracted to Fedex and what their experience has been with regards to rates and any limitations.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator