Lake Erie's Finest!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A picture of a friends catch from this morning. I am not sure where he was fishing but he normally fishes on the Michigan/Ohio line on Lake Erie. A fine supper in the making to say the least!!
Let us hope that this Lake stays in the condition that it is in and that this kind of fishing is always with us. A fine, safe and healthy food source.

Gaze upon these "lovelies" and drool!!! :D:D

Attachments

• walleye.jpg
    walleye.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 10

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I went to the Yacht Club For the Buffet this Morning,and in doing so I struck up a Conversation with One of the members who told me that Yesterday (Saturday) He took his Boat out Just About a Half Mile Past the Harbor Light and Caught 14 Walleye ranging in size from 16-20 Inches in Less than 1/2 Hour after throwing their Lines in the Water! There were a Total of (4) Fishing.. Not Too Shabby Huh? :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard from my friend. He was fishing near Turtle Island in 12' of water. Took him 30 minutes to find the fish and 20 to limit out. Man it is soooooo easy this time of year. I don't even have to look for the fish on the "River", I just head for "My Rock" and limit out. It never changes. They have been there at this time of year for at LEAST 100 years that I am aware of.

NO, I have not been fishing quite that long. I just knew enough people long enough to date that rock and it's fish holding abilities. I had to say that, OVM was going to jump on my like an 800lb gorrilla!!!

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
My Boat is all finished and Ready to go, Hopefully it will be Out in the Water sometime Early this week. That way I Can see if I Can Find some of those Pesky Walleye and remove them from the water Lol :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My Boat is all finished and Ready to go, Hopefully it will be Out in the Water sometime Early this week. That way I Can see if I Can Find some of those Pesky Walleye and remove them from the water Lol :D

If in Ohio waters try out by Turtle Island. Putz around there. They should remain in the area for another week or two. Look in 8-12ft of water there. If Michigan waters try out at the 17' line in front of the nuke plant.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
By the Nuke Plant? Guess it wouldn't be too Hard to find them out by there, I'll Just Look for the Glow in the Water Lol :D
Yesterday I was Told that the Earliest my Boat would be in the Water is "Sunday", What a Bummer :( Oh well, I'll still have time to catch some of them....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By the Nuke Plant? Guess it wouldn't be too Hard to find them out by there, I'll Just Look for the Glow in the Water Lol :D
Yesterday I was Told that the Earliest my Boat would be in the Water is "Sunday", What a Bummer :( Oh well, I'll still have time to catch some of them....

The close waters of Lake Erie are good up until about mid August. It is always good out by the "Sisters".

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I've always wanted to catch some walleye. I don't know why, because I don't know exactly what the heck they are. I just always heard people talking about them from up north, and I want to see what the fuss is all about.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I've always wanted to catch some walleye. I don't know why, because I don't know exactly what the heck they are. I just always heard people talking about them from up north, and I want to see what the fuss is all about.

What, You Have Never Ate WallEye? That's almost Unamerican Lol, Just Messin with Ya! Walleye is Very Delicious, They give up a Little Struggle and Fun when trying to Land them But Are Down Right Good to eat. Like Layout Says, If they are Under 14 Inches then throw them Back cuz they don't taste as good as the 15-20 Inch size does. I Can't say exactly when they Run and Only go on what Others say, But they are Running Right Now and I Can't seem to get the Owner of the Marina to Put my Boat in Before Sunday :( That just gives me about 2 Weeks to Fill My Freezer.. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What, You Have Never Ate WallEye? That's almost Unamerican Lol, Just Messin with Ya! Walleye is Very Delicious, They give up a Little Struggle and Fun when trying to Land them But Are Down Right Good to eat. Like Layout Says, If they are Under 14 Inches then throw them Back cuz they don't taste as good as the 15-20 Inch size does. I Can't say exactly when they Run and Only go on what Others say, But they are Running Right Now and I Can't seem to get the Owner of the Marina to Put my Boat in Before Sunday :( That just gives me about 2 Weeks to Fill My Freezer.. :D

You got all summer to fill your freezer. The "Lake" will be good until August. I think you read one thing wrong. The 13-15 inch fish were the best eating of the lot. They are just no longer legal. I throw back any OVER 20". I will let you know when I am home. I can help you with where to fish. I can also put you in touch with someone who is out there fishing all the time.

Come on up Ark!! Walleye are related to yellow perch, same basic fin structure etc. Just as good or better for the table. Take a look at those pictures I posted.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Down here we are all about catfish, crappie, brim, and bass fishing. Every once and a while I go to North Arkansas where my Uncle lives and go trout fishing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Down here we are all about catfish, crappie, brim, and bass fishing. Every once and a while I go to North Arkansas where my Uncle lives and go trout fishing.

We do all of that too, PLUS, salmon and steelhead. We fish 12 months out of the year. Hard water (ice) soft water, makes no difference to us.

In my area, walleye is king. Those who don't like food fish fish for bass, large and smallmouth, on Lake Erie. Lake Erie smallmouth get, BIG, by normal standards. Not hard to find one in the 5-6lb range.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Boat was Put in Yesterday, After some Fine Tuning and small repairs I will be Out Gittin Them Walleye's! :D

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
How do you plan to fish? Troll? Planner boards? Cast?

I'm gonna start by Casting and then slowly reeling in, But if that doesn't work I'm gonna Cast it out and let the Boat Drift and see what that way gets me! Either way, It Should be Fun. :D I Just got a Call from West Marine that The Extension Cable for my Fish Finder has Finally arrived. $54.00 Bucks :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm gonna start by Casting and then slowly reeling in, But if that doesn't work I'm gonna Cast it out and let the Boat Drift and see what that way gets me! Either way, It Should be Fun. :D I Just got a Call from West Marine that The Extension Cable for my Fish Finder has Finally arrived. $54.00 Bucks :eek:

What will you be casting? Am I wrong in guessing that you have not done much walleye fishing out on Lake Erie?

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
What will you be casting? Am I wrong in guessing that you have not done much walleye fishing out on Lake Erie?

No, Your not wrong, I Haven't really fished out in the Lake for a lot of years (Especially for Walleye) Years ago my friend had a Boat and I Didn't, so we went out in his Boat, But That was Aloooong Time Ago! And I'm Trying to Remember How we Did it for Walleye. Perch Fishing wasn't a Problem, I have been doing that for the past 4 years, But didn't have the Right gear for walleye.. I will be Using the Erie Dearie,I have heard that the "Green" is what they are Hitting on Right Now. Could my Information be Wrong? :confused: