L-Track vs. E-Track for floor of cargo van

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trying to decide whether to install L-track on the floor of my E250 extended c/v, or E-track. I will be installing E-track on the walls so I can use a load bar, but I'm thinking of using L-track on the floor because it gets screwed down in one line, so it should be easier to mount on top of the ribs in the floor.

My questions are these:

Is L-track strong enough?

Are the straps strong enough, since they tend not to be as wide as those used on E-track?

Should I mount vertical E-track at each end of the floorboard?

On that note, I have approximately 130" of space to play with, so should I plan on running track the entire length, less about 7" for a mattress? Or instead plan on a bulkhead and a more permanent bunk? My mattress is foam, 30" x 74", so if I built a bunk I'd have about 98-99 inches of freight space. Is that enough space for two skids, or am I cutting it too close?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My questions are these:

Is L-track strong enough?

Are the straps strong enough, since they tend not to be as wide as those used on E-track?
I can't advise you about L-track since I have never used it. I do know that L-track is typically made from extruded aluminum and is narrower than E-track and thus lighter in weight.

Should I mount vertical E-track at each end of the floorboard?
Yes! E-Track mounted at both ends not only gives different attachment points, but mounted on the door end of the floor, it protects the floor from forklift damage.

Is that enough space for two skids, or am I cutting it too close?
I have a long wheelbase Chevy. I have a permanent bunk, but it does fold up. I also have a bulkhead. I give my carrier 100" of floor space and this seems to work for me. When loading two 4-way pallets I will often ask the shipper to turn one pallet sideways, just to give me an extra 8" of wiggle room for strapping or in case the freight extends over the pallet.

My E-track is mounted on top of ⅜" plywood. I used self tapping (Tec screws) where I couldn't run bolts and stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers along the rest of the runs. After installation I sprayed the underside of van with a rubberized undercoating where I ran the bolts.

I then ran ½ composite planks, with a thin underlayment, you could use ⅝" plywood, this will be slightly higher than the E-track, making it recessed into the floor. I still have a little better than 48" clearance at the doors and almost another inch if I remove the GM door hanger thingie.

Attachments

• E-Track 025.jpg
    E-Track 025.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 89
  • 100IMAGE-0019_IMG[2].jpg
    100IMAGE-0019_IMG[2].jpg
    21 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Xmudman,

I have 2 sets of L track on the walls and 4 sets of both vert. and horiz. E track on the floor... US Cargo Control sells combo straps with both ends on the strap so you can utilize them with either track system in all types of lengths and strengths... You can also get D rings that are used with the L track if you already own some J hook straps... As far as cargo floor space goes, what is the width between your wheel wells???
004c.jpg004d.jpg004f.jpg004g.jpg006a.jpg006b.jpg010.jpg011.jpg

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have the L track on the sides and horizontal E-track on the floor with 1/2" plywood to level the floor with the e-track (1/2" plywood is the perfect thickness imo). I just don't like the L-track. I would never depend on it to keep freight from sliding forward. It's great for hanging clothes on the side walls or mounting storage bins, etc. I would never trust it to tie down 2-3,000 lbs of freight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another thought, if going with E-track, it is now available in galvanized version. Get the galvanized! It shouldn't rust or scratch like the painted version.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the L track on the sides and horizontal E-track on the floor with 1/2" plywood to level the floor with the e-track (1/2" plywood is the perfect thickness imo). I just don't like the L-track. I would never depend on it to keep freight from sliding forward. It's great for hanging clothes on the side walls or mounting storage bins, etc. I would never trust it to tie down 2-3,000 lbs of freight.

Mr. Rocketman Sir,

I agree with you on soley relying on the L track to secure pallets... But, I was so thankful to have them the other day... I had a three pallet load and the pallets were over 60" tall and 52" long with freight hanging over the sides, so I put one strap the entire length and used the L tracks for across each pallet... I have also used the L track to secure windows to the side when hauling them...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Mr. Rocketman Sir,

I agree with you on soley relying on the L track to secure pallets... But, I was so thankful to have them the other day... I had a three pallet load and the pallets were over 60" tall and 52" long with freight hanging over the sides, so I put one strap the entire length and used the L tracks for across each pallet... I have also used the L track to secure windows to the side when hauling them...
I would be ok with using the L-track in those kinds of applications. I just wouldn't depend on it to keep freight out of the driver's seat. That is my #1 concern with any load. There is just not enough room in the driver's seat for me and a skid of freight! :)

Oh...btw... easy on the "sir" stuff....well above my pay grade :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
L-Track (Logistic Track, also sometimes known as "airline track") is the standard securement for air cargo.

L-track single-stud fittings have a working load limit of 1333 pounds (breaking strength of 4000 pounds), and double-stud fittings have a working load limit of 2833 pounds (breaking strength of 8500 pounds).

E-Track fittings have a working load limit of 1333 pounds (breaking strength of 4000 pounds), same as single-stud L-Track.

The reason L-Track is used in air cargo is because it's both lighter and stronger than E-Track. A double-stud L-Track with an 8500 pound breaking strength (vertical capacity testing) also has a breaking strength of 5000 pounds at horizontal and 45° capacity testing, 3.75 times the working load limit, as per the ISO 9788 standards. E-Track has horizontal and 45° breaking strength of just a little over 2 times the load limit, or 3000 pounds for the standard 1333 load limit fittings.

I know it sure doesn't look like it, but L-Track is quite strong and can be trusted. You can get ratchet straps with both E-Track and L-Track fittings on the same straps, so one set of straps can be used in either or both configurations.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was born in western Kentucky. And I've lived 2/3 of my life here. The rest has been divided up between my formative years in Cincinnati with a couple of years here and there in Ft. Lauderdale (awesome), New Jersey (hated it), Pittsburgh (I'm a Reds and Bengals fan, so... hated it), and Nashville (practically Kentucky).

Obviously, I haven't committed securement specifications and standards to memory, but I do know where to quickly reference them.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Xmudman,
....what is the width between your wheel wells???

According to teh interwebz, 52.5". Looks about right, going by the space left between the edge of the 4 by 8 I have in there now, and the wheelwell.

Right now, I'm thinkin' two runs of 100" L-track, approx 24-30" apart, with a 4' piece of vertical E at the door, as Moot suggested. For the floor, 3/4 birch, 8' long, ripped to fit around the L-track. I want to do a bulkhead so that I don't hafta heat/cool/insulate the whole cargo section.

A question for another, warmer day: how to mount a window-shaker a/c in the front window, while keeping the cool in and the bugz out.

BTW, that setup in your truck looks wicked sweet. How's it workin' for ya on the road?

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to teh interwebz, 52.5". Looks about right, going by the space left between the edge of the 4 by 8 I have in there now, and the wheelwell.

Right now, I'm thinkin' two runs of 100" L-track, approx 24-30" apart, with a 4' piece of vertical E at the door, as Moot suggested. For the floor, 3/4 birch, 8' long, ripped to fit around the L-track. I want to do a bulkhead so that I don't hafta heat/cool/insulate the whole cargo section.

A question for another, warmer day: how to mount a window-shaker a/c in the front window, while keeping the cool in and the bugz out.

BTW, that setup in your truck looks wicked sweet. How's it workin' for ya on the road?

Well it sounds like with your bulkhead and your wheel well width you'll easily have enough room for two 48" L x 40" W pallets, you could even load them sideways and have almost 20" leftover if the freight is not hangin over... I used oak in my floor... IMHO I would try and put some sort of insulation in the floor...

The truck is working out great!!! All the shippers and consigness really love the truck and the ease of loading and unloading freight... They especially love the load lights and cargo area lights and my cargo pulling system... The pallets just slide right out on the oak floor...