Kudos to Michelin

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How much of mileage improvement did you see?

Also how about the stability?

Still thinking about them for this crate, and asked Freightliner about it and they said "sure, good tires"

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had Super-Singles on our truck for 3 years and availability has never been a problem. I ordered them right from the factory and they have been great tires. I see no reason not to have them.

Exactly! Which is why we wanted Michelin wide base singles back on this truck.

The stability of our past tires were great. Will the stability be just as good on these new lower rolling resistant tires be as good? Who knows but from our past experience with our tires we are willing to give it a try.

Our fuel mileage will be interesting as we went from worn tires (12/32 tread) to the XDN2 (27/32 tread) tires and used them for a few thousand miles and now we have the XDA Energy tires on with a tread depth of 24/32.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have had Super-Singles on our truck for 3 years and availability has never been a problem. I ordered them right from the factory and they have been great tires. I see no reason not to have them.

I'm not looking to start a spat here (we're talking about tires, not children or religion) but I do feel compelled to point out that Michelin Wide Base singles are not always available. That is a simple fact and one any tire buyer would do well to consider.

Super singles may have been available to you when you wanted them but that does not mean that availability will never be a problem. Indeed, I know of two cases where availability (actually, unavailability) has been a problem.

The main reason Diane and I don't have super singles on our truck right now is that once, when we were ready to buy them, and a Michelin dealer in Indiana worked out a very good deal with us for trading in our wheels for the wheels super singles require, Michelin could not deliver the tires. We were ready, willing and able to buy. The dealer had put the order in well ahead of time. We wanted the tires but Michelin failed to deliver.

Note also what TeamCaffee reports:

We run the Michelin Wide Base singles and after 380,000 miles we developed a bubble on the sidewall. We were in upper Minnesota and were lucky enough that we had several hours before we had to pick up our load. We called around to the local dealers and finally found a dealer that had one Michelin Wide Base single that was the XDN2 which has a horrible rolling resistance. We bought the tire as we needed to get our load. After we delivered we went looking for the XDA Energy tire and could not find one so we purchased another XDN2. We immediately saw a huge dip in our fuel mileage due to new tires and the tires we had purchased.....

Is that not also a real-world case of the tires being unavailable? True, they eventually got the tires they wanted but when I think of a tire being available, I think of the ability to go into a store and buy one on the spot, or to have road service bring one out without having to order it first.

My own experience and the Caffee report give me pause about super singles. Diane and I dont' need drive tires now but before I would think again about buying super-singles, I would call at least ten dealers around the country with a hypothetical road service need to see if they could fill it. I would also want hard data on fuel economy results for straight trucks (not fish stories), and I would want to factor in the cost differences generated by wheel changes, tire chains, and anything else that came into play.

Regarding truck stability, the truck we are in now has ten wheels on the ground at all times. It is far and away the most stable of the seven trucks we have driven. I have no doubt that increased stability is an important benefit of super singles on many trucks. But with our truck, it is not because we have no stability problem to solve.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. I would also want hard data on fuel economy results for straight trucks (not fish stories), and I would want to factor in the cost differences generated by wheel changes, tire chains, and anything else that came into play.

sorry do disappoint you ,but you will have a real hard time getting that . too many factors effect fuel millage ,so you will just have to pick the fish you like the most .

you will also probably need to regear the rear ends ,or slow down.

i have the 'overpass-rock' Greatec SS tires on my truck ,and at 200,000 ,am very happy with them ,going to get them regrooved before winter .
had to replace one do to a sidewall nail ,2 weeks ago ,and found out that all the TA's carry them . GooD !

i think the 'good' Micheline tires availability will become less of an issue ,once they get rid of the overstocked 'bad' Micheline tires. ,or if fuel price go up.

personally ,i will never go back ,& that's how a Moose tell a fish story .

Attachments

• 100_3962.jpg
    100_3962.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 6