Kitchen Kettle multicooker/steamer by Presto

are12

Expert Expediter
Has anyone else bought the Kitchen Kettle?

I have had mine for about a month and love it!! This pot steams, stews, roasts, boils and deep fries. Plus, it cooks so much faster than a crockpot.

I have done whole chickens, turkey breasts, meatloaf, ribs, chicken breasts, browned hamburg, steamed vegs and seafood and boiled pasta. And I use the crockpot liners so it is easier to clean.

It is such a great pot that I thought I would share the information.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Arlene, How does it compare to the Rice Cooker? I have a rice cooker, and I've done just about everything in it except deep fry.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Wow! That does look like a handy thing to have in the truck. The main difference I see in this and the rice cooker is that this has a temp control so you can decide on the temp you want to use. With the rice cooker you can only control it with high/low.

And Arlene, you can use this rather than a slow cooker? So we could eliminate the rice cooker AND the crock pot?? That would save room and weight. I sure like the idea of having one pot to do it all. I'm putting this on my list to check out next time we are in a Target or WalMart. Thanks for the tip!!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I didn't think about the temperature control! With the rice cooker you do have to watch it carefully because there is no temperature control.

are12

Expert Expediter
I have never used a rice cooker so I can't compare it to that but you can definitely leave the crockpot at home!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Arlene you made my day!! Right now I have the crockpot and the rice cooker because I can't do everything in one or the other. You have solved that problem. Off to Walmart I go :D

are12

Expert Expediter
Arlene you made my day!! Right now I have the crockpot and the rice cooker because I can't do everything in one or the other. You have solved that problem. Off to Walmart I go :D

Pelicn,

You will love this kettle! It certainly cuts down on the cooking time.

The hardest part is getting use to what setting to use so you can plan your meal. I was so use to the crockpot taking all day to cook things that I had a hard time judging on when to start the meals. After having it for a month, I am getting better!:p

Yesterday, we did a whole chicken (it was still frozen since it was a last minute decision), it weighed about 6 lbs and it only took 3 hours at 200 degrees. If that was the crockpot, that would have taken all day.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I'm a dork! I went to Walmart today for truck supplies and walked right out without it. :mad: Remembered it about the time we got back to the truckstop . Next time!!

are12

Expert Expediter
I do not know what the wattage is, I looked through the paperwork and on the kettle but could not find anything. I know it was on the box but can't remember what it was. Sorry.

Not sure about using it for grilling either. Haven't attempted anything like that but I will have to give that some thought.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Okay, here is my take on the new Kitchen Kettle. First of all, Arlene, thanks sooooo much for telling us about it! I think I am going to love it once I get used to it.

I found the following things that bother me a little but I love the cooker so much I can deal with the negatives:

1. It does not fit down in the sink when plugged in. So I have an extension cord (heavy duty) stretched to the floor where the cooker is sitting.
2. The electric cord is magnetic. The temp control plugs into the unit but the electric part of it is magnetic so it will pop away from the unit with the least little movement. That means I need to keep an eye on it while I'm adding things to the unit so it won't come unplugged. Once it gets going, though, I shouldn't be bothering it for it to come unplugged.
3. Depending on what I'm cooking it could be a slight hassle with two things. For instance, if I'm cooking spaghetti sauce and it gets done and I want to cook the pasta, I need to dump the sauce in another container to cook the pasta in the same pot. I could keep the rice cooker for that but I'd rather just have one cooker. I think what I'll do is put the sauce in a corning dish then cook the pasta. I used to cook the sauce in the crock pot and the pasta in the rice cooker.

The kettle gets really hot instantly! You can brown meat so fast! Then you start adding your other ingredients and set the temp control. Wow! I love this thing - even though it does have to sit on the floor.

I am trying a new recipe today and if it is good I'll post it later. It smells wonderful simmering in the kettle.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I looked at the Kitchen Kettle and I had a concern about if the outside gets hot? When Bob looked at the Kettle and the 1500 watts he got a little concerned. Poor guy thinks we need to haul around a huge power station!

What I like about the rice cooker, Rocket Grill, and the crock pot is that the outside stays cool to the touch.

I sure liked the idea of having a temperature control.

Keep us posted!

are12

Expert Expediter
Ihamner, I didn't think to mention that it does not fit in the sink. I was a little upset over that at first, until I realized I could leave it on the counter - even when the truck is moving!:eek:

I have mine sitting on the Basic Grip Shelf Liner and it does not go anywhere. Believe me, the 1st time I went to use it, while the truck was moving, I was a nervous wreck but not anymore.

I have not had any problems with the magnetic cord coming out, unless of course, I move the kettle. I was amazed it didn't disconnect with some of the lovely roads we have to travel.:rolleyes:

When I am doing a dish, that has pasta, I just cook the pasta 1st and set it on the side.

Before you know it, you will have a system figured out that works for you and you will only have the one cooker.

I just hope you enjoy using it as much as I do.

Make sure you let us know that new recipe!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Does the outside of the kettle get hot? I didn't think about that until Linda mentioned it

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I had not thought of the grip shelf liner to use under the Kettle. I have all my shelves in the truck lined with that stuff and it really helps to keep stuff from moving around.