Kinda Funny if you Think About it.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter owners!

I was in Ohio during some down time and needed an Oil change. I always carry a extra oil filter for my sprinter, for the "just in case things that happen" Well, looked around for a Dodge dealership....found one and ask if they could change the oil in a Sprinter if I had the filter. "Whats a Spliter...Splinter...huh, Sprinter? I said "thanks" and went on to the next site. I found a Wal-Mart, and was getting ready to settle in for the rest of the day.

"Why not?" I said.... drove around to the oil change place. Was met very quickly and was asked "what type of oil do you use and do you have a oil filter." WOW, ready, willing and able to change the oil. Yes, he did ask what kind of van was this?

Oil change at Dodge $147.90

Oil change at Wal-Mart $37.50

My Oil filter $5.75

Just a heads up in case you need a oil change.

Steady

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At 77cpm that $110 you saved is the same as getting an extra 143 mile run and you don't have to pay any taxes on it either. Good for you.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering what ever happened to D-C's polcy that thier five star dealers need to be competive with other service centers?

$110? do they go to Germany for the filter and oil?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg
My last oil change (and I mean my Last Oil change), was 147.00. Fuel filter change was 198.00. Dodge charged 98 labor and 85.00 for the filter. The rest was taxes.

I purchased a case of oil filters for around 5.75 each. I have ordered fuel filters for 27.00.

Steady

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It doesnt cost that much for a Class D and how many gallons does this hold? Unless of course your dumb enough to go to Canada. I will remain nameless.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Greg
>My last oil change (and I mean my Last Oil change), was
>147.00. Fuel filter change was 198.00. Dodge charged 98
>labor and 85.00 for the filter. The rest was taxes.
>
>I purchased a case of oil filters for around 5.75 each. I
>have ordered fuel filters for 27.00.
>
>
>Steady

WOW, I never even thought about it but do they have a captured market or think they do?

I am wondering if D-C is going to pull something like GM did in the mid 90's; "you didn't have this work done at a dealer, it is out of warentee, too bad you blew your engine... a new one is $7000, pay at the window."

GM got caught and had to pay back a lot of money for cheating people, a ot was due to oil changes. there is a law that covers after market accessories and maintaince, can't think of it but someone will post it.

Anyway $85 for a filter? those foriegn car companies try to make money off of everything.

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
Hold the phone Greg,

There is a Federal Law dealing with any such crap from dealers. I can't quote it to you, but it does exist. If any of the dealers decide to pull that on you, you will be able to sue them (and win)to your hearts content. They might try to bluff you, but I will bet they know the law too. OOIDA might be coanizant of the law and be of help.

:7

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a Sprinter go about 10,000 miles between PM Service? Looks like it would work out even with a gas vehicle.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i also bought 4 oil filters they cost 9.00 each with shipping, my first oil change charges are 9.00 for filter 48.00 for 10 qts mobile synthetic at wallmart and 20.00 is what i paid my hometown quick lube to do the work......i have a built in engile oil analysis (which isnt saying much) i got 16,800 miles before my first oil change...my next oil change i went to dealer were i bought the sprinter..one of your advetisers, i was in the area and needed the ac looked at, of course they recharged it for free since it was under warranty, oil change price oil 65.70 filter 9.27 labor 41.65 then fuel filter 54.95 labor 65.00 for oil change and fuel filter change with tax 256.36.. i will go to the dealer every other oil change so they can check out the vehicle and every other one at the neighborhood quick lube...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok I am wondering about something;

How much time does it take for the dealer to change the oil in comparison to the quick lube place?

The reason I ask is the labor charges are too high at the dealer and if the quick lube place takes 20 minutes to drain, change filer and fill than it seems that there is some price fixing going on here through D-C’s labor rate book for the sprinter. I know that changing the oil at any other business will not affect your warrantee, even if the deal says it will.

My last oil change I was in there for 25 minutes because the tech took a phone call, other wise it is normally 15 minutes. Two gallons of oil, top up all the fluids, check the tires and clean the widows.

Even if the quick lube place takes 45 minutes, anything over on hour labor is not right and no one should expect to pay for it. Each dealer (I know this for a fact that it is in the D-C/dealer agreement) has to disclose the flat labor rate for all work before the work is done and if asked they are to explain it to the customer. I know that most don’t explain a thing (here hurry up and sign this), but they do have it posted on the wall in the service department.

I wish I was a lawyer, I would have so much fun